IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Questions about potential damage I might incur if i put on splitters..too risky?

Old 05-07-10, 11:03 PM
patrick323
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about potential damage I might incur if i put on splitters..too risky?

I purchased some carbon fiber splitters . Also ordered some support rods. I have no lip kit. just stock bumper/lip.

I know this:
THe down-force often does a number on the rivets holding that bumper in place. This is why I purchased some support rods. I'm hoping this will help that potential issue

I plan to simply use a lot of small self tapping screws to attach this as opposed to removing the bumper and using nuts/bolts. Mainly because I can do this myself and i'm not comfy removing my own bumper (and dont want to pay someone to).

Speaking with my father who knows a fair deal about these things (though he's pretty old school)....he seems to think it's a bad idea because since i'm already low to the ground, that these will rip off and royally mess up my front end in the process.

Is it truly that risky? I'd hate to NOT put these pretty things on. I, admittedly, am doing it more for appeal than function...therefore it might not be worth it if I run a high risk of some bad damage.

Opinions please?
Old 05-07-10, 11:28 PM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think you should be fine, go for it! ps where did you get the splitters.
Old 05-07-10, 11:31 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

regardless, pictures
Old 05-07-10, 11:57 PM
patrick323
Lead Lap

I bought them from a guy in the classifieds. carbon fiber "replicas." Assured they are quality. Coming in the mail around the 10th or 11th or if hell freezes over maybe sooner. They'll go on immediately and i'll post pics. Should look good to accent seibon hood.
Old 05-08-10, 12:01 AM
MiiK350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check this out.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...er-owners.html
Old 05-08-10, 12:28 AM
patrick323
Lead Lap

I bought it from one poster in that thread...."n0th1ng."

He seems fairly active here and I had no reason to believe it was a junk sale. But we will find out.
Old 05-08-10, 12:36 AM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

n0th1ng is a good guy he sold it, becuase it was an extra
Old 05-08-10, 12:53 AM
patrick323
Lead Lap

yeah, i'm not worried.

Just REALLLLY dont wnat to have to take off bumper to use nuts and bolts and realllly dont want it to rip my front end up if it comes out.

I'm pretty ignorant about hardware (types of screws, etc. etc.). Are there any self tapping screws that are better than others or is it just one type?

Would it be better to use a lot of small ones, or fewer larger ones?
Old 05-08-10, 01:41 AM
omgswifty
Pole Position

alot of smaller ones would get it pretty tight, no gaps that u'd hafta fix with 3m tape.
Old 05-08-10, 07:51 AM
venZon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My buddy has a slammed 400hp impreza with a APR splinter and no problems. we drove 6hrs to the US on the high way at high speed and it was solid.

Then again his was made for his car so that might be why.

I recommenced using double sied tape and autobody screws. Not sure where to get it my cousin is a painter so I get stuff like that off of him.
Old 05-09-10, 01:34 PM
patrick323
Lead Lap

I am going to go ahead and get a new front lip (gfx) while I am it.

Would you all suggest that I install the lip THEN intall the splitters. Or would it be best/easiest to install the splitters on the lip before i put the lip on the vehicle?
Old 05-10-10, 12:26 AM
is150
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by patrick323
I am going to go ahead and get a new front lip (gfx) while I am it.

Would you all suggest that I install the lip THEN intall the splitters. Or would it be best/easiest to install the splitters on the lip before i put the lip on the vehicle?
personally i would go ahead and install the gfx front lip then mock up the splitters using blue painters tape or similar, to position the splitters exactly where you want them. once you have decided on the location, take the gfx lip back off and install the splitter permanently.
post pics once you have installed everything. i was thinking of doing something similar.
Old 05-10-10, 01:21 AM
patrick323
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by is150
personally i would go ahead and install the gfx front lip then mock up the splitters using blue painters tape or similar, to position the splitters exactly where you want them. once you have decided on the location, take the gfx lip back off and install the splitter permanently.
post pics once you have installed everything. i was thinking of doing something similar.
Now that I think about it. I think may be the manipulation this lip would go through when installing it.....would be difficult while splitters are on it. If I'm going to install the lip first.....then it'd just be as easy as lining up and drilling holes when it's on. It just might/mightve been a little more comfy to install/drill while the lip was off. But again the more I think about it, I think putting the lip in (all the clips and getting it flush) would be more difficult with some splitters adding weight and getting in the way.
Old 05-10-10, 04:52 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I would suggest using nuts and bolts to hold it to the car. i had a cf front splitter for my old car and after about an hour driving down 95, the screws started to pull out.
Old 05-10-10, 10:18 AM
patrick323
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
I would suggest using nuts and bolts to hold it to the car. i had a cf front splitter for my old car and after about an hour driving down 95, the screws started to pull out.

Would the nuts/bots be attached to the LIP...or to the bumper? If the lip....then that's easy enough. My only concern then would be..if it does pull out then pulling out bolts will mess things up more than pulling out a screw

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Questions about potential damage I might incur if i put on splitters..too risky?