IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Car wont start / no ignition

Old 07-21-10, 05:43 PM
CleverName
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm new to Lexus so I could be way off base here, but most ECUs haven't been "Plug and Play" since very early 2000's.
Manufactures have been building security features into the major modules that will disable a vehicle of a major componant is swapped. Example: Mitsubishi imbeds the code in the ECU, TCM, and Factory alarm system. If any one unit is replaced, the security codes do not match and the ignition is disabled. Many ECU rebuilders can burn your security code into the ECU before they ship it to you, but you have to have the ability to get to the code first. Sending them your ECU would let them retrieve it for you.
Both my Mitsu, and my Audi had similar security features, which almost always assured you took the car to the dealership so they could retrieve and recode the new ECU.
I suspect Lexus will be no different....

2 cents
Vince
Old 07-21-10, 08:14 PM
uz07lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont know but this might help a little

Keyless Starting - Intermittent No Crank/No Start

L-SB-0161-08

Rev1

November 11, 2008

Smart Key Intermittent No Crank/No Start

Service Category
Vehicle Interior

Section
Theft Deterrent/Keyless Entry

Market
USA

Applicability

^ June 4, 2008 Rev1:

^ Applicability has been updated to include 2006-2008 IS 250 model years.

Any previous printed versions of this service bulletin should be discarded.

Introduction

Some customers may experience a no crank condition or a start and immediate stall condition when starting the engine using the "Push Start" switch. A new "Push Start" switch is now available to address this concern.

Required Tools & Equipment

Additional SSTs may be ordered by calling 1-800-933-8335.

Warranty Information

^ This repair is covered under the Lexus Comprehensive Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 48 months or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's in-service date.

^ Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer's specific complaint.

Parts Information

Production Change Information

This TSIB applies to vehicles produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINs shown.

Overview

Repair Procedure

NOTE

In the repair manuals the push start switch is referenced to as the "Power Switch" when installed in Hybrid vehicles and the "Engine Switch" when installed in all other vehicles.

This TSIB details the replacement of the push start switch on vehicles equipped with Smart Key with one of two specific concerns both of which are intermittent issues that can occur only while starting the engine.

^ No crank and no start concern.

^ Engine cranks starts and then immediately stalls.

NOTE Before considering replacement of the push start switch please verify the following conditions are normal:

1. Vehicle battery is fully charged.

2. Key battery voltages are within specification.

3. No other repairs have been performed or parts replaced on the smart key system causing the system to become completely inoperative.

4. The M.I.L. (Check Engine Light) is off with the engine running. If the M.I.L. is ON, repair and clear any related codes before performing this TSIB.

Detailed removal and installation instructions of the engine / power switch including systems requiring initialization are found in the Technical Information System (TIS) applicable Repair Manual:
Old 07-22-10, 02:13 AM
sveinongen
Driver

Originally Posted by shadowman
From my dealer:

You can't use a standard diagnostic tool on a Lexus. To get the proper codes, you basically have to take it to Lexus. A Lexus Diagnostic System cost $150,000. I doubt any normal person can fork out that much.

... or my dealer is BSing me.

Was your diagnostic tool working before the ECU issue?

IT, IS NOT A STANDAR DIAGNOSTIC TOOL, IT IS MADE FOR ALL LEXUS TYPES AFTER 2000, IT COST'S 2500-3000$ PLEASE STAY ON TOPIC NOW.

Yes it was working before, and please read my post's before u write, As i said, U can get contact with any of the ECU's if they dont have power (Not even the perfect Lexus Diagnostic System you are talking about)
and to turn power On too all of the ECU's you need to get Ignintion ON, That is my problem, I dont get Ignition on. Which means NO power to Any of the ECU's

The only ECU that have power is The Entry& Start ECU

Do u now get it?
The following users liked this post:
Profyle (10-22-20)
Old 07-22-10, 02:20 AM
sveinongen
Driver

Originally Posted by CleverName
I'm new to Lexus so I could be way off base here, but most ECUs haven't been "Plug and Play" since very early 2000's.
Manufactures have been building security features into the major modules that will disable a vehicle of a major componant is swapped. Example: Mitsubishi imbeds the code in the ECU, TCM, and Factory alarm system. If any one unit is replaced, the security codes do not match and the ignition is disabled. Many ECU rebuilders can burn your security code into the ECU before they ship it to you, but you have to have the ability to get to the code first. Sending them your ECU would let them retrieve it for you.
Both my Mitsu, and my Audi had similar security features, which almost always assured you took the car to the dealership so they could retrieve and recode the new ECU.
I suspect Lexus will be no different....

2 cents
Vince
Hi, talked to the dealer and he told me it was a plug and play ECU, (Cowl side J/B) I think that U need to program some of the ECU's if u buy the new, But i think it is different for each ECU and what it does. For exaple the Engine ECU need's to be reprogrammed
Old 09-07-18, 01:31 PM
Paddymc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did you ever get this started I am having similar issues?

Did you ever get this started I am Having simular issues?

QUOTE=sveinongen;5659763]IT, IS NOT A STANDAR DIAGNOSTIC TOOL, IT IS MADE FOR ALL LEXUS TYPES AFTER 2000, IT COST'S 2500-3000$ PLEASE STAY ON TOPIC NOW.

Yes it was working before, and please read my post's before u write, As i said, U can get contact with any of the ECU's if they dont have power (Not even the perfect Lexus Diagnostic System you are talking about)
and to turn power On too all of the ECU's you need to get Ignintion ON, That is my problem, I dont get Ignition on. Which means NO power to Any of the ECU's

The only ECU that have power is The Entry& Start ECU

Do u now get it?[/QUOTE]
Old 04-25-20, 11:40 AM
Irvinepmh
Driver School Candidate

Hi did you get it sorted out and whats the root cause?
Old 05-05-20, 07:47 AM
Irvinepmh
Driver School Candidate

My 2011 rx no ignition. Was told power management control module no current output..