IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Bad Smell coming from air conditioning

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-10, 11:06 PM
rza8gamma
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Update on the horrible smell

Going to work i turned the heater all the way up for about 20 minutes. When i came back from work the smell was gone. I bought the cabin air filter at a local kragen store, but wasn't able to put it in due to the Laker's final's game. I hope the smell stays out.
Old 06-18-10, 10:58 AM
shiny250
Advanced

if you guys live in hot areas and dont like to put the heater on to get the smell away, just press the button to circulate fresh air instead of recirculating the same air during the last few minutes of the car ride. the next time you turn on the car, the smell wont be there. just remember to turn off the recirculating air and let fresh air without the a/c flow through the filters and everything.
Old 06-18-10, 12:39 PM
2IS_Girl
Rookie

1Z Einszett Klima-Cleaner. Should run about $15 and the smell will be gone
Old 06-18-10, 01:29 PM
fr0st
Pole Position

Originally Posted by shadowman
Does it smell like urine? That's probably the mold in your A/C evaporator unit that was caused by condensation / moisture build up.

The best way to avoid this is to shut-off your A/C unit 5 minutes before you park the car. I usually turn off A/C and let the fan run on outside air about 5 minutes of reaching my destination.

You can try to run the car on outside air for a while to clear up the smell and put it into windshield defog.

If your car is under warranty, try asking the dealer nicely to help clean your A/C. Some may do it and some won't...
honestly, i shouldnt have to do this in a 30k+ car when my civic/camry doesn't have the same problem. so retarded.
Old 06-18-10, 01:48 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do this and my Civic still smells like someone pee'd in my car, but the smell is not that strong. There's a small hint of that odor though.

However, in my brothers Corolla, it smell so bad that we have to open the window when he turns on his A/C. He never shuts his A/C off to allow the water to drain before parking.
Old 06-18-10, 02:02 PM
fr0st
Pole Position

Originally Posted by shadowman
I do this and my Civic still smells like someone pee'd in my car, but the smell is not that strong. There's a small hint of that odor though.

However, in my brothers Corolla, it smell so bad that we have to open the window when he turns on his A/C. He never shuts his A/C off to allow the water to drain before parking.
my pos 98 civic doesnt do this.
Old 06-18-10, 05:15 PM
2IS_Girl
Rookie

The odor is coming from the buildup of bacteria within the AC unit. "Airing it out" may work for awhile, but it will only be a temporary fix. To effectively get rid of the odor and bacteria you must use a spray like the one I mentioned above. Both dealerships and body shops are known to use this to remedy this problem.
Old 06-18-10, 08:35 PM
rza8gamma
Pole Position

I put the cabin filter in today (took me 7 minutes), i didn't notice a difference to be honest, but the smell is gone for the most part. I need to turn on the fan with the temp. all the way up so the bacteria can be killed. If their is even a small hint of smell within a week, i will go find the product mentioned by 2is_girl
Old 06-19-10, 01:05 AM
fr0st
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 2IS_Girl
The odor is coming from the buildup of bacteria within the AC unit. "Airing it out" may work for awhile, but it will only be a temporary fix. To effectively get rid of the odor and bacteria you must use a spray like the one I mentioned above. Both dealerships and body shops are known to use this to remedy this problem.
where are you suppose to spray it?
Old 06-19-10, 01:27 AM
2IS_Girl
Rookie

The cleaner comes with a thin hose attachment used for spraying into the center air vents. There will be a fresh/lemony scent that will gradually neutralize, as well. Just read the directions before you use it and you should be all set.
Old 06-19-10, 10:21 AM
fr0st
Pole Position

The cleaner comes with a thin hose attachment used for spraying into the center air vents. There will be a fresh/lemony scent that will gradually neutralize, as well. Just read the directions before you use it and you should be all set.
time to try this out.
Old 06-25-10, 09:20 PM
rza8gamma
Pole Position

Originally Posted by fr0st
time to try this out.
let me know how that works out for you, and were u bought it.
Old 06-28-10, 10:03 AM
penone
Driver

1Z Einszett Klima-Cleaner. Should run about $15 and the smell will be gone
Thanks for the tip! I had the same nasty smell last summer and ended getting a new cabin filter and using the heater method. Did work but every so often I do get a slight trace of that pee smell. Haven't had it reappear this summer yet - but it is still early. Will try this out the moment it does.

-P.
Old 06-28-10, 02:54 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rza8gamma
let me know how that works out for you, and were u bought it.
pretty much all of the vendors sell this stuff. i think most if not all have additional CL discount. so i would PM them.

proper auto $16.99
http://www.properautocare.com/1zklaircocl.html

glistening $14.95
http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...Cleaner/Detail

detailed image $16.99
http://www.detailedimage.com/Einszet...476/250-ml-S1/

detailer's domain $14.95
http://www.detailersdomain.com/1zein...iacleaner.aspx
Old 06-28-10, 04:55 PM
gocubs08
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I dont understand how this stuff works? You spray in the center air vents, wouldnt it just blow back out inside your interior? How does it get to the AC core?

I have the same issue... My car always smelled so new and nice, but lately I'll open the door and smell this dirty sock smell... must be the AC issue everyone is talking about, its been super hot and muggy here lately..

Quick Reply: Bad Smell coming from air conditioning