IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

7/1/2010 Engine stalling valve spring replacement recall (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-10, 10:31 AM
MDOTM
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder when I will be getting my letter
Old 07-05-10, 10:58 AM
norapat01
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh well, the chance that the spring will break is only 0.2% and they are willing to fix it
Old 07-05-10, 12:33 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally would like to know more about the topic indicated in the title of this thread. Has the range of vehicles impacted been narrowed down yet?
Old 07-05-10, 01:10 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I personally would like to know more about the topic indicated in the title of this thread. Has the range of vehicles impacted been narrowed down yet?
Yes, See this
Old 07-05-10, 04:40 PM
sirCharles
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

haha, no worries here either. Lexus is covering the bases for the engine type based on the press release. Almost 4 1/2 years 55K miles and never such an idle issue. No braking issue either or any of the other recalls for direct issues with my particular car. This has been a great car and will surely go for many more years. IS 350 is Lexus hall of fame as far as I am concerned. IS 350 FTW!
Old 07-06-10, 01:42 AM
bobbo1978
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the latest news is Toyota is recalling is350 among other models sharing same part with built date prior to 8/08. Unfortunately my is350 falls under the recall and help explain the ticking noise heard during idle, which I thought was dfi and treatment from previous owner. ( I bought a loaner from dealer)

My sister bought a brand new 2010 250 on the same date with same color and her idle to my chagrin hers is quieter. Seems like my fate with troubled car continues after the BMW 135 was lemoned by BMW NA
Old 07-06-10, 01:45 AM
panda327
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bobbo1978
So the latest news is Toyota is recalling is350 among other models sharing same part with built date prior to 8/08. Unfortunately my is350 falls under the recall and explains the tick noise heard during idle which I contributed to dfi and previous owner. ( I bought a loaner from dealer)

My sister bought a brand new 2010 250 on the same date with same color and her idle to my chagrin is quieter. Seems like my fate with troubled car continues after the BMW 135 was lemoned by BMW Na
newer cars will always be more quiet then old cars
it has nothing to do with it being a lemon or this recall
and the ticking noise i think is the fuel injectors and that is normal
Old 07-06-10, 05:27 AM
vdubturbo
Driver

My only concern is that I'm going to have an oil leak or something after they're done tearing into the engine. And you KNOW they'll balk at fixing that when you come back to complain. Just my opinion, though.
Old 07-06-10, 05:35 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by vdubturbo
My only concern is that I'm going to have an oil leak or something after they're done tearing into the engine. And you KNOW they'll balk at fixing that when you come back to complain. Just my opinion, though.
I hear your concerns, and I have some similar concerns as well (I might not be covered though)...we don't know if they will just remove the valve covers or completely take the heads out...if you get a leak from either of these, it should be taken care of by the dealership

I keep checking TIS every morning for this SSC to post, but still nothing...
Old 07-06-10, 06:52 AM
VPIS350
Driver

Originally Posted by vdubturbo
yea they will. Last time i had some repair done, they had cracked the pretty engine cover. Sure it's just plastic, $400 worth though. They tried to sell me a new one but i put my foot down and they got a manager and ended up giving it to me free. Just check everything out when they give u bak ur car. u just never know. As for the car, i luvs it. This whole recall is nothing but a reason to drive a new loaner car.
Old 07-06-10, 07:07 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

^^ Sucks about them trying to get you to pay for the engine cover, glad the manager stepped up and did the right thing...

I am thinking the same about the recall, loaner fun time only thing is I dropped my car off this morning for warranty concerns, and they gave me old man river's car...ES350
Old 07-06-10, 07:18 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MBTC
That is not an official source of information, nor does it provide any more information than has been already explained in this thread. For official announcements regarding this and any other SSC you'll want to check www.lexus.com/recall or login to your owner profile at https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home where you can register your car's VIN and see any and all campaigns it's scheduled for.

Javier
Old 07-06-10, 08:17 AM
MBTC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by javyLSU
That is not an official source of information, nor does it provide any more information than has been already explained in this thread.
Agreed and understood. My goal was to answer the poster's question succinctly; I could have pointed out the answer to his question was already in the thread, but it would have taken more typing to convince him to scroll up and read earlier posts, and official or not the info is still valid.

Thanks for the link on the VIN registration, I will sign up.
Old 07-06-10, 09:23 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MBTC
Yes, I saw that with models impacted, but not the date ranges within. I did see in the thread the preliminary estimates of possible date ranges too.

Thanks, I'll wait for VIN number ranges from Toyota/Lexus.
Old 07-06-10, 10:26 AM
vdubturbo
Driver

Originally Posted by VPIS350
yea they will. Last time i had some repair done, they had cracked the pretty engine cover. Sure it's just plastic, $400 worth though. They tried to sell me a new one but i put my foot down and they got a manager and ended up giving it to me free. Just check everything out when they give u bak ur car. u just never know. As for the car, i luvs it. This whole recall is nothing but a reason to drive a new loaner car.
They broke my engine cover too when repairing a bad headlight (which are still both out of adjustment BTW), and I'm concerned they won't make good on the cover since I didn't notice it until a later date.

Needless to say, I'm not thoroughly impressed with the accountability or professionalism my closest dealer. That's why I'm nervous.

Quick Reply: 7/1/2010 Engine stalling valve spring replacement recall (merged threads)