IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Car won't start - check VSC light

Old 08-13-10, 08:36 PM
evotolexus
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car won't start - check VSC light

Car won't start and I have the check VSC light. Car makes an exaggerated version of the engine startup noise. Hard to describe the noise, but the one that sounds like the valves or lifters priming at startup. It usually makes that sound briefly and then starts up. Well, now it makes that sound for a longer period, but wont start.

I'm thinking it's related to the valve spring recall i received this week.

Towing to dealer tomorrow. It's an '06 350.
Old 08-13-10, 11:00 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

be sure to get the obdII codes and the diagnosis so we can all see if it is the case.
Old 08-13-10, 11:30 PM
TokerIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this def. sounds like the valve recall.
Old 08-14-10, 08:03 AM
ptran
Rookie

Same thing dealer told me yesterday. Car wont run at all!
Old 08-16-10, 06:35 PM
RocknIS350
Driver School Candidate

O damn, my wife's IS 350 did the same thing today at discount tire. We waited for the repair service to come out and the car started up an hour later with the check vsc light on with engine and traction lights lit up. 15 minutes later everything cleared and started right up.
Old 08-16-10, 06:41 PM
Wish
Pole Position

there is a trick .. I used to do.. try to open gas cap .. and close it back!! till u reach the dealer!!

thank god.. I never faced this issue with 2010 model!
Old 08-17-10, 05:17 AM
Gustavo250
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RocknIS350
O damn, my wife's IS 350 did the same thing today at discount tire. We waited for the repair service to come out and the car started up an hour later with the check vsc light on with engine and traction lights lit up. 15 minutes later everything cleared and started right up.
This happened to me a week ago but car was running, they disconect battery and everything cleared
Old 08-17-10, 04:28 PM
evotolexus
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Odd thing, not if same result as others waiting or disconnecting the battery. But I bought a new battery and it started up just fine without any errors. Buddy is an engineer in the automotive industry and stated that a weak battery will not have enough power to initialize the brake components, so will throw errors and not start due to those errors.

Sounds like everyone has different scenarios and different results, but seems to be some link. By chance, did your brake pedal's lose all pressure and stiffen?

Taking dealer for valve recall and startup noise (cam gear TSB) next week. I'll see what they say.
Old 08-17-10, 05:15 PM
RocknIS350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by evotolexus
Odd thing, not if same result as others waiting or disconnecting the battery. But I bought a new battery and it started up just fine without any errors. Buddy is an engineer in the automotive industry and stated that a weak battery will not have enough power to initialize the brake components, so will throw errors and not start due to those errors.

Sounds like everyone has different scenarios and different results, but seems to be some link. By chance, did your brake pedal's lose all pressure and stiffen?

Taking dealer for valve recall and startup noise (cam gear TSB) next week. I'll see what they say.
The brake pedal was locked up on mine. It will be going to the dealer soon too for the recall.
Old 10-18-10, 03:37 PM
dallyboy
Driver School Candidate

My 07 GS 350 stopped on me while driving on freeway. Never started up since. It stopped accelerating, the VSC check & check engine lights came on. I immediately pulled over. Waited a few minutes. It never started again. Got it towed to the dealer.
Battery tested bad. put new battery in, sounded as if it were gonna start, but it didn't. My brakes tightened up too...
Dealer has had my car for about 4 weeks. When I went there to see what was taking so long, the brand new battery tested bad too!!!

Can you tell me what caused your vsc light to come on? And how did the dealer handle it? Did they repair something or did it just go away???

I want my car back!

Last edited by dallyboy; 10-18-10 at 03:46 PM.
Old 10-18-10, 10:39 PM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As mentioned before you should try removing the gas cap and resealing it. I've encountered this plenty of times after refueling. There might be a chance that it loosened up during driving.

dallyboy - If I'm not mistaken the car would technically not shut off if it was the battery? I would think that it's an alternator issue.
Old 10-18-10, 10:45 PM
jizz4jazz
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

same thing happened to me, just recharge your battery. DID you leave your car on without the engine on by any chance???
Old 10-18-10, 11:28 PM
rockinalex
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my car randomly makes a short rattle noise when i start the car , usually when its cold. but starts the engine fine. the difference is mine is a 2006 is250, i dont know if that affects the recall, or just the 350's ???
The following users liked this post:
FreHow (04-19-22)
Old 10-19-10, 05:22 AM
meangene
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nugentnsb
same thing happened to me, just recharge your battery. DID you leave your car on without the engine on by any chance???
I had a similar problem. My battery died and I had someone jump start it and the VSC light was on for about 5 mins and then it turned off. I haven't had a problem since.
Old 10-19-10, 08:06 AM
dallyboy
Driver School Candidate

Had alternator checked-was fine. Dealer says ECU is bad. But never metioned any codes. Had 2 other shops look at it and they say the ECU is fine, just keep getting check VSC.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car won't start - check VSC light