IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

7/1/2010 Engine stalling valve spring replacement recall (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-10, 08:11 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Loved my IS350, but I've never seen anything like this. Brakes...fuel rails...seat belts...gas pedals...steering...and now this.

My past/current cars for reference:

'10 G37 - 1 TSB for seek button reprogram
'08 Durango - No recalls
'06 Escape - No recalls
'04 Durango - No recalls
'00 Maxima - No recalls
'98 Ranger - 1 recall at 6 years old for electrical

I can't remember recalls for cars I had before that, but I think this goes beyond Toyota being "targets" of the media. I hope this is the last recall. Loved my IS, and I miss it sometimes...but I don't miss the regular official correspondence about service campaigns and recalls.

Good luck to everyone having the repair done. The one thing I can say is that Lexus tends to repair these problems without breaking something else, which says a lot!!
Old 07-01-10, 08:48 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 15951
'08 Durango - No recalls
'06 Escape - No recalls
'04 Durango - No recalls
'00 Maxima - No recalls
No recalls doesn't necessarily mean no flaws, it just means the company is not owning up to flaws. My '02 Maxima had at least half a dozen recalls, a couple of them were safety-jeapordizing. Then there was stuff that was never recalled but was rediculously stupid -- stereo speakers blew out regularly, hood shook up and down when driving, looked like it would come loose, need $600 for full brake job every 40k or so because it chewed through rotors like they were gum, the wheel bearings and hub assemblies went tidtsup every couple of years and were about $500 per wheel to replace -- what's worse is you didn't know they were bad until they started making noise, and by that time it meant you had about a 50/50 chance of surviving driving it into the dealership instead of having it towed (unfortunate since you didn't know what the noise was until you got there). A good friend of mine has a Mazda Speed6 he bought new, and it stalls on him (most likely carbon build up, direct injection as well). But there haven't been any recalls or even any help from the dealer. He wants to dump the car before the warranty is out because the quality he has seen from Mazda thus far scares him. My girlfriend had a Jeep Grand Cherokee and the engine literally burst into flames at 18k miles, they had to give her an entirely new vehicle which also turned out to be garbage, she dumped it and got a '06 Camry and hasn't had an issue since.

All I am saying is that this problem is not exclusive to Toyota.
Cars these days, with all their electronics and subsystems with more subsystems are infinitely more complex than 20 years ago, so there's more stuff that can go wrong.
Old 07-01-10, 10:51 PM
SoDiezl350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stooky
I hate to quote myself but... i dont think anyone answered me

Is this one of these stalling cases?
There is nothing built into the car that would cause it to stall while moving in neutral. I would say that your car stalled in a situation where it shouldn't have. Whether this is a result of a faulty valve spring is unclear.
Old 07-02-10, 05:58 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Loved my IS350, but I've never seen anything like this. Brakes...fuel rails...seat belts...gas pedals...steering...and now this.

My past/current cars for reference:

'08 Durango - No recalls
'06 Escape - No recalls
'04 Durango - No recalls
'00 Maxima - No recalls

FYI-

2006 Escape was recalled for:
Possible driveshaft fracture
then recalled again for a wiper motor problem

2004 Durango recalled for:
Electric overloads in instrument panel causing fires
then recalled again for frozen throttle cable
then recalled again for battery cable short causing fires

1998 Ranger recalled for:
Fuel line leak
then recalled again for cruise control switch fires
then recalled again for different cruise control issue with cable

So I think the problem might be you don't update your address with the dealer enough or something, since at least half your vehicles have had multiple recalls... (often for FAR worse problems than any the 2IS has had... like catching on fire while parked and off (the ranger) or driveshaft failing while in use (escape)... or throttle cable becoming stuck wide open (durango in 04).
Old 07-02-10, 06:05 AM
MDOTM
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
FYI-

2006 Escape was recalled for:
Possible driveshaft fracture
then recalled again for a wiper motor problem

2004 Durango recalled for:
Electric overloads in instrument panel causing fires
then recalled again for frozen throttle cable
then recalled again for battery cable short causing fires

1998 Ranger recalled for:
Fuel line leak
then recalled again for cruise control switch fires
then recalled again for different cruise control issue with cable

So I think the problem might be you don't update your address with the dealer enough or something, since at least half your vehicles have had multiple recalls... (often for FAR worse problems than any the 2IS has had... like catching on fire while parked and off (the ranger) or driveshaft failing while in use (escape)... or throttle cable becoming stuck wide open (durango in 04).

