IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lease buy out

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-10, 06:22 AM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lease buy out

So I'm buying out my lease and the dealer says they need to inspect the car first...Is this normal for Lexus or just another way for the stealer to make a buck? I've never had to do this in the past...

Last edited by Big Willy; 03-29-10 at 06:45 AM.
Old 03-29-10, 06:44 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Maybe It's just me who needs the explanation, but what does "inspect the cover" mean?

I, too, will probably buy out my lease if i dont opt to trade in for the 3rd gen IS in the next year or two whenever it comes out or a corvette haha.
Old 03-29-10, 06:45 AM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry..should say car. I've bought the last 3 leases out, and never had to do this before. Usually paperwork is handled over the phone. He said it would take about an hour and the fee would be in the range of $108...
I will let anyone dealing with Wilkie lexus in PA know my own experience...The dealer was more then helpful when I was interested in trading in my lease for a new lease...as soon as I asked about buying the car out, he stopped returning e-mails and phone calls...Let's be real, it's 2010....e-mails don't go down for weeks at a time, you get messages weather they be through voice mail or a receptionist taking a message...And I'm positive there are not to many dealers that are that busy.

Last edited by Big Willy; 03-29-10 at 06:51 AM.
Old 03-29-10, 07:37 AM
funnie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey *****. i purchased my car from an individual who was planning on buying out the lease and was required to do the "safety inspection" check up. I had to pay $125 for the inspection. They claim the inspection is to check and make sure the vehicle is safe for the buyer to buyout the lease. I hope this information helps you out.
Old 03-29-10, 07:46 AM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that is rediculous for them to charge you 125 bucks to check your car out because you want keep the car and give them more money anyway by buying the car. I HATE DEALERSHIPS.
Old 03-29-10, 07:49 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I would assume your lease agreement describes buying out the lease. What does it say?

The $125 fee is undoubtedly complete BS, but if it's in the contract then it's legally allowed BS. If it isn't then I'd tell em to take a flying leap.
Old 03-29-10, 09:55 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Big *****
Sorry..should say car. I've bought the last 3 leases out, and never had to do this before. Usually paperwork is handled over the phone. He said it would take about an hour and the fee would be in the range of $108...
I will let anyone dealing with Wilkie lexus in PA know my own experience...The dealer was more then helpful when I was interested in trading in my lease for a new lease...as soon as I asked about buying the car out, he stopped returning e-mails and phone calls...Let's be real, it's 2010....e-mails don't go down for weeks at a time, you get messages weather they be through voice mail or a receptionist taking a message...And I'm positive there are not to many dealers that are that busy.
Can't any Lexus dealer do this? Call Chester Springs--I don't think they'll treat you like that. I could barely get Wilkie to call me back when I was buying the car.

Why the F should they inspect a car you are buying out??? I'd call the GM and tell him it's BS, that you'll never buy another car there, and that you'll tell everyone you know not to buy a car there.
Old 03-29-10, 10:06 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Um... the leased is handled by Lexus Financial Services, NOT the dealer. You don't need to be talking to them.

www.lexusfinancial.com

Login (register if you haven't before) - You can see the details of your lease, and the current buyout. They also provide a number to call to speak to an agent.

If this "inspection fee" is not in your lease contract, you should not be paying it.
Old 03-29-10, 10:17 AM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra
Um... the leased is handled by Lexus Financial Services, NOT the dealer. You don't need to be talking to them.

www.lexusfinancial.com

Login (register if you haven't before) - You can see the details of your lease, and the current buyout. They also provide a number to call to speak to an agent.

If this "inspection fee" is not in your lease contract, you should not be paying it.
Agreed, you should be talking to Lexus Financial. The buyout should have nothing to do with the dealer.

Better question might be, in this market why not just turn it in and get a new one. Seems to be a good time to sit down and talk.
Old 03-29-10, 10:41 AM
dappy
Lexus Test Driver

You shouldn't incur an inspection fee from the dealership. It's unnecessary. I just bought out my lease last week via correspondence. I never set foot into the dealership. As others have mentioned, Lexus Financial Services (LFS) can be contacted to enquire if the inspection fee is unnecessary. My dealership wanted $400 for adminstration fee for the lease buyout. I contacted LFS and they said dealerships are not allowed to charge any extra fees except for OMVIC, licensing and taxes. I ended up getting the admin fee waived. The only thing I can attribute the inspection fee to is for the safety certification charge (mandatory charge in Canada for purchasing an used vehicle). I had to pay this at a local garage in addition to an emission test fee.
Old 03-29-10, 10:52 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

That sounds like crap... call LFS and let us know
Old 03-29-10, 11:03 AM
funnie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

crap, u mean i got ripped off !?!? what the heezzyyy. i hate dealerships even more now...
Old 03-29-10, 12:12 PM
vdubturbo
Driver

Related question... once you buy it out, how long until you get the title?
Old 04-01-10, 09:36 AM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EJC
Agreed, you should be talking to Lexus Financial. The buyout should have nothing to do with the dealer.

Better question might be, in this market why not just turn it in and get a new one. Seems to be a good time to sit down and talk.
I really don't want to get locked into another lease right now. I can keep this car for a few more good miles and flip it ...

Below is the dealers response when I asked what my rate would be. I asked so I could shop around for good rates. I feel very locked in and on the spot to make a decision...to either lease a new car or pay to much through them.

"I won't no what your interest rate will be till I submit the application. On lease buyouts, Lexus decides what the consumers interest will be. At that time, I will offer the monthly payments to you or you could look at leasing another vehicle. Which ever works best for you. Give me a call next week so we can set an appointment. The only day I will not be here is Wednesday."
Old 04-01-10, 10:38 AM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Infra

www.lexusfinancial.com

Thanks. I couldn't find the terms of the lease anywhere on the site, but did speak to someone about buy out. They are faxing the paperwork over now...The woman I spoke with had no clue what the dealer was talking about in regards to a safety inspection and said this could be a state by state reg... Can anyone tell me if this is truly the case?
If I were to finance the balance of the car through Lexus, I need to go to the dealer. They will not deal direct. If I am using my own finance company or bank, I can just send payment direct to LFS...
I will say this...the BMW dealer is looking better and better. Lexus made it very easy to say yes in the beginning, but the dealership made it really tough to justify going back.

Quick Reply: Lease buy out