IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Performance Tires in Cold Weather

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-10, 08:46 AM
ajfinoak
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance Tires in Cold Weather

I have the optional performance low profile tires on my IS 250 and living in SF Bay Area in CA I use them year round. Going to Yosemite this weekend and heard it will be in the 30's at night there (very unusual for May). I know these tires are not good for snow but does traction of the rubber diminish with temps approaching freezing?
Old 05-20-10, 08:49 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

The colder it is, the harder the rubber will be...so that means less traction. You probably won't notice too much of a difference, just don't push it...also, your tire pressure will drop slightly, so don't be too surprised if your TPMS light comes on...
Old 05-20-10, 09:09 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah...35 and below I'd just be careful not to get too aggressive with your driving... I've had VSC kick on once or twice spiritedly taking an on or off ramp when it was 35 or lower with summer tires on dry roads.
Old 05-20-10, 10:37 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Yeah...35 and below I'd just be careful not to get too aggressive with your driving... I've had VSC kick on once or twice spiritedly taking an on or off ramp when it was 35 or lower with summer tires on dry roads.
Hah, still beats any A/S tire. The ones I have on my car cause VSC to kick in anytime I give it WOT. The rear end will slip out a bit when I accelerate in a straight line from a roll.

I would recommend anyone with a 350 to never buy an A/S tire if you like to actually give your car some throttle now and then.
Old 05-20-10, 10:45 AM
NoHoIS350
Pole Position

You should be fine. Your not racing on them but normal driving. Only thing when you get up in the morning those things are gunna be cold you might even get feel flat spots, (might get the vibration, but that goes away when the tire get some heat in them) again once you drive for a bit & get some heat in the tires you will be fine for NORMAL driving.
Old 05-20-10, 11:57 AM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by NoHoIS350
You should be fine. Your not racing on them but normal driving. Only thing when you get up in the morning those things are gunna be cold you might even get feel flat spots, (might get the vibration, but that goes away when the tire get some heat in them) again once you drive for a bit & get some heat in the tires you will be fine for NORMAL driving.
I've found the in the 30's my boxster is fine. gets below 25 and the tires are real stiff and choppy on the turns.
Old 05-20-10, 11:59 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra

I would recommend anyone with a 350 to never buy an A/S tire if you like to actually give your car some throttle now and then.

I generally recommend nobody at all buy A/S tires. They are a compromise that aren't great at anything.

If you live someplace it really snows then get SNOW tires for the winter and summer tires for the rest of the time.
Old 05-21-10, 12:54 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For 30's you should be considering winter tires. the rubber in winter tires avoids turning into hockey pucks under 7C(45F).

your summer tires won't really have any grip in that cold of temperatures. winter tires aren't just for when it snows but for when it gets close to freezing temperatures.

you can risk it summer tires, but winter tires would be the safest choice.
Old 05-21-10, 01:10 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

I drove my IS-F at Carolina Motorsports Park on the OEM Bridgestone RE050s at just below freezing temperatures at full speed. It was a track weekend. I had no problems. I wouldn't worry about anything, just don't drive like an idiot.
Old 05-21-10, 10:57 AM
ajfinoak
Driver

Of course, now I hear that the Yosemite weather could be in the 40's during the day and the 20's at night with possible light snow. I don't imagine these Summer tires do well in the snow but if it is that cold and snowing I am not going out. Will sit in the Awanhee Lodge and drink cocktails if I can get there. I grew up driving in snow in the Northeast so know how to drive cautiously in snow but concerns are about these tires. No point in getting Winter tires since I never go to the snow unless with someone with AWD.
Old 05-21-10, 11:50 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ultra high performance summer tires in snow? No problem!

Old 05-21-10, 12:06 PM
ajfinoak
Driver

So, Mike Z, any words of advice or suggestions to arrive alive with these tires???
Old 05-21-10, 01:19 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Start braking a mile away, once you gain momentum you ain't stopping

That's just for snow though, driving in the dry at below freezing is just like in the wet, your turn in response is a bit sluggish and the braking suffers slightly, just take it easy.

Lane changes and normal curves on the road feels normal, very confidence inspiring even in the snow. It's really the braking that is dangerous, specially if wet or in snow.

If you are in snow, brake at least 10x ahead of where you usually start braking, and go 1/2 as fast as you usually do on roads.

Last edited by mikez; 05-21-10 at 01:25 PM.
Old 05-21-10, 01:23 PM
sandwiches
Driver

Mikez, you have *****. I got caught in Tahoe with my Toyo T1Rs on. The sky was clear in the morning but it started to snow a bit in the afternoon. There was only mild accumulation of snow but I basically got stuck in the parking lot for a few minutes. Finally made it onto the road leading down to the highway from the ski resort parking lot. There was probably not even 1/8" of snow but my VSC was beeping like mad and I was wiggling my way down the road. Pretty sketchy.

Kurtz, I only head up to Tahoe a few times a season; do you think even a highly rated all season tire like the Continental Extreme Contact DWS is still bad?
Old 05-21-10, 01:28 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sandwiches
Mikez, you have *****. I got caught in Tahoe with my Toyo T1Rs on. The sky was clear in the morning but it started to snow a bit in the afternoon. There was only mild accumulation of snow but I basically got stuck in the parking lot for a few minutes. Finally made it onto the road leading down to the highway from the ski resort parking lot. There was probably not even 1/8" of snow but my VSC was beeping like mad and I was wiggling my way down the road. Pretty sketchy.

Kurtz, I only head up to Tahoe a few times a season; do you think even a highly rated all season tire like the Continental Extreme Contact DWS is still bad?
I drove 70mph for 45miles home during that snow storm in the pic It is pretty scary, but if you take it real easy on the gas and slowly build up speed, and avoid using the throttle during turns and lane changes the traction controls keeps the car inline for you. You can feel the car gently swerve left and right but if your foot is off the gas the it just felt like someone is rocking you in a boat for like 2 secs lol

Quick Reply: Performance Tires in Cold Weather