IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Has anyone tinted their windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-10, 12:38 PM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shadowman
They can't impound your car for tint or other mod related violations. You'll just get a fine.

You sure? I remember watching a tv special in which cops break up street racing and impound any car with engine related modification. I think it was on MTV's tru life.
Old 07-21-10, 12:46 PM
mikefate
Lead Lap

Don't believe mtv's hype.

Ask any real racer.....
Old 07-21-10, 01:35 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Initial_K
You sure? I remember watching a tv special in which cops break up street racing and impound any car with engine related modification. I think it was on MTV's tru life.
The key word here is "street race" which is totally illegal. If the cops catch you in a street race or roadshow, they'll impound your car. They also fine the audiences as well. Real serious stuff which you don't want to be near.

But if you are drving legally under speed limit and they bust you for an illegal mod, you'll get fined plus fix it ticket. My friend had an integra that was heavily modded and should be deamed off road. But he got hit with a huge fine... cold air intake, header, turbo, too low ( it is illegal to have your tires under any part of your fender in CA), etc... He was running race setup stuff.
Old 07-21-10, 02:33 PM
IStrip50
Rookie

Originally Posted by MIA_LEX
If you deny search in my city, they call the dog and Id rather have him to a 30 second search rather then a dog scratch up my paint, leather etc...

50% is great I have it! Recommend getting it done asap!

Wrong.

The only way a police officer would be able to "legally" call a K9 is if he has "reasonable suspicion" of criminal activity. This "reasonable suspicion" cannot be created by your right to deny consent of the officer to search your car. However, if your car smells like gonga and the cop could smell it, then he will be able to search without your consent. This isn't a state to state thing either. This is the Constitution, which applies equally to all states.

Just a little public service announcement
Old 07-21-10, 06:13 PM
BradInPhx
Rookie

Originally Posted by IStrip50
Wrong.

The only way a police officer would be able to "legally" call a K9 is if he has "reasonable suspicion" of criminal activity. This "reasonable suspicion" cannot be created by your right to deny consent of the officer to search your car. However, if your car smells like gonga and the cop could smell it, then he will be able to search without your consent. This isn't a state to state thing either. This is the Constitution, which applies equally to all states.

Quoted for Truth
Old 07-21-10, 07:58 PM
MIA_LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LoL ok buddy your right. The cops word verse yours.... Whose going to win.
Old 07-21-10, 08:14 PM
Likwid XTC
Lead Lap

good topic start i was wodnering about this as i saw in the tint thread some had windshield tint
Old 07-21-10, 08:20 PM
350police
Driver

My whole car is done in 35% including the windshield..

Old 07-21-10, 08:44 PM
IStrip50
Rookie

Originally Posted by MIA_LEX
LoL ok buddy your right. The cops word verse yours.... Whose going to win.

Depends on who your lawyer is, I suppose
Old 07-22-10, 05:42 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by IStrip50
Wrong.

Just to add a little something to this. A cop's gut feeling, hunch or if he's spiderman undercover and his spidey sences tingle is not considered reasonable suspicion, or probable cause.
Old 07-22-10, 06:31 AM
IStrip50
Rookie

Originally Posted by B16da9
Just to add a little something to this. A cop's gut feeling, hunch or if he's spiderman undercover and his spidey sences tingle is not considered reasonable suspicion, or probable cause.
Haha...yea, I can imagine a judge asking why the police officer decided to search the car and him responding by saying it was his "spidey sense". That won't go over so well. But apparently there are people on this board who think the cop's word is gold, and that they can search your car whenever they feel like it.
Old 07-22-10, 02:51 PM
JoeCombs
Pole Position

cops word > anything you say.

didnt you guys see that speeding ticket case that went to the supreme court? the cop quoted say he didnt have a radar or anything to gauge the man's speed by, but it "looked" like he was going 70, so i gave him a ticket on zero proof. the guy fought it all the way to the supreme court and was heavily outvoted... cop>you

also Tint violations (in ohio at least) are a minor misdemeanor, meaning a cop is NOT allowed to pull you over for solely your tint, but this doesnt stop him for making up a bs reason to pull you over anyway...
Old 07-22-10, 02:59 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeCombs
cops word > anything you say.

didnt you guys see that speeding ticket case that went to the supreme court? the cop quoted say he didnt have a radar or anything to gauge the man's speed by, but it "looked" like he was going 70, so i gave him a ticket on zero proof. the guy fought it all the way to the supreme court and was heavily outvoted... cop>you

also Tint violations (in ohio at least) are a minor misdemeanor, meaning a cop is NOT allowed to pull you over for solely your tint, but this doesnt stop him for making up a bs reason to pull you over anyway...
I'm assuming you mean the Supreme Court of Ohio. I doubt this kind of case would go to the U.S. Supreme Court.
Old 07-22-10, 03:22 PM
JoeCombs
Pole Position

^^ yup
http://www.inquisitr.com/74724/ohio-speeding-tickets/
Old 07-22-10, 11:34 PM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I've decided not to tint the windshield, for fear of hitting someone during a turn in the evening hours.

Quick Reply: Has anyone tinted their windshield?