IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Need help installing trunk spoiler/roof spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-10, 07:31 PM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help installing trunk spoiler/roof spoiler

I tried to search for it but i couldn't find what i needed. So today I received my trunk/roof spoilers in the mail. They are replicas and I ordered them from ebay. The spoilers are painted and fitted nicely. They supplied the 3m tape. I started with the trunk spoiler which is an oem replica. I put one long line on the top, bottom, and middle. i stuck it on and pushed hard. After i finished i checked my work by trying to pull it off. one side was pretty strong while the other was pretty weak. I didn't feel confident in it so i ripped it off. Is there a stronger tape i can use? Or is there a specific way I'm suppose to put the tape on that makes it stay on better?

Next the roof spoiler. This one seems way easier and will prob stay on better cause there are no bends in this unlike the trunk spoiler. The only problem is i don't know where exactly I'm suppose to stick it on. Near the end of the roof, or the beginning of the glass? Is it suppose to cover up a bit of the rear windshield? Yes i know noob questions, but i need this done the right way lol.

Help me out guys!
Old 08-08-10, 07:54 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Roof spoiler (at least the Lexan one) fits on the glass only and butts up to the metal on the top edge.

I would use the 3M tape made for cladding and permanent attachment of body parts.....do a search on eBay, that's where I got mine a few years ago for about $12. It's the heavy duty stuff. My roof spoiler hasn't budged or showing any sign of lifting up so far.

Last edited by Evitzee; 08-08-10 at 07:58 PM.
Old 08-08-10, 07:56 PM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Roof spoiler (at least the Lexan one) fits on the glass only and butts up to the metal on the top edge.

I would use the 3M tape made for cladding and permanent attachment of body parts.....do a search on eBay, that's where I got mine a few years ago for about $12. It's the heavy duty stuff. My roof spoiler hasn't budged or showing any sign of lifting up so far.
yes i just figured out that it has to go on the glass, but what do you mean it butts up to the metal? like it should be aligned with it?

as for the 3M tape, i want to buy it tom at a home depot or walmart, do you think i can find it there? thanks!
Old 08-08-10, 08:03 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sleekbrian
yes i just figured out that it has to go on the glass, but what do you mean it butts up to the metal? like it should be aligned with it?

as for the 3M tape, i want to buy it tom at a home depot or walmart, do you think i can find it there? thanks!
The spoiler should be completely on the glass with the uppermost edge butted up against the metal roof (no gap). Simple.

You won't find the automotive heavy duty tape at a Home Depot or Walmart, maybe try a local automotive shop.
Old 08-08-10, 08:33 PM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Evitzee
The spoiler should be completely on the glass with the uppermost edge butted up against the metal roof (no gap). Simple.

You won't find the automotive heavy duty tape at a Home Depot or Walmart, maybe try a local automotive shop.
ok i gotcha with the roof spoiler, yea i thought that one would be easy.

hmm all i can think of is r & s strauss and pep boys close to me i hope they have it cause im dying to put it on /:
Old 08-09-10, 02:44 PM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

i installed the roof spoiler on easily. i went out to r and s strauss and bought super strength 3m tape. i used this for the trunk spoiler as well. one side is tightly secure while the other is pretty secure. when i apply pressure on that one side i hear creaking, while the other side i dont. i feel like i could rip it off on that one side. what should i do?
Old 08-09-10, 06:10 PM
516IS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like they say, Roof Spoiler goes on Glass only. Use the 3M Automotive adhesive tapes.

Pepboy won't have it, try Autozone, that's where I got mine in NY. It was around $12 a roll.
Old 08-09-10, 07:03 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sleekbrian
i installed the roof spoiler on easily. i went out to r and s strauss and bought super strength 3m tape. i used this for the trunk spoiler as well. one side is tightly secure while the other is pretty secure. when i apply pressure on that one side i hear creaking, while the other side i dont. i feel like i could rip it off on that one side. what should i do?
It is possible that the trunk spoiler is warped. Take it off and check its trueness on a flat surface.
Old 08-09-10, 07:54 PM
huntarrr
Rookie

I dont have any experience with these parts, but try taking a hair dryer to the spoiler to make it more elastic?