Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Roof Vinyl-ing POLL

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-10, 11:42 AM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by heartmyis
^That's what a heat gun is used for, to take out wrinkles =)

You can spray the vinyl with clear coat or just put a clear bra film over to give it a more gloss look.
I know. LoL.... I'm saying if the finish was already glossy, I don't think you can heat gun it at all to take the wrinkle out.
Old 06-04-10, 08:16 PM
guacamole
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thinking about doing this aswell.
Old 06-04-10, 08:20 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 117 Likes on 44 Posts

To Be Honest. Vinyl roof looks like *****. its a big sticker! Corners are messey it peels and will yellow your paint. Do it the right way paint it. Shop around. You'd be surprised. the difference might just be 100$, but will looks 1000x better. i have seen both in person. at Night. Gloss black painted shines. Gloss black vinyl looks like matte, with no shine. Just my .02. You bought an expensive car, dont go the cheap way. You will 99.9% of the time regret it.
Old 06-04-10, 10:10 PM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

i was going for that exact look.... gloss in the day matte by night... the edges i'm trying to figure that out so yeah

Andre
Old 06-05-10, 12:10 AM
HeartmyIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JoshIS408
To Be Honest. Vinyl roof looks like *****. its a big sticker! Corners are messey it peels and will yellow your paint. Do it the right way paint it. Shop around. You'd be surprised. the difference might just be 100$, but will looks 1000x better. i have seen both in person. at Night. Gloss black painted shines. Gloss black vinyl looks like matte, with no shine. Just my .02. You bought an expensive car, dont go the cheap way. You will 99.9% of the time regret it.
It depends who does the install
Old 06-05-10, 12:11 AM
HeartmyIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by acefalcon2
i was going for that exact look.... gloss in the day matte by night... the edges i'm trying to figure that out so yeah

Andre
You want to full tuck the edges so that they don't lift later on. Don't just cut it along the contour or edge of the roof. It really takes 2 people for the job, have to stretch the vinyl pretty good.
Old 06-05-10, 10:01 AM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

alright... colleen you know what size vinyl i need?

Andre
Old 06-05-10, 10:07 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Andre,

Come up and have Gytis paint it for you. Bet it will cost about the same and look much better. Gytis painted his GS roof and a few other members. This will look HOT on your car
Old 06-05-10, 10:12 AM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

i want something reversible.. remember i have a year left... so yeah... easily reversible too!

Andre
Old 06-05-10, 10:20 AM
H_G'S_IS
Driver

I've just did mine a month ago still looks good.my car sleeps outside day n nite time.i'll agree 100% w/ Josh that painted looks much better but the reason why i did it 'cause if i'll get bored later on just peel it of ,waxed n done. paid $180 w/ labor.the guy charge 12.50 sq f
Attached Thumbnails Roof Vinyl-ing POLL-black-roof-top-004.jpg  

Last edited by H_G'S_IS; 06-05-10 at 10:35 AM.
Old 06-05-10, 10:21 AM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

anyone can get me where i would be able to get those vinyl other than aerotect? rvinyl has only 24" width

Andre
Old 06-05-10, 11:03 PM
x2eXu50x
Rookie

Originally Posted by brociouz
I had mine wrapped in glossy vinyl. It's been like 4 months and now it looks like matte black. I'm going to take it off and have it painted soon, it bothers me that much.
Cheap vinyl. Ive had mine for almost a year looks brand new.

Originally Posted by heartmyis
All vinyl scratch easy. It's just a matter of what type of vinyl is more visible. CF not so much, solid colors, especially matte yes.
Heat gun.

Not true. People think mine is painted. Thumbs up to Aerotec! Also COMPLETELY not true that at night it looks matte. My rear tinted window and the roof look like one piece, thats how shiny it is. And i love that look which is exactly why i got it glossy.

To the OP: GLOSSY BLACK VINYL ALL THE WAY!
Old 06-05-10, 11:10 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 117 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by x2eXu50x
Not true. People think mine is painted. Thumbs up to Aerotec! Also COMPLETELY not true that at night it looks matte. My rear tinted window and the roof look like one piece, thats how shiny it is. And i love that look which is exactly why i got it glossy.

To the OP: GLOSSY BLACK VINYL ALL THE WAY!
To each his own. Everyone is always biased ..At the Certified Lexus Premier Pizza meet, Brian (Brociouz ) had his car pulled right next to mine. We both noticed the difference between vinyl and paint. The Vinyl was alot Duller and appeared to be matte even though it was glossy. Vinyl also scratches easier, will in time yellow your clearccoat, and peels...Again this is just my conclusion based on observations and word of mouth. Dont take it to heart. As long as your happy, im happy ... I was just sharing my rightful opinion to OP. If OP does vinyl and decides to rip off his vinyl and finds a yellow clearcoat, he will need to get it resprayed. If this is the case, he should have just painted it from the gecko for a better look ( If you chose gloss black that is).

Last edited by JoshIS408; 06-05-10 at 11:14 PM.
Old 06-05-10, 11:12 PM
x2eXu50x
Rookie

To each his own. Everyone is always biased ..At the Certified Lexus Premier Pizza meet, Brian (Brociouz ) had his car pulled right next to mine. We both noticed the difference between vinyl and paint. The Vinyl was alot Duller and appeared to be matte even though it was glossy. Vinyl also scratches easier, will in time yellow your clearccoat, and peels...Again this is just my conclusion based on observations and word of mouth. Dont take it to heart. As long as your happy, im happy ... I was just sharing my rightful opinion to OP.
Of course painted is better no doubt about it. But the OP, like me, has a lease. And we need something reversible. Im sure there is a difference but it isnt to the degree that you stated. There is a difference but it isnt as far as looking matte at night, thats bashing a bit too hard!
Old 06-05-10, 11:41 PM
HeartmyIS
Lexus Champion

To each his own. Everyone is always biased ..At the Certified Lexus Premier Pizza meet, Brian (Brociouz ) had his car pulled right next to mine. We both noticed the difference between vinyl and paint. The Vinyl was alot Duller and appeared to be matte even though it was glossy. Vinyl also scratches easier, will in time yellow your clearccoat, and peels...Again this is just my conclusion based on observations and word of mouth. Dont take it to heart. As long as your happy, im happy ... I was just sharing my rightful opinion to OP. If OP does vinyl and decides to rip off his vinyl and finds a yellow clearcoat, he will need to get it resprayed. If this is the case, he should have just painted it from the gecko for a better look ( If you chose gloss black that is).
Ummm, if the installer does a half job...using primer and all yes it will yellow over time. Just look at Don and Harry's cars....enough said Josh and you know it FYI, Don had his entire car wrapped for over 2 years and he recently removed the trunk piece...no yellowing at all. Expensive vinyl plus skilled install does the trick

Quick Reply: Roof Vinyl-ing POLL