Hardest thing I've ever done...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-10, 03:57 PM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Hardest thing I've ever done...

This is my first thread.

I went to the Lexus dealership to pick up my new (to me) 08 IS350 that I paid for yesterday and guess what? To my extreme disapointment I had to leave it there! They will not let me take it until the valve springs that were recalled are fixed. Time frame for this, the end of July.

I feel like a new parent who had to leave their newborn in the hospital cause it was to sick to take home

Anyways, here's a pic. I guess I'll start amassing parts to slap on it the day I get it.

Last edited by rcJten; 07-09-10 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-09-10, 03:59 PM
lexy250
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At least you're getting the valve springs done before you even start driving. It'll be good for you, so you don't have to bother with it. Welcome to CL, it'll be worth the wait
Old 07-09-10, 04:02 PM
blk250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

congrats on the new purchase!...
Old 07-09-10, 04:07 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Congrats on the 350 and welcome to CL.

At least, you won't have to bring it in again later when you receive the recall notice. I rather have it taken care of while the car is still there. But waiting until end of July is a bit long... will they give you a rental since you already paid for it?
Old 07-09-10, 04:18 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rcJten
I feel like a new parent who had to leave their newborn in the hospital cause it was to sick to take home
Think of it like the newborn had a particular illness, which by leaving him in the hospital for a couple of weeks you can be unconditionally guaranteed he will never get this particular illness again That's probably a better metaphor and not much in life gives you such guarantees.

No worries, when I bought my car the color and options I wanted wasn't on the lot, but was headed to inventory from Takara plant in a few weeks, so I just waited patiently, read up on CL etc. Delivery day is worth it
Honestly I think the dealers doing the right thing, because if they gave it to you today and said "promise you'll bring it back before the end of July" there's a chance you'd put it off until the fall or until you noticed a problem, and if by some chance you were in the .02% that had an issue and damaged the engine it would cost them big time.

Only thing I don't understand is how they took payment yesterday and didn't tell you about the upcoming repair until you showed up to pick it up... someone was sleeping on that one, this recall has been known for a while and they knew the VIN# before they sold you the car.

Last edited by MBTC; 07-09-10 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-09-10, 04:19 PM
svntwosix
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats and welcome. Hopefully you get a rental car to tear up for the time being
Old 07-09-10, 04:30 PM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MBTC
T
Only thing I don't understand is how they took payment yesterday and didn't tell you about the upcoming repair until you showed up to pick it up... someone was sleeping on that one, this recall has been known for a while and they knew the VIN# before they sold you the car.
Yea, the salesman claims that he had no idea until this morning when his boss told him. Probably just wanted to get the sale. I got lots and lots of "sorry"s today. I guess it is all for the better, but man I've been dreaming of getting an IS since the first gen came out. It's been a long time coming, I guess it will be just a bit more.
Old 07-09-10, 04:33 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Don't worry. When you finally get to drive, it will have a warm and fuzzy feeling.

I felt that way when my car got out of the shop. Man... it feels really good to be drive my 250 again. But I will be disappointed again because I still have to bring it in 3 weeks later to apply the clear mud guard.
Old 07-09-10, 04:34 PM
Frosty250
Lexus Test Driver

Don't worry about it. Just find something to do and not think about it. The time will fly by fast when you don't think about it.
Old 07-09-10, 04:40 PM
KWang
Pole Position

the wait till only make the day u finally receive it even sweeter =)
Old 07-09-10, 04:43 PM
SPNinjA
Lead Lap

So spend your time on CL and find out as much as you can about your car until the end of July...
Old 07-09-10, 04:46 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

It will be worth the wait. Congrats.

btw - did you get a loaner car?
Old 07-09-10, 04:55 PM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS-SV

No, I didn't even think of asking. I was so caught up in the moment of frustration. I have an ls400 as well so it's not huge deal to me.
Old 07-09-10, 05:01 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV

If he didn't I'd say the dealer owes him a refund...and I'd make sure the loaner was at least an IS350 too... they're basically holding a paid-for car hostage over a voluntary recall.

Heck, if he financed it he's now paying interest on a car he can't have.

EDIT- I was typing above as the OP was replying.... anyway, I'm firmly in the camp of if they took your money it's your car. If they're keeping it you get your $ back.... if they want to keep the car and the money they need to be offering you some sort of compensation for that.
Old 07-09-10, 05:08 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Interesting point about the loaner car, I would hit them up for that. Save your LS400's mileage. Welcome btw! Like others are saying, you can spend the next few weeks researching mods so you're well-informed and ready to go when your baby arrives.

Quick Reply: Hardest thing I've ever done...