IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Headlight corner tint

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-10, 09:57 PM
lobo_dog
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight corner tint

I've seen a couple pictures with people having the yellow corner reflector smoked. I was wondering if anyone knows how to do this?
Old 03-20-10, 10:08 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You have to open up your headlight to get to the reflector.
Then just paint it or wrap it.
Old 03-20-10, 11:17 PM
HeartmyIS
Lexus Champion

I actually just had a piece of tint film over it. You can't even tell it's tinted =)

Old 03-21-10, 11:26 AM
cupid0210
Lead Lap

you have to take apart the entire headlight assembly. it will take the entire day to do if you really want to do it. Putting the film on is the easiest part, its taking the headlight apart that is gonna be a b*tch. Here is a write up from a fellow member:

How to remove the front bumper: YouTube - How to remove the bumper from a Lexus IS250 / IS350 to install Lite-Eyes
CCFL Halos / Angel Eyes

Alright, I just heated the oven to 200F and put the headlight in, wiring and all, for 15 minutes.
Everyone freaks out about this, but you're not going to melt anything at 200F. This will barely even make the
glue holding the housing pliable enough to pry the lenses off. Trust me, I've taken 3 sets of headlights apart -
my old '97 Prelude that I did an HID retrofit on, my '94 Supra that I did an HID retrofit on, and finally these
where I just blacked out the chrome piece.

So, get a flathead screwdriver you don't really care about because you're gonna get the goop that holds the two
pieces together all over it. Do one light at a time in the oven - let sit in the oven for 15 minutes, take it out
(use oven mitts, lol). Now, down towards the inner corner is where I started prying (the pointy part of the
headlight that is near the grill.) It takes patience - don't go crazy on it jamming the screwdriver in between the
plastic and lense because you'll warp the black plastic. Just work small areas at a time. It'll take a while to
get a good 5-6" section kinda "loose", but when you do, use your kung-fu grip and start pulling the two apart.
It'll be hard, I won't lie. These lights were some of the hardest to pry apart. Once you get 'em going though,
be aware that the glue that holds them will be real stringy; just make sure it doesn't get on the chrome reflector
as you're pulling it apart. Also, as you pull the two apart, be aware that there are little clips every few inches on the
black housing. As you get to them, gently unclip them. I broke a couple on my first light because I wasn't patient.
Just take it slow. As a sidenote, my headlight made a lot of noise, creaking, etc when it was coming apart.
I thought I was breaking it, but there's nothing holding the two pieces together except the goop, so don't be
afraid if the thing makes weird noises when you're pulling it apart.

Once the two pieces are apart, I'd go ahead and put the headlight back into the oven for another 15 minutes
(the assembly, not the lense) and then take it back out, and run your screwdriver through the 'channel' that
holds the goop. You will later re-seal the headlights using black silicone RTV (often called gasket sealer) -
you can get it at AutoZone.

So now that the two pieces are apart, set the lense aside and you'll see the chrome assembly is attached to the
lense. There are 3-4 (can't recall for sure) little bitty Phillips screws that hold it on to the clear lense.
Unscrew them and it'll come free. Now don't touch it cause you don't want oils from your fingers on the chrome part.
I personally did not sand them down before I painted - I just used small, light coats of flat black. Be patient.
It'll take 5-6 coats, and space 'em out about 20 minutes. Again, just use enough paint to lightly coat, then stop.
Otherwise you'll start getting runs, bubbles, etc.

Once they're how you want them, you just basically reverse the process. Get the housing screwed back in and then
go ahead and fill the 'channels' with goop (don't be afraid to fill the thing with silicone. The more you use,
the better seal you'll get). I then used woodworking clamps to actually hold the lense to the housing. You can get
them at Lowe's or any Sears. I put about 3 on each light and let them sit for a full day. That silicone will need
a long time to cure. I don't have any condensation issues and I think they're sealed better than stock.
Old 03-21-10, 11:36 AM
L-S-D
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow^ hahaha

long story short

you gotta take your head light apart take the piece of amber out and spray it then reassemble

IF you wanna do it the right way, rather then jus putting film on the outside of ur headlight, but that will work too

this will take about 6-8 hours
Old 03-21-10, 11:47 AM
cupid0210
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobo_dog
I've seen a couple pictures with people having the yellow corner reflector smoked. I was wondering if anyone knows how to do this?
^^lol, I know that was a long story, but he DID ask HOW to do it. :-)
Old 04-21-10, 04:21 PM
aliu603
Lexus Champion

lol tommy at musicbox did it in 3
Old 04-21-10, 11:49 PM
Secksee
Lead Lap

it does not take 6-8 hours... dont scare the poor guy.
Old 04-22-10, 12:56 AM
uz07lex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by heartmyis
I actually just had a piece of tint film over it. You can't even tell it's tinted =)

I did the same thing. Its really easy because the light has no curves on it. Just clean cut and stick.
Old 04-22-10, 01:59 AM
ernestfyu
Lead Lap

but if you bake, you could also paint =). painted housings look good.
Old 04-22-10, 06:04 AM
Chekmi21
Lead Lap

It would be very nice if there was a clear plastic piece you could put in replacement of the orange and put a hyper white bulb in there. My G Coupe had a similar side light but it was clear and with a hyper white LED in there, it looked great.

I've pulled apart headlights before on several cars. Like he said above, its all patience. Its really not that difficult but people do freak out about baking headlights and pulling them apart. When not resealed properly, which I would say for newbie's is most of the time, it happened to me on my first two, you'll probably get some condensation and will have to reseal.
Old 04-26-11, 09:50 AM
DreamerzCC
Pole Position

I tinted mine until this weekend when i crack my headlights open......
Old 04-26-11, 12:33 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

when you take your headlights apart make sure do not use any thing to pry them off, because when you do that you will make the housing or the len bend or chip, so when you put them together it would have some gap that why it has moisture in it? I did the retrofit RX 330 projector in my brother 08 camry, the way I took the lens apart is leave the headlight in the oven for 20 mins with the temp at 210 and took it out use my bare hand to pull them apart when it loose a little put it back in the oven for another 5 mins and pull them apart, so do it that way the housing not bend or chips when later you put them together they are seal tight with no gap that how I opened my headlights so now no one can even tell that light have been open
Old 04-26-11, 12:39 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Tinted film on mine.
Attached Thumbnails Headlight corner tint-grille-shot.jpg  
Old 04-26-11, 01:43 PM
100degrees
Pole Position

I like the tinted film look. Did you guys buy it pre-cut or just buy any tint and cut it yourself?

Quick Reply: Headlight corner tint