IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

DICE Electronics iPod Kit with install pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-10, 12:37 PM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DIY: DICE Electronics iPod Kit with install pics

I've been looking for an iPod kit for a while now, and was almost going to get the Lexus kit, but then decided to go with the DICE kit. Simple and I don't need all the features of the VAISTech and just want something to play music from my iPod and allow me to access it through my audio system. I called up DICE and they gave me 10% off so total price came out to $153.00 before tax.
If you call them up at (888)342-3999 and ask for Victor Chavez at ext. 131, he can hook it up.

Drove down to their facility in Signal Hill, down the 405S near Long Beach, and he installed it himself. Here is our diy when we were installing.

First slide the center console cover back

You can see how the center trim is separate, just grab it at the edge and carefully lift it up

Before you can totally remove the trim you have to unscrew the shifter, just grab it firmly and unscrew it counterclockwise

For the side silver pieces, you have to grab it from the edge and pull it out almost diagonally. The pull is more horizontal than it is vertical

Once you have the whole center trim out, there's two wires that are connected, and you just need to disconnect the two

Here are the two connectors after being disconnected. One connector white, the other black.

Next thing to remove is the ashtray/cigarette lighter. there are two screws holding it down that you can remove using a phillips screwdriver. First picture is the one on the left and next is the one on the right.

Just remove it by tilting it up, and sliding it out towards you

Underneath there's a connector for the cigarette lighter that you just disconnect

After that time to get the center vents out. There's 4 clips at the top that you have to pry out, but do this carefully with a small flathead.

To remove it, get a small pry tool or a plastic thing to wedge in between the vent and the dash to get it separated and then pull from the left to get it out carefully.

Once it's out, you can either set the whole unit on top out of the way, or disconnect the wires. There's two connectors, in red to remove, and then the wire is clipped in two places, in blue that you need to undo and you can set it aside and out of the way.

Time to remove the headunit, there's four screws, two on top and two on the bottom that hold it in place. The screws are circled in red the first picture is the top, and the second picture is the bottom.

We didn't picture this, but there's a white button, the shift button next to the gear shifter that you can press and shift it into drive so that the stick is out of the way allowing more access for removing the headunit. We also wrapped the stick with a thick towel so that it possibly wouldn't damage the nav screen or rest of the unit.

Behind the unit, you'll find a variety of connectors, you need to look near the bottom where there's the input for the CD changer I believe(?) Correct me if I'm wrong though, but I was holding it while Victor did this step. He disconnected the one that was plugged in there and then connected the cable for the DICE unit and had the other cable plug into DICE part. This part is where I was most confused because I couldn't see it for myself.

Next we pulled the cable through the side. We had to push the side carpet in a bit and get our finger under to grab it, but pulled it out because we were going to have the DICE unit mounted under the glove box on the passenger side. This way it would be easy to access if I need to change settings.

Placing the DICE unit on foam packaging, it cushions it and no need for zipties or double sided stick tape to secure it because it's held in place pretty well. To lower this part, you have to use a pry tool to get the side plastic piece off, that goes up against the door when it is closed.

The cable we fed through the glove box and grabbed it underneath and hooked it up into the unit. There is a gap that you can feed it through and it holds the cable pretty tightly so it won't yank it out of the unit if pulled, and I gave myself enough slack so that I can access the iPod too from the driver seat if need be.

Here are pictures of the DICE screen when used under SAT mode.
Main Menu:

Text:

Overall I am happy, but was hoping that navigation would be a bit easier with hierarchy and folders so that I can view songs on the audio system, but within just a few days, I've already gotten use to it. Like any system, it just takes getting used to and when it emulates Satellite radio mode, it's very easy to operate. I might try mp3 CD Emulator to see how that is, but it just emulates functions that the stock audio system already has. I keep my iPod now in my glove and just access it from the steering wheel and couldn't be happier with the purchase.

Best part I paid under $200, can safely flip through songs on my iPod through the car audio, and charge my iPod. The 3 goals I was aiming for and couldn't be happier. Comes in such a nice package, great customer service, and had a cool time doing the install with Victor. Definitely give him a call if you're interested, (888)342-3999, ext. 131.

Last edited by JDKane527; 07-14-10 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Thread name
Old 05-14-10, 12:46 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Congrats, I've always wanted to install a setup like this myself but cant get myself to take apart my car to that extent haha. You got a good deal tho!
Old 05-14-10, 01:17 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

awesome. i would love to get something like this but they dont make anything for my car that supports the 4th gen ML system
Old 05-14-10, 01:27 PM
A1Lexis
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great DIY Jeff I've had the same system for about a year with no problems. No need for CD's, everything is on my Ipod and it integrates nicely with the Nav.. The best advantage is using the steering wheel controls instead of taking your eyes off the road to change songs
Old 05-14-10, 03:43 PM
blk250
Lexus Test Driver

sooo NICE with the installation PICs
Old 05-14-10, 03:52 PM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i love these too!! haha

Andre
Old 05-14-10, 03:57 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

So you had to disconnect the CD changer to plug in the Dice? I thought there was an empty socket that you could just plug in the Dice (Sat connector)?
Old 05-14-10, 04:02 PM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sktn77a
So you had to disconnect the CD changer to plug in the Dice? I thought there was an empty socket that you could just plug in the Dice (Sat connector)?
TBH I forgot how he did it. We did this on Tuesday. It may have been that there was a cable plugged in for SAT that ran to the trunk, but I'm not sure. You can set it to emulate through the SAT or CD player though.
Old 05-14-10, 04:42 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Does your CD changer still work?
Old 05-14-10, 04:49 PM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Does your CD changer still work?
Yep!
Old 05-14-10, 10:14 PM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pm me if you need install help and i'll give you my cell... i live on the east.. so just be wary of time difference... other than that i'll be glad to help out
i did this on my own... so i know what's involved at every step

Andre
Old 05-15-10, 01:27 AM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

great DIY sir, this is the same process for other systems!
Old 05-15-10, 03:15 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Excellent DIY!
Old 05-15-10, 01:20 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Nice work, it's essentially the same as the iPod integration kit from Lexus for $100 cheaper. Do wish it listed songs not just one at a time
Old 05-15-10, 01:24 PM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Nice work, it's essentially the same as the iPod integration kit from Lexus for $100 cheaper. Do wish it listed songs not just one at a time
Yeah, forsure. Under SAT mode is does that, but under mp3 CD mode it can list it like tracklists. They say that when it's in CD mode, you press CD once and it goes to the DICE unit, press it again goes to actual CDs, press it again goes to AUX.

Quick Reply: DICE Electronics iPod Kit with install pics