Carbon Fiber steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-10, 12:30 PM
ISCjonny
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 305iskid
No way id spend that much on something that looks like CF vinyl
Really? Let me know where you get CF vinyl that looks like the steering wheel. Didnt know they made CF vinyl that comes with a gel resin clear coat these days. If you think the steering wheel looks like his center console... then... i dunno what to say.

Here's a pic off their website.

with matching paddles.

Old 08-01-10, 12:35 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I got one from Limitless and like the pics that ISCJohnny posted, It's hella clean! I also have the real Carbon fiber dash kit as well. Just wanted something different!
Old 08-01-10, 12:41 PM
305iskid
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like carbon fiber and all, but i just don't know what it is, the wheel doesn't look right with it, the black cf is better but it still doesn't look good. I think it just looks like the covers you buy from advanced auto.

Cool that you spent $1000 on a couple inches of CF brah
Old 08-01-10, 12:54 PM
khoab88
Lead Lap

Default request

Originally Posted by Sffd103
I got one from Limitless and like the pics that ISCJohnny posted, It's hella clean! I also have the real Carbon fiber dash kit as well. Just wanted something different!
sffd103 can u post pic of the interior of ur car? and how much did u spend on those kit?
Old 08-01-10, 12:57 PM
khoab88
Lead Lap

Default request

I like carbon fiber and all, but i just don't know what it is, the wheel doesn't look right with it, the black cf is better but it still doesn't look good. I think it just looks like the covers you buy from advanced auto.

It is not looking good due to how well you match and blend the color. If you look at the LFA, it's the same environment where you apply carbon fiber. Carbon fiber, regardless of black or silver, only look good when it's near plain silver trim, refer back to the LFA steering wheel and you notice there's that silver center cover. Now if you apply the carbon fiber on the 2011 IS steering wheel, it will be a perfect match and blend.
Old 08-01-10, 01:04 PM
khoab88
Lead Lap

No offense to anyone that has carbon fiber vinyl wrap.

Real carbon fiber reflect under different lighting angle, most noticeable under sun light. That's where it looks beautiful. The texture is somewhat familiar to the snake skin but just reflect differently under various angles of view. Besides, it's light, and in tech term, it's kind of a high-end material.

Vinyl wrap is an alternative. In other word, it's a copy. It has the basic texture, but lack of beauty in the view.

I personally like the real thing over the alternative.
Old 08-01-10, 03:00 PM
LSCJJ
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sffd103
Sffd103 has the same one i had on my car. I currently have ISCJohnny's Silver one since i sold my black one... but I ordered another from Carbon Techniks already.

There is no such thing as Silver CF, as carbon fiber only comes in black. every other color is an alternative material like Texalium, an aluminum based fiberglass. The silver cf just takes some people to get used to.. and the silver cf wheel was really made to match the ISF interior.

Originally Posted by khoab88
sffd103 can u post pic of the interior of ur car? and how much did u spend on those kit?
I think the Carbon Technik wheels are the only one available floating around USA that is a direct OEM swap that i've seen for the pricerange. and it is a real CF replacement, not a clip on.

i believe you can get them with w/e stitching color you want. i believe they can extend the carbon fiber on the bottom as well but pricing will be a little different.

btw, these are the same kind that goes on a lamborghihi, ferrari,

No offense to anyone that has carbon fiber vinyl wrap.

Real carbon fiber reflect under different lighting angle, most noticeable under sun light. That's where it looks beautiful. The texture is somewhat familiar to the snake skin but just reflect differently under various angles of view. Besides, it's light, and in tech term, it's kind of a high-end material.

Vinyl wrap is an alternative. In other word, it's a copy. It has the basic texture, but lack of beauty in the view.

I personally like the real thing over the alternative.
True.. but there are things you cant wrap... coming from a guy that has wrapped my car 3-4 times in differnt vinyl colors, i will tell you that....
for example, there's no way to "wrap" a steering wheel in vinyl. you also cant create a carbon fiber roof for the IS, hence why people wrap the roof.

