Browse all: Cleaning and Detailing Guides
Print Wikipost

Dashboard Melting!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-13, 10:31 PM
nlayla
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took my car in to a local car sound system center (A+ Sound Systems) to get my dash cam installed in my car. When I picked it up, it was late at night so I didn't care to look around the dashboard or console for any damages. A week after having my car as finally sat on the passenger side, I noticed marks which I didn't notice before because I was always on the driver's side. I notified the place that their technician slightly damaged the console area and they're telling me to bring it in and they can take a look at it. In case they deny it, does anyone know how to fix this? I have a 2008 RX400h. HELP! http://i39.tinypic.com/2150s43.jpg
http://tinypic.com/r/2150s43/5
Old 09-17-13, 10:38 PM
Zatrekaz
Rookie

I am taking my 06 in Thursday to check on the Carbon build up... gonna ask about this also. Where can I find a copy of the tsib to show them?
Old 09-17-13, 10:50 PM
nlayla
Driver School Candidate

2008 RX400h - Does anyone know how to fix this? http://i39.tinypic.com/2150s43.jpg
Old 09-17-13, 10:53 PM
nlayla
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tdrag97
Same here in, TX extreme heat and dash and all four doors are melting and becoming very sticky. Anyone have the link to the TSB. "TSIB bulletin came out 12.02.2011" on this issues... Dealership said they never heard of the problem but will take some picture. I will wait for corp to answer. The dealership quoted us around $6-7k in parts. No labor quotes yet...
wow. I didn't know it gets so hot in Texas and it could melt the dash. I was planning on moving to Texas too. Well, not sure if this helps but I bought the Sunshade customize to fit for the RX400h for $15 bucks. You can find some good quality ones on Ebay.
Old 09-18-13, 01:37 PM
tdrag97
Pit Crew

Found the TSB guys/gals.. Also call Lexus corp today to file the case. CS noted that they will contact within 2-3 days after they review the dealership notes, TSB, and my info that I have given to them

L-SB-0144-11 Interior Panels Sticky/Poor Appearance
Old 09-18-13, 02:09 PM
kingdave
Driver School Candidate

Found the TSB guys/gals.. Also call Lexus corp today to file the case. CS noted that they will contact within 2-3 days after they review the dealership notes, TSB, and my info that I have given to them

L-SB-0144-11 Interior Panels Sticky/Poor Appearance
Seeing as I just paid full price to have the dash in my 07 replaced and the dealer made no mention of a TSB, I'd be very interested to see what they tell you.
Old 09-18-13, 02:41 PM
Zatrekaz
Rookie

So does the car have to be under warranty for this to be covered?
Old 09-18-13, 02:59 PM
chwang1973
Rookie

Out the warranty, talked to corp. and they're willing to cover the parts, but the dealer wanted $1200+ (just dashboard) for labor. I didn't think is worh spending the money on 06, specially its defected products to began with it.
Old 09-18-13, 03:13 PM
tdrag97
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by kingdave
Seeing as I just paid full price to have the dash in my 07 replaced and the dealer made no mention of a TSB, I'd be very interested to see what they tell you.
Hey King - what dealership did you go too and how much for just labor? Seem like dealership never have any knowledge of TSB and most Recalls only, but even those are hit and miss. Sometime they have to look it up.

As far as being OOW., read that Corp if in our favor, they would cover for the parts, but we have to pay for labors. And that various on how nice the dealership are.. hear range from $250 - $1000.
Old 09-19-13, 04:32 PM
Zatrekaz
Rookie

Took my car in today to check on the carbon tsb, and also had them look at this. They told me that they would submit everything to Lexus, but not to hold my breath.

HOWEVER, they said if it does not get approved then they can give me some tips/pointers on what to say to corporate when I call them myself. They said it would be pointless to do it while it is in their possession for the next few weeks getting engine work done, because Lexus could then claim I was "couched" on what to say, and deny it.
Old 09-22-13, 01:11 PM
tdrag97
Pit Crew

Update guys. Corp office call us back and try will be replacing only the front dash and two front door panel. They will cover both parts and labor.

As for the rear two door panel, we would be paying for parts and labor. Not as lucky as other who we able to get corp to pay for parts and they pay for labor. Door panel are $1,100 ea. crazy.

But we will fix the front doors and dash and order the rear later

Good luck all.
Old 09-23-13, 02:54 AM
kingdave
Driver School Candidate

Hey King - what dealership did you go too and how much for just labor? Seem like dealership never have any knowledge of TSB and most Recalls only, but even those are hit and miss. Sometime they have to look it up.

As far as being OOW., read that Corp if in our favor, they would cover for the parts, but we have to pay for labors. And that various on how nice the dealership are.. hear range from $250 - $1000.
Sterling McCall on 59 near the Beltway. I'm not sure what labor was. I paid just under 1800 for a replacement key, nav update, and the dash.
Old 10-16-13, 07:00 AM
Shnarpy
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus on 59 south near beltway

Originally Posted by kingdave
Sterling McCall on 59 near the Beltway. I'm not sure what labor was. I paid just under 1800 for a replacement key, nav update, and the dash.
I just initiated conversation about this problem with my adviser at this dealership. Once I hear back from them I'll post it here.
Old 12-17-13, 11:58 AM
Birdman07
Driver School Candidate

Default Yes, I have a sticky dashboard too :(

I just listed the post below in a different area of this forum. This thread, however, seems to be most relevant for the sticky dash problem I am having. From looking at other entries of this thread it looks like corporate sometimes covers the labor and or dash cost, even if it is out of warrantee. I'd love to hear from someone who recently had this success. Who did you talk to and what number should I call? Saving $1000+ would be nice, especially if it seems to be a defective product. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Birdman07
I'm a newbie. I hope I'm posting in the right location. Original owner of a 2007 IS250.

My passenger floor carpet was dripping wet. Dealer said there is a TSB regarding an Evaporator Drain Grommet. They say it is out of warrantee, so it will cost me $1381 out the door to fix the drainage problem and the carpet. Dealer said it is not a widespread issue. Only 2 known occurrences. My internet search suggests that might not be true.

Also my dashboard has within the past 6 months gotten very sticky sections. The material seems to be breaking down. Dealer said he's never heard of it before. My brief search online suggests that that is not the first time for an IS. He said they can rip out the dash and put a new one in for $2850 for parts and labor.

Any insights? Does this all sound fair? It is tough to get a bill for many thousands of dollars for a vehicle that only has 34,000 miles of wear and tear on it.

Thanks,

B
Old 07-17-14, 11:25 AM
AileenC
Driver School Candidate

Default dashboard Melting

I strongly suggest that we begin joining groups on every city and meet up on a Saturday with Signs on Corners of Every Lexus dealership protesting and showing potential buyers what our dashboards look like now. My email is acrsworldwide@gmail.com and I live in Kendall, FL. The dealership ultimately refused to fix the car. I've had this car since 8/2007, On 2011 the CD player stopped working and the dashboard began to melt. This car cost me $40k. Mayor ripoff!

Quick Reply: Dashboard Melting!!