End of Lease Nears :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-10, 11:59 AM
MLevinson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default End of Lease Nears :(

To all,

As my lease mature date closes in [< 60 days], I just wanted to reach out and say what a fantastic vehicle this has been, and it's going to be a sad day when I have to turn this vehicle in. It's been a tremendous ownership experience, and the best Lexus to date that I've owned. The service I’ve received has been typical Lexus fashion – top notch as well. But other than oil changes and a recall, it never had to go in. I'm actually going to try to sell this vehicle outright, as it seems to be a shame turning this car back to Lexus after so much meticulous care.

I was going to order a new GS460, but I have cold feet since a new one is going to be out in perhaps a year's time, but for now I'm going to finish out my X5 lease, and then make a decision thereafter - as I have a yr left on that.

One thing is for sure, IMO Lexus vehicle are outstanding and I'll be in another Lexus [GS and/or IS] again; and I’ll be staying on this fantastic forum as well.

Here are some quick pics:

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/8452/img0472ml.jpg

http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/7482/img0470b.jpg

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/8899/img0468qd.jpg

Add:

http://swapalease.com/forsale/detail...x?salid=627818

Last edited by MLevinson; 07-20-10 at 08:15 AM.
Old 07-12-10, 03:29 PM
kayotik
Lead Lap

sad to see you go...
Old 07-12-10, 03:32 PM
kslater
Driver

Man that car looks clean.Nice and stock, just the way I like em. You make a great point. I would wait for the new models too.
Old 07-12-10, 05:03 PM
516IS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How' bout getting a short lease, 24 months on the GS? may be pricier than the regular 36 months.
Old 07-12-10, 05:25 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

sad to see that clean ride go. hopefully you find a great new GS since you've already driven an IS. best of luck!
Old 07-12-10, 07:24 PM
Dunkin1222
Pole Position

Why not buy out of it??
Old 07-19-10, 07:46 AM
MLevinson
Pole Position

I thought about buying it outright, but most leases are not designed for end purchase. I did think about ordering a new one as well, but I do not like some of the new changes - not bad but it just seems like some of them are changes just-for-the-sake-of making some changes; but the new LED DRL's look sweet, and the F-Sport package if it make it here looks appealing as well.

Yes I will miss this car dearly

...a 24 Month lease is just too much $$$/month that I'd like to spend.

Here is the add if anyone is interested, or know anyone:

http://www.swapalease.com/forsale/details/?salID=627818
Old 07-19-10, 02:09 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

get the IS-F!
Old 07-19-10, 02:49 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick question (keep in mind I've never leased, so I really don't know much about it).

The advert says 15k miles. If you only put that many miles on it over 36 months, doesn't that mean the dealer made out like a bandit? Because the monthly payments assume a certain number of miles (not sure if its 12k or 10k etc).

This is why I don't think leases are for me -- they work out okay if you put exactly the paid number of miles on it without going over, but I wonder how many people do that. I always put high miles on a car the first couple of years, then it tapers off over the long run, but I like having no car payments after 4-5 years and the car is still worth a few grand by that time.
Old 07-20-10, 04:51 AM
MLevinson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MBTC
Quick question (keep in mind I've never leased, so I really don't know much about it).

The advert says 15k miles. If you only put that many miles on it over 36 months, doesn't that mean the dealer made out like a bandit? Because the monthly payments assume a certain number of miles (not sure if its 12k or 10k etc).

This is why I don't think leases are for me -- they work out okay if you put exactly the paid number of miles on it without going over, but I wonder how many people do that. I always put high miles on a car the first couple of years, then it tapers off over the long run, but I like having no car payments after 4-5 years and the car is still worth a few grand by that time.
Your statement is correct.

Just after I purchased this lease, I was allowed to move my office home; so before this I did drive about 14K/yr. Unfortunately it was too late and I could not renegotiate my lease, hence the low mileage and the reason why I'm trying to off-load it before turn-in.

I like leasing as I'm not one to keep cars for very long; but again this one I'm going to really miss.
Old 07-20-10, 05:35 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The point of a lease is typically convenience, not saving money getting a "deal". You are paying to rent a car, and at the end of the rental (lease) period, you turn it in. That's it. No hassling to sell, etc. If you are worried about paying a little more for unused miles, a lease probably isn't for you because going over or under is inevitable.

Heck, I had a 2005 Jaguar S-Type 4.2 leased for 3 years that I only put 10k miles on the ENTIRE lease I'm sure the dealer was thrilled, but I could not have cared less.

Convenience
Old 07-20-10, 07:50 AM
wednesday
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I leased after having my first IS hit when it was 4 months old and losing all the equity I had in the car from a large down payment. In a lease I don't lose anything if it is wrecked, I just get it repaired and turn it in at the end of the lease. This may be a dumb reason but it is working for me.

Thanks Mlevinson for posting the info about selling at the end of a lease, this sounds like a good idea for me because I am well under my mileage too.
Old 07-20-10, 09:56 AM
MBTC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wednesday
I leased after having my first IS hit when it was 4 months old and losing all the equity I had in the car from a large down payment.
But don't leases require a large payment up front ($3k or so)? That's probably about the same as first year, drive-off-the-lot equity loss.

I just priced a 2009 IS 250 with the same options I just bought (some stuff was optional that was standard on mine), figured 15k miles typical, and KBB private party value was only about $2k less than what I just paid for the new one.
Old 07-20-10, 11:24 AM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MBTC
But don't leases require a large payment up front ($3k or so)? That's probably about the same as first year, drive-off-the-lot equity loss.

I just priced a 2009 IS 250 with the same options I just bought (some stuff was optional that was standard on mine), figured 15k miles typical, and KBB private party value was only about $2k less than what I just paid for the new one.
I wouldn't say "most" require a lump-sum payment up front. As it all depends on the car, the leasing company, your credit qualification, and the negotiated lease term.

I'd say the average required down payment would only be $1,000 or so; from what I have seen for a car around $35-40,000. Although I would be willing to bet most people put more.
Old 07-20-10, 11:30 AM
SlickRSM
Pole Position

Lancaster NY?? Im in Orchard Park

Quick Reply: End of Lease Nears :(