Browse all: Cleaning and Detailing Guides
Print Wikipost

Dashboard Melting!!

Old 07-13-10, 06:59 PM
ADVIS250
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dashboard Melting!!

My dash seems to be melting in the sun after i took it to a car wash. The car wash owner said he has always cleaned my dash with water.I always noticed that my dash would be a bit sticky after leaving it in the sun but not to the point were it melts. What advice can i get in order to fixed this problem.
Old 07-13-10, 07:24 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

dont goto that car wash ever again?
Old 07-13-10, 08:33 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pics would help. i doubt its only water if there's any damage.
Old 07-14-10, 06:48 AM
cadfael_te
Rookie

So is it actually the dash that is 'melting' or could it be the 'armorall' stuff they didn't spray on it. Whichever it is I would clean it good with a diluted all purpose automotive cleaner (3 parts water, 1 part cleaner) - Meg's, Optimum, etc. Sounds darn strange for me, dashes usually don't just melt with water lol.
Old 07-14-10, 06:57 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I wonder if a strong enough wheel cleaner could have caused this?
Old 07-14-10, 07:01 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually you staying in the sun for a while the dash gets really soft. If you were to poke at it you'll take a chunk out. I marked mines already after a day in the sun.
Old 07-14-10, 07:15 AM
516IS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It can't be just water, please post some pics so we can see the melting places.
Old 07-14-10, 08:01 AM
cadfael_te
Rookie

Haven't really noticed my dask being that soft but haven't tried touching it hot. One thing to strongly consider is using a dash cleaner/uv protector. I personally use Prima Nero or Optimum Protectant. Use it to dust the dash 1-2 times a weak and it helps protect the dash. There are many brands and most do a good job - just determine if you want a gloss or matte finish.
Old 09-01-11, 10:37 PM
Plumeria
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2007 ES350 and I am the original owner here in Hawaii. I have only used a water damp cloth to wipe dust off the dashboard. At 70,000+ miles there was no doubt about it: the dashboard was melting. Lexus said they would provide the new dashboard if I would pay labor (I'm out of warranty). Today I received my new dashboard. Lexus advised my mechanic I can expect the dashboard to melt again in another 70,000 miles. I asked how to prevent that from happening. I was told to use only water. Not much help as that is what I have always done. To prevent a recurrence all I can think of is to put a windshield sun shade up while parked. Any other ideas from hot parts of the country?
Old 09-01-11, 10:40 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

When i talk to some guy do detailing car. He told me that never clean dashboard with water cause it could damage your dashboard in the long run (it also confirm by employee of local auto part)
Please forgive me if i was gone about not to use water to clean dashboard. In other hand, I use interior cleaner to clean all the car in my family and haven't have any problem so far.

Last edited by whitebeast; 09-01-11 at 10:44 PM.
Old 09-01-11, 10:45 PM
Black04IS
Rookie

Hey plumeria , that is really dissapointing that you have experienced this on a 07, I came from a 04' IS 300 that had the melting dash problem and i refinished myself with SEM paint and in turned out good but if i had that problem on my 06 IS250 i would be livid, on the newer cars it can't be fixed by a simple paint job
Old 09-01-11, 10:58 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Plumeria
I have a 2007 ES350 and I am the original owner here in Hawaii. I have only used a water damp cloth to wipe dust off the dashboard. At 70,000+ miles there was no doubt about it: the dashboard was melting. Lexus said they would provide the new dashboard if I would pay labor (I'm out of warranty). Today I received my new dashboard. Lexus advised my mechanic I can expect the dashboard to melt again in another 70,000 miles. I asked how to prevent that from happening. I was told to use only water. Not much help as that is what I have always done. To prevent a recurrence all I can think of is to put a windshield sun shade up while parked. Any other ideas from hot parts of the country?
What island are you on? we have our own section here at CL:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/cl-of-hawaii-209/

For the dash i use a product by Chemical Guys called VRP Dressing, i buy it from a CL member (cl vendor) TrendyTodd, he sells it out of Revision Audio who is another CL member REV-01. Not only is it a good dressing its also a UV protectant, perfect for our Hawaiian sun. Feel free to pm me for more info. Many of us CL members here use it.
Old 09-02-11, 07:40 AM
2slixx
Lexus Test Driver

I've heard other people having same problems with the dash melting on this forum... Some have said its from the heat, others point their finger at the base cleaner they are using. I live in Fresno CA where 110 109 degree heat is normal in the summer time and I have used Armorall and Meg's dash cleaners and have had no problem. Logic would point to just a bad batch of dashboards?
Old 09-06-11, 02:31 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Hey Guys! I bought my first Is 250 in June 06, 2011, It's an 07 with 1 previous owner. I started noticing the same problem with my dash a month or so after driving the car. The vehicle is out of warranty but decided after reading this forum and becoming a little acknowledged with the problem, that I would call Lexus and file a complaint. After speaking to a few reps and giving them my speech about "Quality" and this really being unacceptable. They finally told me to take it my nearest dealer for inspection. I was very relieved that my service consultant was familiar with the problem. I described to him that the dashboard felt sticky, new scratches and smudges were appearing every other day...He simply told me "Your dashboard is melting!". He typed his assessment and filed it to Lexus. A few days later I get a call from the same consultant, notifying me that Lexus has agreed to replace the dashboard and in all fairness I will have to cough up the labor. I recently discovered that each dealership varies in price of their parts and labor. I've decided to just bite the bullet and pay for the labor. I know a lot of you are in the same situation, perhaps this can be a little of help to you. Just be persistent and don't take "No" for an answer. If all else fails offer to pay for the labor. I was very frank with them in letting them know as an owner of one of these vehicles this should be the last thing to worry about.
Old 09-06-11, 03:24 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had no issues with my dashboard melting. My cars out in the sun all day, can't even touch the dash when its time for me to leave work. Never had any issues with melting, it does become kinda soft where if it feels like you really pressed down it would leave a mark, but i don't really wanna try that I always use Meguairs interior cleaners and have never had any issues though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dashboard Melting!!