IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Discoloration in Seat...Perma Plate issue or Lexus' Problem???

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-10, 10:05 AM
DexRox512
Turkey Killer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discoloration in Seat...Perma Plate issue or Lexus' Problem???

Hey guys...I took my car in the other day to the dealer for a few things, one of which being that my drivers side seat has MAJOR discoloration on the left side bolster. It's sort of a blue fading that the dealer says ISN'T denim and wouldn't be because it is higher than where I'm sitting. It's a 2009 with 20,000 miles. Anyway, they said they'd send it into their detail shop and they can "definitely get it out". Well I get the car back last night, get home, and I look at the seat in the light and it is 10 times worse! They put some kind of bleach or what-not on the seat which faded the color even more. I had my fiancee look at it, who normally says I'm too picky and even she said..."ya, that's bad". So I go back to the dealer this morning and have them look again in regular light. My service guy didn't see it, but he pulled the detail guy in on it and he saw it and remembered it right away. He told me that they couldn't get it out no matter how hard they tried, that he felt it was an actual malfunction with the quality of the seat cover. My service guy brought another guy over and he noticed right away, BUT...also noticed that I had patched the seat, right on the edge where my fiancee tore the seat from wearing jeans with buttons on them! It's in a completely different spot, completely different color, no bigger than a quarter...basically opposite issues and he claimed that Lexus will reject it and that he wants to have a rep come out and look at it. At this point, I'm pissed...I already feel like an *** for complaining about this, however I also got sucked in to paying for Perma Plate, so I'm thinking, why not take advantage of that in this case. Well...they told me they'd get a district manager out to look which will be 3 weeks! In the mean time, they said I should call Perma Plate and file a claim to see what they'll do. How should I be going about this from here? The seats are white and when it's light out, this really shows up. I am pretty picky, but I'm becoming even worse because of that fact that the dealer sold me on Perma Plate and is now flaking on me because the seat has a small patch. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old 06-04-10, 10:15 AM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think if your repair work or mod doesn't have anything to do with the reported problem, then the dealer still have to honor your warranty.

For example, if you swapped your rims to aftermarket, then they cant void your warranty on a stereo problem in your car.

In your case, for example, if that your repair work was on the left side and the problem (which is different) was on the right side. Your case is in a grey area but it may be worth a shot to check...

I used to own a Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V and people on Nissan Forum used to complain about the dealer turning down warranty work...even when it doesn't have anything to do with the mod. That's when I hear about people bringing up this law in CA. It's called Magnuson Moss warranty law. You can so some google searching.

*also note* I'm not a lawyer so I can't guarantee anything.
Old 06-04-10, 10:24 AM
DexRox512
Turkey Killer

The patch is on the same side, but it doesn't take a genius to look at it and say...Ok, this does not at all relate to what's going on here. I am talking the whole entire bolster is covered in blue/bleached out compared to a small chunk of neatly repaired leather. Crazy!
Old 06-04-10, 11:06 AM
DexRox512
Turkey Killer

Anyone else got any ideas?
Old 06-04-10, 11:46 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Same as Shadowman. The earlier damage has nothing to do with the DEFECT in the leather. Lexus should replace the cover.
Old 06-04-10, 05:53 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

They obviously acknowledge that there is a problem they need to address otherwise they wouldn't of tried to bleach it in the first place. They should take care of ya
Old 06-05-10, 09:59 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Paragraphs and pics please.