IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Terrible road noise 2007 is350

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-10, 08:17 AM
ewelty
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The stock Potenzas on the IS350 make a lot of road noise. On my 2007, these seemed like the one un-Lexus like piece on the car. It was almost like Lexus forgot to sound deaden the wheel wells.

I replaced them at 20K miles with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires and couldn't be happier. They're a lot quieter, stick better on wet and dry, and the steering feel is noticeably smoother on my car. It was initially a bit of a shock since the car was more refined AND performing better with the Michelins.
Old 09-17-10, 08:33 AM
intellis
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ewelty
The stock Potenzas on the IS350 make a lot of road noise. On my 2007, these seemed like the one un-Lexus like piece on the car. It was almost like Lexus forgot to sound deaden the wheel wells.

I replaced them at 20K miles with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires and couldn't be happier. They're a lot quieter, stick better on wet and dry, and the steering feel is noticeably smoother on my car. It was initially a bit of a shock since the car was more refined AND performing better with the Michelins.
I guess i will have to give these Michelins a try. My car tends to sway to the right a lil. I took it a Lexus dealer and they deemed it fine. They said the steering was good, axle was good, and that there was nothing wrong with my car. I think it is the potenzas so now i will change them out.
Old 09-17-10, 12:12 PM
intellis
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ISBU
Check your tires if they are directional. If not, you can rotate it side to side without dismount and remount. These are some tires that are non directional...Continental Extreme Contact DW, Goodyear F1 Assym,
Bridgestone RE050, and the Michelin PS2. In your case, its too late to do anything except to replace it. Check with tirerack if they have the sizes that you want. I also notice that the 2010 IS's have non directional tires from the factory. More and more tiremakers now are making nondirectional tires.
So let me make sure I am understanding this correctly... non-directional you can rotate side to side and directional you can not.
Old 09-17-10, 02:35 PM
VF84
Pole Position

yes.

if u want super quiet, try some of those low-rolling resistance tires. but generally, u'll trade grip for the quietness (until u reach their adhesion limit, then they'll just squeal like a pig). on the otherhand, they may offer higher mpg.
Old 09-17-10, 06:44 PM
ISBU
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by intellis
So let me make sure I am understanding this correctly... non-directional you can rotate side to side and directional you can not.
Yes Sir, you can read about tire rotation here... http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=43
Old 04-09-11, 08:09 AM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

i just test drove a 2010 Lexus IS 300(gulf spec) which ran on the same bridgestone Potenza's mentioned in this thread. It was really very noisy on harsh roads although it was quiet and silent on smooth pavements.

Why are Lexus still offering Bridgestones if they knew its ruining their interior cabin noise ?.

Is it best to ask my dealer to change the tires since what I could gather from this thread is that Bridgestone's are the only Culprit for the noise issue.
Old 04-09-11, 11:04 AM
texas02118
Driver

I have Toyo Proxes4 tires. Are they any good? I bought my car used!
Old 04-09-11, 02:11 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by texas02118
I have Toyo Proxes4 tires. Are they any good? I bought my car used!
btw, how's the road noise on those Proxes4's?
Old 04-11-11, 02:35 PM
gocubs08
Pole Position

My 07' IS250 had Potenza 050! those are the noisy suckers.. My 08' 350 had Turanzas, which were super quiet.. they are crap, but super quiet.

Just got a set of Potenzas RE760's and love them!
Old 11-01-15, 09:59 AM
videopho
Driver School Candidate

sorry to wake this thread up from the dead.
Made the 1st long road trip yesterday and the front tire noise drove me nuts.
Can anyone recommend a front pair directional with smooth and quiet ride?
Mine 2007 IS350
Old 11-01-15, 10:04 AM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you sure its the tires and not the wheel bearings? What tires do you have? Realize also that Texas is home to roads which generate low-frequency soundwaves that Lexus is poor at blocking, so it's hard to get it to be quiet.
Old 11-01-15, 10:52 AM
videopho
Driver School Candidate

Pretty sure they are the problem.
The front has two different brands of tire when we bought the car.
Looking at the Hankook (cheap but quiet) or whatever else you guys have had good luck with as far as quietness and comfort.
Old 11-01-15, 12:36 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

If a tire wears evenly across the entire tread surface it will become quieter, if it wears unevenly it will get noiser. 06-08 IS need to have near zero toe alignment to wear evenly. Michelin tires are the quietest thruout the life of the tire. I like the 235/40/18 size for the front, requires less psi for better ride & handling.
Old 11-01-15, 01:40 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by videopho
sorry to wake this thread up from the dead.
Made the 1st long road trip yesterday and the front tire noise drove me nuts.
Can anyone recommend a front pair directional with smooth and quiet ride?
Mine 2007 IS350
Michelin's AS or Continentals control contacts. The latter I'd only recommend for sports car. The Conti's ride very similar to the more expensive Michelin's like twins actually but at a lower price point. Highly recommend either.

Being objective....
Don't not get the conti's brand tires for suv however. Three months of whack-a-noise trying to hunt down steering wheel vibration. Replaced the whole front, four balances, two new set of tires(same brand) end eventually it turns out to be the tires. Anyway can't go wrong with those two. Good luck.
Old 11-01-15, 05:34 PM
jjc250
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So my stock 07 AWD needs 4 new tires and I'm looking at the Cont. DWS06 vs. the DWS. Would anyone recommend them? I'm looking for super soft ride and a gas saver tire. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Terrible road noise 2007 is350