IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Oil GUSHING out of the filter housing?!!?!

Old 07-25-10, 10:07 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil GUSHING out of the filter housing?!!?!

So....i just changed my oil. Everything was tight. O rings were in place. I cranked it up and brought it down off the ramps only to realize that ALL of the oil was gushing out of the filter housing.

So now I've got a gigantic oil stain and no oil in my car. I'm really concerned here, because everything appears correct.

any ideas?
Old 07-25-10, 10:09 AM
IS25Heaven
Lexus Test Driver

The O ring is not in place. I know this from experience. Is this your first time doing an oil change?
Old 07-25-10, 10:12 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

no, definitely not my first time. Which is why im taken aback by such a disaster.

Im thinking o ring wasnt in place either, but I checked it TWICE! When I loosen the filter housing again, the oring was exactly where it should have been.
Old 07-25-10, 10:13 AM
nMeOnE
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea you put the o ring at the bottom of the housing instead of in the notch.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 10-15-10 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-25-10, 10:13 AM
IS25Heaven
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry, thats the only thing i can think of.
Old 07-25-10, 10:42 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

ok, well......oil is changed. I dont know how or why the first time I tightened the filter housing it went bad. Like I said before, the o ring was in the right spot the whole time. This time it took, so I wont complain.

Coming up next, DIY oil clean up!!! Stay tuned.
Old 07-25-10, 11:17 AM
prankster
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did the o-ring fit tightly or very loose? If it was loose, the thread might have cut it. I bought a filter set from O'reilly and the o-ring didn't fit right. So I used the o-ring from oil industry. I'm working in oil service industry so I'm pretty familiar with o-ring design and usage.
Old 07-25-10, 11:33 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

well the one from the replacement filter was very loose. So i just reused the one that was on there after I inspected it for any problems. It still felt and looked just as good as the new one that didnt fit right.

I really dont know what could have happened, except that the o ring slipped out of its notch when I tightened it then slipped back into the notch as i took it off making it appear as if everything was correct.

Thats the only thing I can come up with.
Old 07-25-10, 01:03 PM
uz07lex
Lexus Test Driver

good thing it was the o-ring. I was about to say hopefully you dont have a crack on the housing.
Old 07-25-10, 08:12 PM
prankster
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 06isDriver
well the one from the replacement filter was very loose. So i just reused the one that was on there after I inspected it for any problems. It still felt and looked just as good as the new one that didnt fit right.

I really dont know what could have happened, except that the o ring slipped out of its notch when I tightened it then slipped back into the notch as i took it off making it appear as if everything was correct.

From your story, the oil didn't leak before you start the engine. To me that is a sealing issue since it started to leak after the engine started and the pressure was built up inside.

A good rule of thumb from oil industry: Never reuse o-ring that was used for high temperature application. High temperature would decompose the o-ring.

In your case, however, you did check the o-ring before hand so I'm not sure where the failure point is. Perhaps, you didn't check the o-ring carefully or tighten the cartridge strong enough. Just guessing...
Old 10-14-10, 11:51 PM
misterjj2u
Driver School Candidate

Glad I saw this. My wife's is250 just started gushing oil today. I noticed it when I moved her car--there was a trail of oil following me around.

After removing all of the 50 screws holding on the plastic armor belly pan, I saw the culprit--the f-ing oil filter.

Is it strange that it would start leaking on its own? Never was a problem before today.

Heading to the shop in the morning to pick up a new oil filter / O-ring so that I can replace everything this weekend.
Old 10-15-10, 12:49 PM
JEFFOS69
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes on cars when you remove the old oil filter the O Ring sticks and stays behind. It's easy to miss. When you put the new filter on it has a double O Ring because of this (old one and new one). This is too much space and causes a leak.
Old 10-15-10, 02:18 PM
BAMF350
Rookie

This happened to me last time I did my oil/filter change. I wasn't paying attention and the O-Ring shifted out of place. When I did my final check before turning on the engine everything was fine...but once the engine was one it was gushing oil all over my garage floor.

Glad everything turned out to be okay with yours.
Old 10-15-10, 02:56 PM
JMcDonald
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea 1 time the old o ring stayed on the housing and I didn't notice it and I had the same problem.....then I figured it out....o ring still attached Haha
Old 10-15-10, 04:42 PM
grondie
Merkur Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 06isDriver

Was the replacement filter a Wix by chance? I had a Wix that had a o-ring that was a bit to big and the same thing happened.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil GUSHING out of the filter housing?!!?!