(taken from aerotect)

ISCJohnny and I were one of the first few to own Carbon Fiber steering wheels last year. Limitless Motorsports is the only authorized dealership i believe for the product other than buying from Carbon Techniks direct.

They are doing $950 with core trade and $1300 without i think.

Last edited by LSCJJ; 08-01-10 at 03:12 PM.
Old 08-01-10, 05:01 PM
ernestfyu
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The silver wheel looks sick with the isf interior..
Old 08-07-10, 03:02 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No offense to those who like the CF wheel and interior look, but to my eyes it just looks bad on any car, including Lamborghinis. For that matter I'm not even a fan of wood interiors, I ordered metal style trim on my car for that reason.

Call me old school but I like leather on the wheel where my hand grips it. I drove a Lexus with wood wheel once, and it didn't feel bad at all (and no doubt easier to keep the wheel clean and free of lotion and such), but as I said I like leather under my grip. I think the stock IS wheel feels perfect, if they would just tone down the size of the big L emblem so it doesn't reflect light in my eyes while driving.

Also, what's with the gaudy colored single stripe at the top of the porche/benz/lambo wheels?

Last edited by MBTC; 08-07-10 at 03:08 PM.
Old 08-07-10, 06:35 PM
khoab88
Lead Lap

1 other point i just notice is the size of size of the grip. CF looks good and reflect strong and manificient personality only if the grip is bigger like the one shown in the Lambo ^. But the IS stock steering is way slimmer and it's kinda weak too. Also they custom make the ISF steering not the stock and that cut down the bottom part.
Old 08-07-10, 10:08 PM
LSCJJ
Lexus Champion

1 other point i just notice is the size of size of the grip. CF looks good and reflect strong and manificient personality only if the grip is bigger like the one shown in the Lambo ^. But the IS stock steering is way slimmer and it's kinda weak too. Also they custom make the ISF steering not the stock and that cut down the bottom part.
the silver one was a little bigger grip than black. when i bought my black one, i ordered an OEM one, and Johnny's silver one was a padded perf. leather and the CF matched the size, so the grip was thicker.
Old 08-07-10, 10:52 PM
omgswifty
Pole Position

normal black cf looks sick, the lambo steering wheel looks like it belongs in a race boys wet dream (aka mine)
Old 08-08-10, 12:20 AM
355F1
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 382 Posts

You guys think these are overpriced...

The OEM Ferrari "Challenge" steering wheel for my Ferrari is $7500!!!
No, I don't own one, nor would I pay that much coin for a steering wheel.

Sure is nice buying inexpensive parts for one of my cars. I love my IS!
Old 08-08-10, 02:05 AM
khoab88
Lead Lap

The diameter of the grip plays an important role in the beauty. It looks weak and IMO is out-of-place when it's slim like the OE steering. It only looks good and bold when it's big grip like the Lambo steering. It's better with the straight bottom but that's not necessary as long as it's big in diameter.

You should check out the new CT200h steering. It's bigger in diameter and that made it looks sportier. Just that made it lots sportier even though we know it's slow. So I mean imagine applying the CT200h steering with custom CF, real one, reflexive under sunlight onto the IS. I mean how sick is that.
Old 08-08-10, 09:32 AM
kentaro
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by UV
True.. but there are things you cant wrap... coming from a guy that has wrapped my car 3-4 times in differnt vinyl colors, i will tell you that.... for example, there's no way to "wrap" a steering wheel in vinyl. you also cant create a carbon fiber roof for the IS, hence why people wrap the roof.
Does this count as real CF ??

-------------------------

We are also offering DTM KARBON Overlay for your roof!

available in 1by1 and 2by2weave.

the overlay is not done w/ vinyl, it actually carbon that's being laid on.

so if you guys need anything feel free to lmk!

if you have negative comments please leave them in your own thread.

2501 Tyler Ave, El Monte CA 91733

DTM AUTOBODY

Office Number:626.448.0903
Fax:626.448.8315
Email: DTMAUTOBODYSHOP@yahoo.com

THANK YOU EVERYONE!

-JACKSON!

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber steering wheel