Question about HID Fog Lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-10, 09:37 PM
rbudiman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about HID Fog Lights

Hi,

Do you guys have any recommendations on a kit of HID fog lights? (reasonable price and quality). Where can i get it? I'm planning to get 8000k.

Actually, will there be any difference in the color if I use different brands for my low and fog? (same temperature) . Because I installed the low (8000k) already with an unknown brand I got from ebay.

Last thing, I live in Minneapolis MN... I was just wondering if someone know where I can go to get my fog light converted to HID and how much it will cost (approx) for the labor?

Thanks a lot

Last edited by rbudiman; 09-12-10 at 09:46 PM.
Old 09-12-10, 09:59 PM
aznpapaya
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rbudiman
Hi,

Do you guys have any recommendations on a kit of HID fog lights? (reasonable price and quality). Where can i get it? I'm planning to get 8000k.

Actually, will there be any difference in the color if I use different brands for my low and fog? (same temperature) . Because I installed the low (8000k) already with an unknown brand I got from ebay.

Last thing, I live in Minneapolis MN... I was just wondering if someone know where I can go to get my fog light converted to HID and how much it will cost (approx) for the labor?

Thanks a lot
i think a lot of people here likes ddm or hidextra cause of their price and pretty good quality. as for the colors, there should be a little difference since some brand specify 10000k as white while others specify 5000k(please correct me if im wrong). also how long have you had your low? because over time the color output will change therefore the two might not match if that's what you're going for. for installation, do it yourself, there's a lot of dyi on here plus it's not that hard it's pretty much a plug-and play you just gotta take off the bumper unless you have really really small hand
Old 09-12-10, 10:13 PM
rbudiman
Driver School Candidate

do you know the website where I can get it? And if u don't mind, can u also give me the link for the DYI on the installation? Thanks
Old 09-12-10, 10:17 PM
FiLtHyGS
Rookie

there actually a youtube video to install it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7k7XwaXzhI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLeB0...eature=related
Old 09-12-10, 10:18 PM
FiLtHyGS
Rookie

but i dont recommend ebay hid kit it such low quality kits
Old 09-12-10, 10:21 PM
quang
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

He already has 8k low, and looking for fog

DIY for sure, and no need to take the bumper off either, try to follow the link below
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...tallation.html
Old 09-12-10, 10:40 PM
CCM03
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Deffinatly install them yourself if you can. Labor is expensive.
Old 09-13-10, 01:06 AM
simple
Pole Position

rbudiman, I live in Bloomington and converted both my low and fogs to hid. Holla at me if u need help, local ftmfw mang...

Oh and btw, I'd went with Hidextra (8000k lows and 3000k fogs)...
Old 09-13-10, 03:04 AM
g_abac
Pole Position

The HID Fog lamps that I found at some website which also coming with LED was price around $ 2,000. Too expensive for this choice.

You may find another HID fog lamp kit with lower price by search them with google.
Old 09-13-10, 08:10 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

It will be VERY difficult for you to get an exact match. There are just so many variables: brand differences, projector lows vs. reflector fogs, age of bulbs, etc. Maybe go yellow? Otherwise it'll probably be trial and error.

As for recommendations, +1 for DDM Tuning or HIDExtra.

Originally Posted by g_abac
The HID Fog lamps that I found at some website which also coming with LED was price around $ 2,000. Too expensive for this choice.

You may find another HID fog lamp kit with lower price by search them with google.
Those must be the JDM projector fogs (vs. standard reflector, halogen fogs in USDM ISx50s) you saw, which as you mentioned come with LED DRL's as a cluster to the side of the fogs. I'm sure the OP is talking out simply putting HIDs into his standard fog housings, which could cost as little as $50-$60 for a kit.
Old 09-13-10, 08:32 AM
rbudiman
Driver School Candidate

so, for the fog lights, I should get the 9006 one right? And how about the wattage? should I get 35W or 55W one?
In their website (DDM tuning), they also offer HID harnesses and error code eliminator, Do I need to get one of those?

Last edited by rbudiman; 09-13-10 at 09:23 AM.
Old 09-13-10, 09:35 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

so, for the fog lights, I should get the 9006 one right? And how about the wattage? should I get 35W or 55W one?
In their website (DDM tuning), they also offer HID harnesses and error code eliminator, Do I need to get one of those?
Yes, 9006 HID conversion kit is what you need. I'm not extremely knowledgeable about the subject, but I remember people saying 35W is safer, but 55W can be done (something about the harnesses melting if you're not safe).
Old 09-13-10, 10:38 AM
rbudiman
Driver School Candidate

how about the harness and error code eliminator? Do i need to get those too?
Old 09-13-10, 10:55 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

how about the harness and error code eliminator? Do i need to get those too?
Can't say for sure, so hopefully someone else can chime in. I don't believe you need the error code eliminator. I thought most HID kits already come with a relay harness - if the kit doesn't include one, you should probably get one. The relay harness ensures a constant supply of power.
Old 09-13-10, 02:49 PM
aznpapaya
Lead Lap

for sure get the 35w or else the extra wattage will melt your fog's housing, unless you have Phillips HID bulb which could be a little pricey. if you're buying it from ddm you will need to buy the relay harness as the kit do not come with it.

quang: and i prefer to my bumper off when i installed mine because i wanted to mount the ballast behind the support beam.

Quick Reply: Question about HID Fog Lights