IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How to DRY your car?????????????

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-10, 10:23 PM
danhtran
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to DRY your car?????????????

**** just happen to me on last Saturday
So i went to work and park the car outside....... I remember I pull all the window up and lock the car....... After work i came to the car all the window were half way down and it was raining as hell.... The SEAT and FLOOR was supper WET.... How am i gonna dry my car? and its still raining from that day till now...... The car is really moisture
Can u guy gime some opinion about this?
BTW the moon-roof was still close.... lucky tho
Old 07-19-10, 10:32 PM
pli
Lead Lap

throw rice on your carpet for a day or two and vaccuum it afterwards? lol. just kidding (but hey, it'd work)
Old 07-19-10, 10:46 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

was your remote in your pocket? you probably pressed the unlock button and it rolled down the windows.

first get a wet/dry vac and vac up as much as possible, then grab as much silica packets as you can. those soak up a lot of moisture.

if you have a garage get some fans going.
Old 07-19-10, 11:45 PM
tigabalm
Rookie

Whatever you do to dry it out make sure you do it as fast as possible as well. Otherwise mold will start to set in and that just gets real ugly real fast.
Old 07-20-10, 01:11 AM
sw2oboi
Lead Lap

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

obviously whip down the plastic and leather as much as you can, remove seats and let them dry in the sun. i know that sounds kinda crazy,but id wanna get those as dry as possible quickly before mold grows. last thing with the carpets, it would help if u get a wet dry vac, not bunch of towels.

you were lucky that the sunroof didnt open up. if the button on your keyfob were held a bit longer it prob woulda crack open the sunroof. i hope everything gets dried nicely.
Old 07-20-10, 07:00 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First things first, keep your windows rolled down and use as many dry towels as possible to soak up the water. Most of that water is just going to evaporate.
Old 07-20-10, 08:28 AM
Karlson
Driver

Yeah you definately want to get pools of water out first and then use an absorbant, like a chamois or lots of paper towels to soak up any remainding water. The rest should be air dryed with your windows rolled down. You could also go to a store and buy a canister of silica gel/ air moisture absorbers and put that in your car, they're mainly used for closets and rooms but this would work in your car as well.
Old 07-20-10, 08:36 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Here is a similar thread I replied to in the past I recalled

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...86-wet-gs.html
Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Wife left windows down in a storm once in my LS430 so I have some experience in this area...

Get towels out on the seats to absorb as much as you can.

Use a wet/dry vaccum to pull as much water out of the carpet and seats as you can (be careful that the vacuum isn't super-powerful one when using on leather so that it pulls it in - can't recall if the GS has perforated seats which will help it work well).

Not sure if this is an option for you to pull the car in a garage (or even outside) with the doors open and let air circulate through it. At one point I had two large Patton house fans blowing through front and back and two small oscillating fans inside. I did this for a full day.

We also got some small buckets of moisture absorbing material (usually used in damp basements) and left them in the floorboards - not on the leather! - overnight for about a week to help pull additional moisture out of the car. I'll try to find a link to them - didn't know they existed before this incident. Edit - here is the stuff... we used two little buckets I'd guess 40 oz size found at Ace Hardware or Home Depot
http://www.damprid.com/

After the leather was as dry to the touch as I could get it with towels & wet/dry vacuum I used Meguiar's leather conditioner on it pretty heavily, then repeated about a week later.

Car came out fine without any issues.
I've recently seen that damprid stuff in bulk at Costco at a pretty cheap price.
Old 07-20-10, 08:40 AM
Robs IS250
Lexus Fanatic

They have the Damprid at Walmart/Target, it works miracles! Good luck buddy, everyone has posted good info so far so go with that!
Old 07-20-10, 11:42 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i got the jdm version of damprid for $2. Daiso for those who know it. works pretty well.
Old 07-20-10, 11:52 AM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about the car...

I would also be worried about the electrical components from shorting out or corrosion build up.

Anyway, like what others said... use a shop vac to suck up any water on the carpets. Once you get the water out... you may want to use a hair dryer on the carpets and trimmings to help dry off some water that might have gotten on electrical components.
Old 07-20-10, 11:58 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

use a dehumidifier....
Old 07-20-10, 11:59 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default sorry OT

Originally Posted by Jetfire
i got the jdm version of damprid for $2. Daiso for those who know it. works pretty well.
sorry off topic...

the Daiso by Abrdeen Center? That's a huge one!
Old 07-20-10, 01:30 PM
tenaciousF
Rookie

https://www.shamwow.com/default.aspx?did=&refcode=1002
problem solved.
Old 07-20-10, 02:28 PM
BradInPhx
Rookie

Go rent a carpet cleaner and use that to suck out the water from the floor if there is a lot. Or borrow someones. Hell go to walmart, buy one and then return it tomorrow.

Quick Reply: How to DRY your car?????????????