http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/api.aspx

Koz
hey koz do you personally use that?
Old 04-22-10, 03:39 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by edgeucated
hey koz do you personally use that?
A friend had an older car that started knocking going uphill on the highway. He started using higher octane gas and octane booster. It helped a little but there was still knock. He called me to ask about the price he was quoted for a fuel system cleaning ($400). I told him to try Amsoil PI before spending all that money on car he was considering selling. Not only did the knock stop he picked up about 2% better gas mileage. I recommended the product because someone I work with told me he had failed MV inspection for emissions and used two tanks of gas with this product and then passed. I have not used this product because I’m a firm believer in not using any additives unless it is absolutely necessary. If it isn’t broke don’t fix it!

Koz
Old 04-22-10, 04:05 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

thank you for the thorough response. my car is in no way showing any signs that it needs cleaning, but being an enthusiast, i usually like to clean things before any signs show up. i was hoping you had personally used it on our IS to make sure that it was safe with our car. all well, i guess ill keep this product in mind if i ever need to clean my fuel system
Old 04-22-10, 05:04 PM
Koz

Originally Posted by edgeucated
thank you for the thorough response. my car is in no way showing any signs that it needs cleaning, but being an enthusiast, i usually like to clean things before any signs show up. i was hoping you had personally used it on our IS to make sure that it was safe with our car. all well, i guess ill keep this product in mind if i ever need to clean my fuel system
PI is safe to use, not to worry. If I were to use any type of fuel system cleaner I would also change the oil and spark plugs. I plan on doing this at 50/60K miles. I do only use Top Tier fuel (V-Power) and have low miles. I also believe in preventive maintenance and long life products but I will not waste money.

Koz
Old 04-22-10, 06:59 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,847 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Fuel additives are antagonistic between manufacturers. If you run a couple of tanks of another brand through your engine, you'll clean up the deposits left by the previous fuel. This is why acetone often produces a small increase in fuel mileage when used as an additive but quickly loses its potency when you continue to use it.

So pretty much anything you put in your fuel is going to have a cleaning effect. If you are not a regular Chevron user, you can run a bottle of Techroline through your engine and your injectors will have better spray patterns. If you use Chevron, you could use Amsoil or Red Line's injector cleaners and get pretty much the same result. If you want to spend more money to feel good about spending money, you can get BG44K for about $20 a can and run that through. It works, but it surely isn't cheap.

Water is by far the best and cheapest decarbonizer. I've poured water into a carburetor as fast as it would pour from a 16 ounce container with the rpm at 2000 and not had any problems at all. Just like Seafoam, you'll get a big cloud of smoke, and if you have something as useful as a borescope, you'll see clean aluminum when you look at the piston tops through the sparkplug holes.

I've tried a few petroleum based supposed engine cleaners and been universally disappointed with the results. The only thing I've seen work well is straight water.
Old 04-22-10, 07:49 PM
Mavs36
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i use the sea-foam in my lexus and u run the sea-foam throw the PCV vacuum thats what get the carbon build up and also the smoke the gas and oil will not make smoke and if u research the sea-foam it says to do it right before a oil change and also the spark plugs cause it can cause build up and fault the plugs
when i used it i saw results right away my lexus has 225k and after the sea-foam its running great
Old 04-23-10, 06:53 AM
JUSROLLIN
Rookie

Man, I think some of you guys just reply to posts to add to the number under your name.

Seafoam does not suggest using it just before an oil change. They state very clearly that their product can be left in the crankcase indefinitely as long as the oil is clean. Once it becomes dirty, it needs to be changed. Leaving it in for an extended period of time will not damage anything as long as the oil does not become overly contaminated from the cleaning process.

Going off experience and not hearsay, Seafoam will clean the carbon off your sparkplugs, if anything, but the concern about the O2 sensors is valid.

Brandon
Old 04-23-10, 07:01 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JUSROLLIN
Man, I think some of you guys just reply to posts to add to the number under your name.

Seafoam does not suggest using it just before an oil change. They state very clearly that their product can be left in the crankcase indefinitely as long as the oil is clean. Once it becomes dirty, it needs to be changed. Leaving it in for an extended period of time will not damage anything as long as the oil does not become overly contaminated from the cleaning process.

Going off experience and not hearsay, Seafoam will clean the carbon off your sparkplugs, if anything, but the concern about the O2 sensors is valid.

Brandon
I've sent in Seafoam treated oil before to blackstone, it did degrade it. I woudln't leave it in for over 500 miles after the initial treatment
Old 05-01-10, 09:34 AM
l3xuz
Driver School Candidate

did you ever tried to hook it up through brake booster line becuase,im wondering if you did and did it work or not cause im planning to do it next time.
Old 05-01-10, 10:49 AM
shui3000
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, there's a lot of people here without practical experience of seafoam. To the OP, it's not going to let out white smoke because you didn't put it through the intake. Send the seafoam through the brake booster line.

Change the oil after a few hundred miles of having seafoam in the oil.

To everyone else, yes, seafoam cleans. There's potential that some carbon might get stuck on an injector or a spark plug after knocking all the carbon loose. How do I know this? It happened to me, and it's happened to a lot of people on the internet. It has the potential to mess up your o2 sensor, spark plugs, injectors, etc. But, it does clean very well. There's thousands of people that swear by it. I've used it in lots of old motorcycles and seafoam is magical.

I will run it through every vehicle I own.
Old 05-01-10, 01:42 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JUSROLLIN

Brandon
i wouldn't use seafoam for a long period in the crankcase. if you want something you can leave in there for a while. look into marvel mystery oil.

hell, plain old pennzoil will clean out your crankcase well enough alone.
Old 05-01-10, 07:26 PM
pigeon83
Rookie

if you're using a good synthetic oil, why would you need to put an additive in it? modern oils all have tons of detergents to clean out the engine!

i put sta-bil in the fuel of the car that i rarely drive, and mobil 1 15w-50 in it because it's got a lot of ZDDP.

use good oil and good fuel and you shouldn't need miracle cleaning stuff that'll likely mess up your engine.
Old 05-03-10, 08:27 AM
Koz

All additives (Including oil additives) are chemicals and chemicals are the first thing to breakdown and cause contamination. Even if used in the fuel system these chemicals will get into your oil and will circulate through your engine. UOA's have proven this. Don't use any additive unless there is an absolute need to and make sure you are using a PROVEN product. If you do use an additive follow the directions carefully. There are some really good additives on the market, Seafoam is definitely one of them.

Koz
Old 03-21-12, 06:05 PM
ralsty
Rookie

Any pics or DIY on adding the seafoam to the IS brake booster? I did it in the past on my '96 SC300 and was pleased with the results
Old 04-13-12, 02:16 PM
TheRusski
Rookie

I used it in my 4runner and it worked great! Planing on using it in my IS

Quick Reply: Seafoam?