IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

335i to IS250 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-10, 10:35 AM
cda888
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 335i to IS250 AWD

My '08 335i was coming close to its warranty, so I had a decision to make: keep it, get a new one, or consider another make. Money is not as plentiful today as when I got the 335,so something cheaper was definitely in the equation. Also, even though running snows on the 335 was okay, I get enough snow that i really wanted AWD this time around.

The 335 is a beast, but it has not been very reliable (2 window regulators, high pressure fuel pump, wastgate, fuel injectors) and even bimmerphiles agree that after around 60k, they are expensive to maintain. Audi's have always been appealing but they have the same problem, and then some. So I felt I had to go Japanese.

Value being a part of the mix, I considered a Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart- AWD and a quick 0-60, with a DCT that was fabulous. But the interior was dismal, and at $27k, not cheap enough to justify. Same with the WRX, and since I commute, I didn't want to row the gears in the subie.

I have previously owned a '92 SC400 I drove to 200k without any real problem, and it drove wonderfully until the day I traded it for an '02 IS300. I loved the IS300, and intended to pull the trigger on the '06 IS350, but the car was a letdown dynamically. It ended up that the 335 felt more like the IS300 to me than did the IS350.

Having driven the 335 for the last 2 years, the power intoxication has worn off. It really is overkill for me, with just commuting, even though it is fantastic to know you can pass just about any car on the road at will. So I broke down and got the car I thought was the best mix of reliability, comfort, and AWD- an 06 IS250 AWD.

So far I have to say I am happy with it. I've always liked the cabin better than the 335, the slightly softer ride than the 335 with sports pack is better on the highway, and I really don't miss the power much. Plus, you just stick through turns with AWD in a way that you never can with a powerful RWD. Although you miss the fun of breaking the tail loose, on the 335 you can only really do that if you turn DCT off, and that gets to be a pain over time.

Anyway, glad to be back in the Lexus fold. I hope this car keeps chugging for at least another 100k.
Old 04-20-10, 10:41 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

congrats on the new ride! reliability wont be an issue...i think it might be excessive modding, now that you're on the forums. haha! do enjoy her, and post some pics.
Old 04-20-10, 10:44 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

you may have been happier if you had went with the 350.
Old 04-20-10, 10:47 AM
cda888
Driver School Candidate

I had always planned on the 350 before I got the 335. But I commute so much in the snow that I knew I wanted AWD, even with snow tires. The real agony was accepting 100 less horses to get AWD. I almost pulled the trigger on the G37x, but in the end I just couldn't do it. That car is just not very attractive.
Old 04-20-10, 10:48 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Congrats! You'll be driving reliably now, albeit at a much slower speed...

Javier
Old 04-20-10, 10:51 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by javyLSU
Congrats! You'll be driving reliably now, albeit at a much slower speed...

Javier
hang on jav, a 250 can go as fast as a 335i, it'll just take a longer while so the correct phrase would be, 'albeit not as quick'
Old 04-20-10, 10:52 AM
Gaugster
Advanced

Congrats on the new ride. I am sure you will miss the power of the 335 sometimes but hopefully not too often.

You may still want to consider getting dedicated snow tires even with the AWD. That was my experience in Illinois. I could accelerate fine but braking and turning, not so much with the OEM all seasons. I.e. Bridgestone Potenza's.

Just a thought.
Old 04-20-10, 10:55 AM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good choice sir!
Old 04-20-10, 10:56 AM
cda888
Driver School Candidate

Tell me about it. I drove my in-laws' 03 Nissan Maxima the other day and it felt really fast in comparison to the 250. I'm guessing about 6 seconds 0-60. Its an adjustment to know the Camry next to you could blow your doors off if it wanted to.
Old 04-20-10, 10:59 AM
cda888
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gaugster
Congrats on the new ride. I am sure you will miss the power of the 335 sometimes but hopefully not too often.

You may still want to consider getting dedicated snow tires even with the AWD. That was my experience in Illinois. I could accelerate fine but braking and turning, not so much with the OEM all seasons. I.e. Bridgestone Potenza's.

Just a thought.

I was hoping I could get by with Michelin PS AS or Conti Extreme Contacts. We'll find out. The car cam with Kumho ASX which I expect won't be great in the snow.,
Old 04-20-10, 12:01 PM
four o two
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Downgrade; sorry to hear man.
Old 04-20-10, 12:17 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on something different. Sure the power is down, but the luxury factor is up, an upgrade in that department.

Note: In my experience if a car has numerous significant warranty repairs (like OP's 335), it does not well for reliability beyond the warranty period. So I'm not surprised his specific 335 wasn't a keeper.

Last edited by IS-SV; 04-20-10 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-20-10, 12:51 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
hang on jav, a 250 can go as fast as a 335i, it'll just take a longer while so the correct phrase would be, 'albeit not as quick'
Haha, actually it's neither! IS250 AWD has an electronically limited top speed of 130 - a BMW 335i can have a top speed of 150 depending on whether it's equipped with sport package or not.

Javier
Old 04-20-10, 01:09 PM
HeartmyIS
Lexus Champion

Congratz on new car. I used to own an 08' e92, of course made the switch over to Lexus =)
Old 04-20-10, 01:23 PM
dmocchi
Rookie

Originally Posted by cda888
My '08 335i was coming close to its warranty, so I had a decision to make: keep it, get a new one, or consider another make. Money is not as plentiful today as when I got the 335,so something cheaper was definitely in the equation. Also, even though running snows on the 335 was okay, I get enough snow that i really wanted AWD this time around.

The 335 is a beast, but it has not been very reliable (2 window regulators, high pressure fuel pump, wastgate, fuel injectors) and even bimmerphiles agree that after around 60k, they are expensive to maintain. Audi's have always been appealing but they have the same problem, and then some. So I felt I had to go Japanese.

Value being a part of the mix, I considered a Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart- AWD and a quick 0-60, with a DCT that was fabulous. But the interior was dismal, and at $27k, not cheap enough to justify. Same with the WRX, and since I commute, I didn't want to row the gears in the subie.

I have previously owned a '92 SC400 I drove to 200k without any real problem, and it drove wonderfully until the day I traded it for an '02 IS300. I loved the IS300, and intended to pull the trigger on the '06 IS350, but the car was a letdown dynamically. It ended up that the 335 felt more like the IS300 to me than did the IS350.

Having driven the 335 for the last 2 years, the power intoxication has worn off. It really is overkill for me, with just commuting, even though it is fantastic to know you can pass just about any car on the road at will. So I broke down and got the car I thought was the best mix of reliability, comfort, and AWD- an 06 IS250 AWD.

So far I have to say I am happy with it. I've always liked the cabin better than the 335, the slightly softer ride than the 335 with sports pack is better on the highway, and I really don't miss the power much. Plus, you just stick through turns with AWD in a way that you never can with a powerful RWD. Although you miss the fun of breaking the tail loose, on the 335 you can only really do that if you turn DCT off, and that gets to be a pain over time.

Anyway, glad to be back in the Lexus fold. I hope this car keeps chugging for at least another 100k.

Funny how Toyota is the current manufacturer under the media scope in regards to quality issues yet my 335 and previous audi give me the impression as though they were assembled in a 3rd world country somewhere where moisture seeped into every single electronic compartment.
All kidding aside, if reliability is your thing then you wont be disappointed by your IS. Although Im not a fan of the BMW's austere looking interior I must say that the quality of plastic is definately better than that of the Lexus which creaks and craks over time

Quick Reply: 335i to IS250 AWD