The lesson learn is that we all should just walk to where we are going...
Old 07-02-10, 06:42 AM
benzo555
Lexus Test Driver

recalls doesn't really bother me at all. Gives me a chance to drive different loaners and test them out.
Old 07-02-10, 07:58 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MDOTM
The lesson learn is that we all should just walk to where we are going...
LOL....I remember when the recalls first came out, I had some idiot saying that he was going to trade his Toyota in and get another vehicle that did not have any recalls...I told him that Nike and Reebok make a great product
Old 07-02-10, 08:25 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by quick123
LOL....I remember when the recalls first came out, I had some idiot saying that he was going to trade his Toyota in and get another vehicle that did not have any recalls...I told him that Nike and Reebok make a great product
Even then!

Nike recalls- (there've been others, here's a couple)
http://www.soccercleats101.com/2009/...apor-superfly/

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml04/04200.html

Reebok-

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml04/04217.html
Old 07-02-10, 08:30 AM
MBTC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Thanks for that. I was going to suggest to the owner of those vehicles that if there were no recalls it was either because the dealership didn't have current address info, or he wasn't following the news, or the manufacturer just wasn't honest. It would scare the goo out of me if I owned a vehicle that had no recalls, because it could only mean that either there is a major political coverup or a perfect storm brewing.

I just didn't say all that because I was too tired (and lazy at the time) to do the research myself, which you did, so kudos.
Old 07-02-10, 08:38 AM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MBTC
Thanks for that. I was going to suggest to the owner of those vehicles that if there were no recalls it was either because the dealership didn't have current address info, or he wasn't following the news, or the manufacturer just wasn't honest. It would scare the goo out of me if I owned a vehicle that had no recalls, because it could only mean that either there is a major political coverup or a perfect storm brewing.

I just didn't say all that because I was too tired (and lazy at the time) to do the research myself, which you did, so kudos.
I was outside the VIN range or wasn't otherwise affected by some of the recalls, and the rest must have occurred after I got rid of the vehicle(s). Seeing that list, it's pretty surprising to me, but that's the case. Dealers had my address, etc. For example, the Ranger I had didn't have cruise control, so I was unaffected.

Anyway, I do understand the point, and from the looks of the recall info provided I should probably update my bucket list and get moving!!
Old 07-02-10, 08:47 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

LOL!!!!!!!

That has my face hurting that is so funny! Guess we are all screwed no matter what we do
Old 07-02-10, 09:09 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Loved my IS350, but I've never seen anything like this. Brakes...fuel rails...seat belts...gas pedals...steering...and now this...
I still love my IS350.

Brakes: Never had any problems, changed by pads a few times before going BBK.
Fuel Rails: Never had any leaks, had it done as a preventative measure.
Seat belts: Never had any problems, had it done as a preventative measure.
Steering: Never had any problems, had it done as a preventative measure.
Gas pedals: There is no problem if you know how to install a floor mat properly, never had this done.

Noticing a pattern here? In my eye, there's a difference between being proactive for consumers and fixing things that keep breaking on my car. I may have had an exceptional experience, but I can honestly say I've never had anything break on my car that I haven't damaged myself. I'm no Lexus fanboy - if something is wrong, they need to fix it - but I still remain a strong believer in Lexus quality.

Javier
Old 07-02-10, 09:23 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not worried about it, Lexus recalls for me have been handled smoothly and at no cost to me so far.
Old 07-02-10, 10:27 AM
Stun350
Rookie

No problem here with my 08 IS350. Talked to customer support yesterday evening and they told me I would be contacted as soon as the recall is issued.
Old 07-02-10, 12:24 PM
Raider#81
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by golfproatl
This may be good news for me. While I have never had my car stall or loose engine power while driving, I have had the idle drop VERY low several times at a stop. It drops so low that I'm sure it is going to stall but has not to date. It started about 1000 miles ago. I'm at 47000 now. It's one of those things that your sure the dealer won't be able to recreate so I have not taken it in yet. I figured I would mention it at my next oil change unless it got worse before then. Now I may have something solid to stand on. I would say it has happened about 10 times. Always at idle and in gear and a stop light.
Sounds like my car. I noticed around 47-48k my car would idle real low when I would pull up and stop at a light. Usually occurrs when coming off a freeway. Also I notice the idle lowers when turing into driveways. Feels like the car is going to stall and sometimes the traction controll lights come on?

Quick Reply: 7/1/2010 Engine stalling valve spring replacement recall (merged threads)