IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

New to Lexus, New IS250, Questions & Observations

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-10, 07:21 PM
052SI
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question New to Lexus, New IS250, Questions & Observations

Just picked up a new 2010 IS250 auto for the wifey (she formerly had an '08 BMW 328 sport auto) and I have some questions and observations.

1) When the car is coming to a stop occasionally you can feel the gear selector jump forward a bit while your hand is resting on it, it does not do it everytime but when it does you can definetly feel it. I took the car in for service and drove an '09 IS250 loaner which did the same thing. The shop foreman finally admitted that he has noticed it too but tried to say it was due to the special engine and trans mounts to help with vibrations etc. Of all the auto box cars I've driven I never recall one where the gear selector occasionally jumps forward a bit when coming to a stop.

3) I notice when shifting from park or reverse into drive sometimes it takes a few more extra seconds for the trans to engage, is this normal for the IS?

2) I'm hoping I just missed it in the owner's manual but why is there no warning beep if the headlights are left on? I realize there is an auto feature but we prefer the manual mode...never driven a modern day car without a beep/buzzer to alert the lights were left on after the car has been turned off.

We really like the smooth ride (even with the 18's) and interior/exterior styling of the IS, but miss the better brakes, extra 26 hp and sound of the BMW inline six. We would have gotten another 328but the Lexus lease deal was far better than BMW's.

Thanks

Last edited by 052SI; 04-11-10 at 08:53 PM.
Old 04-11-10, 08:51 PM
J_Hao
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1). Mine does the same thing, and the dealer told me it's normal.
2). The headlight will turn off automatically doesn't matter you put it to the manual mode or auto.
Old 04-11-10, 08:56 PM
052SI
Pole Position

Thanks J Hao,

It's comforting to know that the lights will eventually turn off but why no beep/reminder?

We like to drive with one hand on the wheel and the other on the shifter lever so it can be a bit annoying...I guess there hasn't enough cutomer feedback re the shifter movement for Lexus to correct it even 4 model years later (2010)

This car's ride is sooo smooth comp'd to the BMW's dreadful run flat tire's ride.

Last edited by 052SI; 04-11-10 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-11-10, 11:13 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

The clunking or moving transmission does not sound normal to me. Mine does not display such characteristics and I've never heard of a gear shifter move on it's own. I'd take it back in to be checked.
Old 04-11-10, 11:43 PM
kevetard
Rookie

the transmission is really slow to switch into gear from neutral or park into drive/reverse..it's really really irritating..i have a 2010 and i'm thinking i should have stayed with my acura because i'm impatient and don't hold the brake long enough for the car to be in gear fully and i know it puts a lot of stress on the tranny when i do that...i've written about this on the lexus surveys they send me..and also in stop and go traffic the shift between 1st and 2nd gear is not smooth at all....and wtf is the point of manual mode when the motor doesnt upshift you "manually" shift it?
Old 04-11-10, 11:58 PM
blk250
Lexus Test Driver

Congrats! For the lights, I guess, they will turn off automatically, so the warning chim for the driver to turn them off is not neccessary. Or someone may like to see the path to walk back the house
Old 04-12-10, 12:16 AM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get better tires. It will dramatically improve the braking complaint.
1) That is normal if you are braking rather hard. When I brake progressively it does not and its better on the passengers, so they aren't lunging forward.
3) that does not sound normal
2) The headlight turn off after like 30 seconds.
Old 04-12-10, 12:18 AM
n0th1ng
Lexus Test Driver

Welcome to Lexus and CL!
Quickly about headlights if you lock your car with remote press lock 2x then it will turn off the lights
Old 04-12-10, 12:55 AM
raptor22
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 052SI
It's comforting to know that the lights will eventually turn off but why no beep/reminder?
the light's default setting is to turn off automatically after 30 seconds, so there's really no need for the beep/reminder. Or you can do what n0th1ng suggested to have it off right away.

EDIT: or you can have Lexus change it for you at your first complimentary service.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/4340171-post2.html

Last edited by raptor22; 04-12-10 at 01:16 AM.
Old 04-12-10, 04:41 AM
k2sty1
Pole Position

dont the headlights turn off when u open the driver door? well mine do
Old 04-12-10, 07:27 AM
Toymota
Pole Position

3) There is a feature called Neutral-to-Drive Squat Control where it shifts into second gear before going to first gear to reduce shift shock and squat. However, if you are not pressing the brakes, it should shift directly to first gear. So (if it is safe to do so) you could try releasing the brakes as you move the selector through N, and you will move off in first gear when you hit D.
Old 04-12-10, 09:42 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 052SI
Thanks J Hao,

Because Lexus seems to think most people prefer the lights to stay on 30 seconds after the car is off. You can (1) manually turn the headlight switch to "off", (2) hit the lock button 2x on the key fob (but not the door handle) or (3) have your Lexus Personalized Settings changed to turn the headlights off when you turn off the car and open the driver's door.
Old 04-12-10, 10:24 AM
052SI
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The clunking or moving transmission does not sound normal to me. Mine does not display such characteristics and I've never heard of a gear shifter move on it's own. I'd take it back in to be checked.
The loaner we got did the same thing...it's noticable when your hand is resting on the gear selector and randomly occurs while braking (the braking does not have to be that hard) you can feel the level jump forward a bit. I did have the shop foreman check it out and his explanation which I've listed above sounded like BS to me. This is the first car we've owned that does this and I'm surprised there have not been more people noticing this.
Old 04-12-10, 10:25 AM
052SI
Pole Position

Originally Posted by blk250
Congrats!
Thank you blk250
Old 04-12-10, 10:27 AM
052SI
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kevetard
the transmission is really slow to switch into gear from neutral or park into drive/reverse..it's really really irritating..i have a 2010 and i'm thinking i should have stayed with my acura because i'm impatient and don't hold the brake long enough for the car to be in gear fully and i know it puts a lot of stress on the tranny when i do that...i've written about this on the lexus surveys they send me..and also in stop and go traffic the shift between 1st and 2nd gear is not smooth at all....and wtf is the point of manual mode when the motor doesnt upshift you "manually" shift it?
Yes, this is very annoying and I'm surprised Lexus electroninc transmissions even do this.

Quick Reply: New to Lexus, New IS250, Questions & Observations