IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Last day of factory warranty

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-10, 06:02 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Last day of factory warranty

Hey everyone, today is my last day of the factory warranty. I dropped the car off this morning with a huge list of little things to try and get replaced or noted before the warranty expires. I know this is really picky, and some things may not be done, but the advisor is cool and will cover whatever he can.

Here is what I have either already done or am getting looked at today:
- TSB for start/ignition buttom
- TSB for updated NAV disc
- TSB for brake dust (also stated vibration when braking)
- TSB for rear view mirror loose
- had a rear window run binding
- have elbow dents on top of center console box
- side mirrors don't tilt all the way down when in reverse
- seems like something at one time was dripping inside front headlights
- I don't hear the start-up clank, but asked them to check anyways

I am just curious what everyone else has tried to get replaced right before the warranty expired, maybe I am missing something!
Old 07-06-10, 01:36 PM
spicaly
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

theres a tsb for the nav disc?
Old 07-06-10, 02:15 PM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spicaly
theres a tsb for the nav disc?
100%...I hope everyone knows about this...all you have to do to get the most updated NAV disc is state to the service advisor that the NAV shows you in the wrong location sometimes...the TSB replaced the old disc with a new one, and I went from a 2005 disc to the current 2009 disc
Old 07-06-10, 02:24 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

NOTE- The TSIB is for 06 models only... won't help you if you go in with an 08 with this complaint hoping for a new disc :P

(it also removes the ability to software-override the in motion lockout)
Old 07-06-10, 02:28 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol good luck with all that. I cant see how they will cover all that being its expiring tomorrow. But let us know
Old 07-06-10, 02:57 PM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by flektone
lol good luck with all that. I cant see how they will cover all that being its expiring tomorrow. But let us know
It is really picky, and I almost feel bad going in with a "list", but the advisor told me too and he would either replace what he could or note it in the system for possible coverage later...

I will let you all know what they do...
Old 07-06-10, 03:06 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by quick123
100%...I hope everyone knows about this...all you have to do to get the most updated NAV disc is state to the service advisor that the NAV shows you in the wrong location sometimes...the TSB replaced the old disc with a new one, and I went from a 2005 disc to the current 2009 disc
You are lucky that they gave you the latest disc. Technically, the TSIB is to replace the original 5.1 disc with a special one that has 6.1 software and 5.1 maps. They probably don't have those anymore, which is why you got a new one.
Old 07-06-10, 03:31 PM
wcarty
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might want them to do the engine valve spring re-call also

http://www.lexus.com/recall/

Lexus announced that it has informed the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration of its intention to file a Defect Information Report (DIR) regarding approximately 138,000 Lexus vehicles, powered by 4.6 and 5.0 liter V8 and 3.5 liter V6 engines in certain 2006, 2007 and 2008 GS, IS and LS models in the U.S. The formal report will be filed the week of July 5.
In the covered vehicles, due to slight variations during the manufacturing process, some foreign material may have contaminated a small number of the valve springs. If a vehicle is affected, there is a remote possibility that abnormal engine noise or idling may occur. In extremely rare instances, the engine may stop while the vehicle is in operation.
Lexus estimates that the likelihood of a customer vehicle experiencing this condition is two-tenths of one percent (0.2 %). Lexus has received no reports of accidents or injuries related to this condition. No vehicles from the current 2010 model year nor 2009 are affected.
Lexus will send owners of the involved vehicles a recall notification via first class mail. Owners are requested to contact their local Lexus dealer for diagnosis and repair after receiving their notification. The repair will involve replacement of the engine's valve springs at no charge.
Owners can continue to drive their vehicles. If symptoms are noticed, such as vibration, rough idling, unusual engine sounds or poor performance, the vehicle should be brought to a Lexus dealer for service.
Certain Lexus vehicles produced among the following models and years are covered:
Old 07-06-10, 04:22 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The recall isn't ready (since it was just announced) but there'd be no rush to get it done today anyway, it's a recall not a warranty repair.

(beyond which valve springs would come under the powertrain warranty which is 2 year/20k miles longer than the bumper to bumper anyway)
Old 07-06-10, 05:35 PM
kentaro
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Can't the TSB/Recalls be done at the dealer with/without(past) factory warranty ?
Old 07-06-10, 05:41 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ That's right... Recall is mandatory by government. You don't need warranty to fix under recall.

TSB are optional and dealers require warranty.
Old 07-06-10, 09:09 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Anyone have a PDF copy of the TSIB for '06 nav discs? I thought I looked through them all but don't recall seeing that one. w00t!
Old 07-07-10, 04:57 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by brociouz
Anyone have a PDF copy of the TSIB for '06 nav discs? I thought I looked through them all but don't recall seeing that one. w00t!
Here you go...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
TSB NAV DISC.pdf (176.8 KB, 408 views)
Old 07-07-10, 07:14 AM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it might be late, but the leather on the drivers side door panel if its lifting up, get the panel replaced
Old 07-07-10, 07:51 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mv350
it might be late, but the leather on the drivers side door panel if its lifting up, get the panel replaced
It's not too late yet, they still have the car (had to order the passenger side mirror actuator)...but I don't see a TSB on that...and I checked the panels when this was posted, and I don't see an issue...is this common???

Quick Reply: Last day of factory warranty