IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

:((

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-10, 12:05 PM
cupid0210
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flektone
The DMV and IRS areant dumb. Its his butt thats on the line for putting a $2k sale price down on a car that is worth over $20k. I dont blame the guy. You can get away with that on a 10 yr old honda with high milage. But we're talking about a luxury car thats 2 years old.
+1 on that!!
Old 04-27-10, 12:09 PM
khoab88
Lead Lap

Default Say I scam the gov?

Every vehicle out the dealer has to paid tax. That's the first sale tax, and the vehicle has already been taxed on. Then, when the owner resale it, it will be taxed AGAIN. Why does it have to be taxed again when it already got taxed at first? What is this like Italy mafia or something? and,... I think it never happen, but what if a vehicle got transferred 10 times, then it's 10x of ~$2k in tax to be ~$21k? wtf?

The government tried to tax u multilayer.

Think about it! U already paid tax on your annual income, and the manufacture (like Lexus, and the dealer as distributor in this case) also already paid tax on their income. Should you still have to paid another, or multilayer of tax on the resale of it? Or am I saying something wrong and should I pull this post down?
Old 04-27-10, 12:10 PM
tenaciousF
Rookie

I believe some states now make you pay bluebook value when you pay taxes. You could deduct sales tax on a car purchase from your income tax this year so all was good.
Old 04-27-10, 12:20 PM
sandwiches
Driver

Just pay the tax dude.
Old 04-27-10, 12:34 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

dude 2012 is coming. there has been like an earthquake almost every week in CA. GG earth. spend your money now
Old 04-27-10, 12:37 PM
svntwosix
Lexus Test Driver

It's called a sales tax. If you buy something in CA, you would pay a sales tax for using the product or service. True the seller payed taxes already to use it, but you did not. So even if the item gets taxed 10x, each individual using only pays taxes ONCE for using it.
Old 04-27-10, 12:42 PM
soulsoarer
Pole Position

Originally Posted by khoab88
Every vehicle out the dealer has to paid tax. That's the first sale tax, and the vehicle has already been taxed on. Then, when the owner resale it, it will be taxed AGAIN. Why does it have to be taxed again when it already got taxed at first? What is this like Italy mafia or something? and,... I think it never happen, but what if a vehicle got transferred 10 times, then it's 10x of ~$2k in tax to be ~$21k? wtf?

The government tried to tax u multilayer.

Think about it! U already paid tax on your annual income, and the manufacture (like Lexus, and the dealer as distributor in this case) also already paid tax on their income. Should you still have to paid another, or multilayer of tax on the resale of it? Or am I saying something wrong and should I pull this post down?
I do agreed. I thought the same thing, why should someone pay tax on something that has been taxed already especially when it comes from a private party and not a business. If that's the case why don't you pay tax on all the items you buy online, craigslist, and yard sales? They might not be compare to a car value but its still the same principle, right or wrong?
Old 04-27-10, 12:53 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by soulsoarer
If that's the case why don't you pay tax on all the items you buy online, craigslist, and yard sales? They might not be compare to a car value but its still the same principle, right or wrong?
In California, you're supposed to to pay tax on items you buy online. It's called a "use tax." Whenever you buy something from out of state (usually via the internet) and thus avoid the sales tax, you're supposed to declare it and pay CA sales tax when you file your return. The government is truly disgusting.
Old 04-27-10, 01:37 PM
soulsoarer
Pole Position

Originally Posted by brociouz
In California, you're supposed to to pay tax on items you buy online. It's called a "use tax." Whenever you buy something from out of state (usually via the internet) and thus avoid the sales tax, you're supposed to declare it and pay CA sales tax when you file your return. The government is truly disgusting.
I don't know where you got that from but true or not I hope you do what you preach. I don't know you but I'm sure you don't pay tax on most used items you buy off people. I'm done.

OP - Its personal pref what you want to do, if you still think its worth it then buy the car.
Old 04-27-10, 03:16 PM
kevenhang
Pole Position

taxes suck!!but yah gotta do it man you'll get in big trouble!
Old 04-27-10, 03:39 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by soulsoarer
I don't know where you got that from but true or not I hope you do what you preach. I don't know you but I'm sure you don't pay tax on most used items you buy off people. I'm done.

OP - Its personal pref what you want to do, if you still think its worth it then buy the car.
What's with the hostility? I wasn't "preaching," just telling you what the law is for internet purchases (used items are handled differently). You asked "right or wrong?" so I was explaining why you are wrong. I guess next time no one should correct you so you don't get your panties in a bunch.

Here's my source, and it's the only one that matters: http://www.ftb.ca.gov/current/usetax.shtml.

PS: In case I couldn't make it any more obvious, I think the "use tax" is ridiculous, but it is the law. Do most people report out-of-state purchases for the use tax? No.
Old 04-27-10, 09:25 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tenaciousF
I believe some states now make you pay bluebook value when you pay taxes. You could deduct sales tax on a car purchase from your income tax this year so all was good.
... You can always deduct sales tax on a car purchase.

What you could do is deduct the full value of the tax paid on a NEW car.
Old 04-27-10, 09:31 PM
rli2bcz
Pole Position

what a little *****!
Old 04-28-10, 06:15 AM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A friendo of mine was in love with an IS and wanted to buy it, the deal broke. a couple of weeks latter he found one even better. less milage, more optons at same price. youll find it dont worry.
Old 04-28-10, 09:36 AM
jay90011
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Well at least the OP did not ask the guy to transfer the title and avoid taxes completely like doing it as a gift .

I have sold three cars in the past and in each of those transactions the people who have bought them reported them to the DMV as A gift which they avoided paying taxes completely. One of them being a 4 year old 02 RSX type S in 06 and the other two being older mr2 and integra .

Quick Reply: :((