IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Valve Spring and Accelerator Pedal Fixed...

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-10, 10:12 AM
subliiime
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve Spring and Accelerator Pedal Fixed...

I just recently took in my IS350 and had the valve spring recall and accelerator pedal recall fix done.

Since I have the sport pedals I didn't even really want to do the pedal recall but the dealership guy insisted that I do it since I could be liable for any injuries that may occur due to not doing the recall if I sell my vehicle in the future. He showed me the new, improved and "safer" pedal which looked pretty similar to the original one so I was like alright, whatever. Visually it looks a little bit smaller, but when driving it feels just like the old one.

As far as the valve spring fix, I don't really notice anything different about the "engine feel" or acceleration so thats a good thing.

I dropped it off at 7:30am Monday morning, got a 2010 RX350 loaner (at no charge) which was nice, and got my IS350 back at 6:00pm Tuesday the next day. So a pretty quick turnaround. They filled up my gas tank too which was nice.

Overall, a pretty smooth experience with an opportunity to try out a different Lexus for a little bit.
Old 09-22-10, 11:30 AM
509IS350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice I'm about to do the Same thing on the 8th of Oct. At Lexus of Bellevue hopefully I can drive a new 10 or 11 is350
Old 09-22-10, 11:40 AM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

Anyone know what Octane the dealer puts in our cars? I assume it is 91? I always use 93 and if they are going to put 91 I'll just tell them to not fill it up.
Old 09-22-10, 11:55 AM
simple
Pole Position

had mine done last week, they'd told me that they'll fill up my tank and wash my car but I didn't want them to drive my vehicle all over town being that it's lowered. also declined the car wash so all they'd really did was work on the valve spring and replace the pedal. dropped it off at 8am, picked up at 5pm (same day), and like OP, they'd gave me a 2010 RX350 as a loaner.
Old 09-22-10, 12:42 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by E6BAV8R
Anyone know what Octane the dealer puts in our cars? I assume it is 91? I always use 93 and if they are going to put 91 I'll just tell them to not fill it up.
Why? As far as your car is concerned there's absolutely no difference whatsoever. The car is programmed to expect 91, higher than that does nothing at all.
Old 09-22-10, 01:47 PM
sw2oboi
Lead Lap

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by subliiime
I just recently took in my IS350 and had the valve spring recall and accelerator pedal recall fix done.

Since I have the sport pedals I didn't even really want to do the pedal recall but the dealership guy insisted that I do it since I could be liable for any injuries that may occur due to not doing the recall if I sell my vehicle in the future. He showed me the new, improved and "safer" pedal which looked pretty similar to the original one so I was like alright, whatever. Visually it looks a little bit smaller, but when driving it feels just like the old one.

As far as the valve spring fix, I don't really notice anything different about the "engine feel" or acceleration so thats a good thing.

I dropped it off at 7:30am Monday morning, got a 2010 RX350 loaner (at no charge) which was nice, and got my IS350 back at 6:00pm Tuesday the next day. So a pretty quick turnaround. They filled up my gas tank too which was nice.

Overall, a pretty smooth experience with an opportunity to try out a different Lexus for a little bit.
so im assuming you cant use your sport pedals anymore?
Old 09-22-10, 02:45 PM
650IS350
Lead Lap

Last time I was at my dealership in redwood city, they didn't have clearance yet to start doing the Valve recall yet.
Old 09-22-10, 05:06 PM
subliiime
Rookie

Originally Posted by sw2oboi
so im assuming you cant use your sport pedals anymore?
No, if you have sport pedals now and you go in and do the pedal recall, they will put a new, improved, and "safer" sport pedal. Not regular. I was wary of doing the recall because I thought I'd be downgraded to the regular pedals for the recall, but that is not the case.

..but if you're asking me if they let me keep the original sport pedal, then the answer is no, they did not give it back.
Old 09-22-10, 05:12 PM
Synetix250
Driver

i'm from portland, or and i had my gas pedal, valve and engine re-program done last month at lexus of portland and they did the whole 9 yards also. filled my tank up, washed it, got a loaner for the night (2010 es350, i asked for the is-f but they said they stopped lending them due to a high amount of speeding tickets by those who borrowed it lol). i didnt want to do it either, but they said i would be held liable for it and would have to contact lexus corporate-so i said fine, do it. good service though and im glad i got it done just in case, who knows..
Old 09-22-10, 05:19 PM
LyleBeach
Driver

Originally Posted by 509IS350
Nice I'm about to do the Same thing on the 8th of Oct. At Lexus of Bellevue hopefully I can drive a new 10 or 11 is350
Good luck with that... Everytime I have gotten a loaner from L of Bellevue, they give me an ES
Old 09-22-10, 07:17 PM
sw2oboi
Lead Lap

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

No, if you have sport pedals now and you go in and do the pedal recall, they will put a new, improved, and "safer" sport pedal. Not regular. I was wary of doing the recall because I thought I'd be downgraded to the regular pedals for the recall, but that is not the case.

..but if you're asking me if they let me keep the original sport pedal, then the answer is no, they did not give it back.
i got my recall done already. i planned to get sport pedals, very nice to know they make "safer" sport pedal.
Old 09-22-10, 07:21 PM
tylern24
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 509IS350
+1 I hope I get a new one too. I'm dropping mine off Monday night (09/27) for the valve spring recall.
Old 09-22-10, 10:26 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Synetix250
i'm from portland, or and i had my gas pedal, valve and engine re-program done last month at lexus of portland and they did the whole 9 yards also. filled my tank up, washed it, got a loaner for the night (2010 es350, i asked for the is-f but they said they stopped lending them due to a high amount of speeding tickets by those who borrowed it lol). i didnt want to do it either, but they said i would be held liable for it and would have to contact lexus corporate-so i said fine, do it. good service though and im glad i got it done just in case, who knows..
Sorry guys but it just sounds like your advisers were strong arming you. It's your car, and they can suggest all they want but in the end it's your choice. If folks bothered to read the fine print for the floormat/pedal recall, they'd take note that "The vehicle is not subject to the recall if the mats are installed correctly". If it gives you piece of mind, then by all means do the recall. At least you'll get a free tank of gas via a campaign. Dealerships love warranty work because it pays the technicians.
Old 09-23-10, 08:44 AM
AMSPHAN
Rookie

My car is currently at the dealership getting both recalls done. My question is.. will they do an oil change on the vehicle? Reason why I'm asking is because I JUST spent $90 on syntheic oil and don't want them change for a while. The advisor said they would "top" it up.. but I just want to see if draining the oil is a must for the valve spring procedure.
Old 09-23-10, 09:25 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LyleBeach
Good luck with that... Everytime I have gotten a loaner from L of Bellevue, they give me an ES
When I had my IS250AWD at Lexus of Bellevue, they gave me a fully loaded RX350. Nice and all, but too large to my liking (except for my dad who likes RX!!). When I had it brought in again for service, I told them not to give me an RX, so they had either the HS or ES, and I ended up with an ES.

Quick Reply: Valve Spring and Accelerator Pedal Fixed...