IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Opening trunk without key while all doors unlocked

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-10, 08:51 PM
SilentWish
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Opening trunk without key while all doors unlocked

so i know there are lots of things we can customize in terms of defaults on the IS
such as unlocking all doors vs only unlocking the drivers door when you put your hand in the driver door handle
lock doors when shifting down from P vs lock doors only when the car is on D and achieves of 20km/h speed
all doors unlocking when shift to P vs all doors stay locked when shift to P

unlocking the trunk using the button to the right side of the license plate requires having the key on you
either that, or you have to go and hit the open trunk button to the left of the steering wheel even if you have all 4 doors unlocked already.
i came from a hatch back car.. and i was able to use the trunk door button to open the trunk as long as all four doors are unlocked, but it seems like the IS does not allow that, which i find a bit annoying.

I park my car to P, all doors are unlocked, i run to the trunk to open the trunk door so my friends can put their stuff in.. then i noticed the trunk door cannot open because the key is sitting in the center console.. so i have to run back to the driver seat and open the trunk door there..

any way to customize it so that the trunk door button works when all four doors are unlocked even without having the key on you?
Old 08-26-10, 08:59 PM
simple
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haven't heard of such a thing on the 2is but I'll wait til someone with more knowledge chime in, I'm wondering why u just don't hit the trunk button before u head out to the trunk to open it?
Old 08-26-10, 09:04 PM
SilentWish
Pole Position

Originally Posted by simple
Haven't heard of such a thing on the 2is but I'll wait til someone with more knowledge chime in, I'm wondering why u just don't hit the trunk button before u head out to the trunk to open it?
lol that's a good question
but like i said before
i guess its a matter of habit i need to build up
in my previous car.. unlocking all doors would give the feeling that even the trunk would be unlocked
i guess in the case of a sedan.. the trunk isn't considered a "door"
Old 08-26-10, 09:05 PM
simple
Pole Position

Yeah a hatch is considered a door vs a trunk.
Old 08-27-10, 12:07 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't recall such an LPS setting. I suggest you just keep your key in your pocket.
Old 08-27-10, 01:37 AM
6Sp33d
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same thing happens to me and i hate it! If theres a way to customize this setting i too would like to know.
Old 08-27-10, 07:19 AM
djkeebz
Driver School Candidate

wait, there is a trunk button? where? i never noticed a button in the back
Old 08-27-10, 08:07 AM
SilentWish
Pole Position

Originally Posted by djkeebz
wait, there is a trunk button? where? i never noticed a button in the back
see that little square indent to the right of the license plate?
it's right there
you can press up, to the right of the license plate light, and you will feel the button
Attached Thumbnails Opening trunk without key while all doors unlocked-lexus-is-250-chicago-il_32693_r1865_5.jpg  
Old 08-27-10, 08:10 AM
djkeebz
Driver School Candidate

Nice dude. Thanks. I'm sorry I just got my 2010 smokey granite is250.
Funny thing is, is when i get home i will go straight to my car and push that button.

Anyone know how to use the BT audio with an iPhone? I've tried playing music when my phone is connected via BT, but the BT option doesn't light up.
Old 08-27-10, 08:50 AM
SilentWish
Pole Position

Originally Posted by djkeebz
Nice dude. Thanks. I'm sorry I just got my 2010 smokey granite is250.
Funny thing is, is when i get home i will go straight to my car and push that button.

Anyone know how to use the BT audio with an iPhone? I've tried playing music when my phone is connected via BT, but the BT option doesn't light up.
lol when you get home and push the button, you'll understand why my first post says i'd prefer the button to work even without the key!

congrats on getting your IS! i just got mine a week ago as well! i have the truffle mica color 2010 as well
so i'm a noob and you can see i've started many posts asking small questions lol so i'm glad i can finally help someone out

do you have the nav? if you do i'm not sure if it's different from mine as i don't have the nav..
but you can setup your bluetooth audio device using the voice menu
say setup --> phone setup --> bluetooth audio setup
and i think it's pair phone afterwards? but listen to the menu and see what it says

cause even after you pair the phone to use as a speakerphone in the car, you still have to pair it as a bluetooth audio device in order to play all other sounds through speakers
Old 08-27-10, 10:07 AM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

yea alot of time i start off the car and leave my keys in the cup holder and run out to try to open the trunk only to find that the button doesnt work either. i wish there was a way to customize that button
Old 08-27-10, 10:08 AM
SilentWish
Pole Position

Originally Posted by edgeucated
yea alot of time i start off the car and leave my keys in the cup holder and run out to try to open the trunk only to find that the button doesnt work either. i wish there was a way to customize that button
those are exactly my thoughts

i've searched around tho.. nothing's been mentioned about this
i don't think it's customizable
Old 08-27-10, 10:34 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

hang on, so you want to unlock your trunk when you put it Park??? imo thats kinda 'not to bright'... you goto a mall put it in Park and you'll have to go and close your trunk everytime, you pull up to a curb to let someone out put it in park then drive away hit a bump and SLAM your trunk comes down... lets not forget if your driving in the rain, gotta get out to close your trunk everytime then get back in all wet...

i see more negatives than positives... maybe thats why you cant find any info cuz it~ di dee deee
Old 08-27-10, 10:37 AM
SilentWish
Pole Position

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
hang on, so you want to unlock your trunk when you put it Park??? imo thats kinda 'not to bright'... you goto a mall put it in Park and you'll have to go and close your trunk everytime, you pull up to a curb to let someone out put it in park then drive away hit a bump and SLAM your trunk comes down... lets not forget if your driving in the rain, gotta get out to close your trunk everytime then get back in all wet...

i see more negatives than positives... maybe thats why you cant find any info cuz it~ di dee deee
nonono

what i mean is that we have the choice of pressing the button to open the trunk without the key when the car is in Park
not entirely opening the trunk when in park!
kinda like.. when in Park, all doors are unlocked.. all four doors won't fly open at the same time, but all four of them are unlocked so people from outside can pull the handle to open the door
Old 08-27-10, 10:41 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ahhhhhhh ok, well our cars come with a button not a handle/latch so... you are SOL. and i like that you need the key in case you ever forget to lock your trunk...

Quick Reply: Opening trunk without key while all doors unlocked