IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

AESTHETICS ceramic coating

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-10, 07:12 PM
4drScion
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AESTHETICS ceramic coating

i just bought my hks exhaust and im thinking about ceramic coating it black... less noticeable to the cops. i have black rims,grill ,and badges i think it would look good and be a bit diffrent.

your thoughts???
Old 08-22-10, 10:09 PM
uz07lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4drScion
i just bought my hks exhaust and im thinking about ceramic coating it black... less noticeable to the cops. i have black rims,grill ,and badges i think it would look good and be a bit diffrent.

your thoughts???
If you have these mods already you gonna be standing out to the cops. I dont think this exhaust is that loud though. HKS is the same as the F-Sport which isnt that loud. If you want to see a pic of a blacked out exhaust I can take a pic of mine its full with carbon lol.
Old 08-22-10, 11:18 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The cops will most likely hear your car before they see it. Don't waste your money.
Old 08-23-10, 12:31 AM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 123 Likes on 48 Posts

Just get E cutouts!
Old 08-23-10, 04:29 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by uz07lex
HKS is the same as the F-Sport which isnt that loud.
I'm assuming he's talking about the HKS Hi-Power.

If you want to black-out the muffler, that might look nice, but not the entire exhaust. And I think a curious cop would still notice the massive cannons sticking out the back.
Old 08-23-10, 05:31 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm trying to figure out why anyone cares if a cop "notices" an exhaust that is legal in all 50 states.
Old 08-23-10, 05:56 AM
CleverName
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kurtz
I'm trying to figure out why anyone cares if a cop "notices" an exhaust that is legal in all 50 states.
Not sure about this comment Kurtz...
The HKS Exhaust must generate the "same decibel output or less than OEM" to be legal in all 50 states.
Is the HKS unit that quiet?

Vince
Old 08-23-10, 08:29 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CleverName
Not sure about this comment Kurtz...
The HKS Exhaust must generate the "same decibel output or less than OEM" to be legal in all 50 states.
Is the HKS unit that quiet?

Vince
50 state legal usually refers to emissions.

Which states law reads the way you describe regarding exhaust noise? The OP is in Nebraska and I can't find any such law in a quick check...

(though how the "look" of the exhaust would have any bearing on the amount of sound it puts out is a bit fuzzy for me too)

Quick edit- at a glance (again there might be others I'm missing and would love to be informed of em) the only states that seem to have some sort of "no louder than OEM" laws are florida, hawaii, idaho, illinois, kentucky, NY)... however, since Lexus offered an HKS exhaust as an OEM part, I suspect you could easily use that as a comparison level to go from. I'm not a lawyer though and this should not be taken as legal advice )

Last edited by Kurtz; 08-23-10 at 08:35 AM.
Old 08-23-10, 04:37 PM
CleverName
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kurtz
50 state legal usually refers to emissions.

Which states law reads the way you describe regarding exhaust noise? The OP is in Nebraska and I can't find any such law in a quick check...

(though how the "look" of the exhaust would have any bearing on the amount of sound it puts out is a bit fuzzy for me too)

Quick edit- at a glance (again there might be others I'm missing and would love to be informed of em) the only states that seem to have some sort of "no louder than OEM" laws are florida, hawaii, idaho, illinois, kentucky, NY)... however, since Lexus offered an HKS exhaust as an OEM part, I suspect you could easily use that as a comparison level to go from. I'm not a lawyer though and this should not be taken as legal advice )
Another is Washington state for noise... Any Exhaust louder than OEM.
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.37.390

Is the HKS exhaust as OEM documented?(just curious) I see many here touting F-Sport add-on accessories as OEM, but Lexus clearly states "F-Sport is an aftermarket supplier and not a factory product." Probably a legal out for them.

Noise laws will continue to grow in most states, I'm sure...
EDIT: Here is Nebraska: http://nebraskalegislature.gov/laws/...atute=60-6,371

Last edited by CleverName; 08-23-10 at 04:43 PM.
Old 08-23-10, 05:22 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CleverName
Another is Washington state for noise... Any Exhaust louder than OEM.
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.37.390

Is the HKS exhaust as OEM documented?(just curious) I see many here touting F-Sport add-on accessories as OEM, but Lexus clearly states "F-Sport is an aftermarket supplier and not a factory product." Probably a legal out for them.

Noise laws will continue to grow in most states, I'm sure...
EDIT: Here is Nebraska: http://nebraskalegislature.gov/laws/...atute=60-6,371

Good find on the NE law, they do indeed appear to be adding this in more places. Makes me glad I got the tanabe I guess since it's so quiet even if my state hasn't passed a law that dumb yet... all we have here is cutouts are illegal and it has to have "a" muffler of some kind.

Regarding HKS, well, the HKS dual sport exhaust was sold as a dealer-installed option prior to the F-sport line being released... (as in you could order it when you placed the order for your car and you took delivery of it from the dealer with it installed)...or you could buy it from a dealer after the fact too. (So it was like the optional Lexus wheels, or XM radio prior to 09 models)

They even still have the page up for the accessory in question-
http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/acces...st_by_HKS.html

"dual sport exhaust by HKS" is listed in the options list in the 2007 IS brochure right between ground effects package and XM radio in fact... so I'd certainly argue it's an OEM option...but again, I'm not a lawyer.

You can see the HKS listed in the brochure on page 14 of the 07 one here:
http://www.toyotareference.com/lexusis#IS