IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Will those wheels fit? START HERE.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-13, 10:03 AM
RVCAis250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Local guy is selling these concept one cs10's... love the wheels, but not so sure on if they would fit my 2IS.

Specs are:
Front - 20x9.5+25
Rear - 20x10.5+27

I'm currently lowered about 1.75" on Megan EZ's and have no fender mods, but am willing to do a fender roll and maybe a slight pull.

Any advice on fitment and suggested tire specs would be appreciated.

Thanks
Does it come with tires or are you putting your own on them? Cause that will change the amount of modifications you need to do. But regardless, it will need some work.

I had Concept Ones and my specs were
20x9 +36
20x10 +30

.. and those specs were pretty flush with my fender. I rubbed in the back on freeway dips occasional and the front plastic liner. Neither of them were anything to worry about but it was still nonetheless a good setup and very close to flush as far as specs go. So these ones will be half an inch wider at each corner and the offsets in the front and back are 11mm and 3mm more aggressive, respectively. With your drop though you can make it work but you will have a slightly poke look. You'll need a roll in the front and rear and a minor "natural" pull in the rear. You will also need to relocate your fender-bumper tabs at all four corners as well.

Edit: saw that you asked for tire specs advice too.

If you want to stretch the tires (and in turn have less rubbing issues) then go with 225/30/20 and 255/30/20.

You can go wider on the tires but that'll make you have more work to do with the fender with each incremental size you go wider for the tires.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-07-13, 01:13 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by RVCAis250
Does it come with tires or are you putting your own on them? Cause that will change the amount of modifications you need to do. But regardless, it will need some work.

I had Concept Ones and my specs were
20x9 +36
20x10 +30

.. and those specs were pretty flush with my fender. I rubbed in the back on freeway dips occasional and the front plastic liner. Neither of them were anything to worry about but it was still nonetheless a good setup and very close to flush as far as specs go. So these ones will be half an inch wider at each corner and the offsets in the front and back are 11mm and 3mm more aggressive, respectively. With your drop though you can make it work but you will have a slightly poke look. You'll need a roll in the front and rear and a minor "natural" pull in the rear. You will also need to relocate your fender-bumper tabs at all four corners as well.

Edit: saw that you asked for tire specs advice too.

If you want to stretch the tires (and in turn have less rubbing issues) then go with 225/30/20 and 255/30/20.

You can go wider on the tires but that'll make you have more work to do with the fender with each incremental size you go wider for the tires.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the very detailed answer! Looks like he already has a buyer lined up, but he is willing to let me test fit the rims for future reference as to how these specs would play out on my car. I think they are a bit too aggressive for the look I am going for. I loved the flushness of your setup with the concept ones, I'm not really looking to poke. These were just a great price and a good looking wheel so I figured I would ask.

Thanks again!
Old 11-07-13, 07:10 PM
RVCAis250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by killnN00bs
HELP!!!!

is this stretched a lot? how much will this affect my ride and also! i am not lowered at all right now but i might do F Sport springs on my 08 is250.

will i need fender mods also?

19x8.5 +30
19x10 +38 ON

Triangles 215/35/19
N3000 Nexon 235/35/19 ----also are these tires ****tty?

please respond ASAP!

thanks
It's sort of an awkward stretch setup, I don't understand what the previous owner was doing
The fronts are barely stretched but the rears are much more stretched. It's not too much, it's still drivable but it depends whether or not you can put up with it.

Ride quality will decrease a little but yes the tires are crap. So that's where you will really see the drop in quality, sound, and smoothness of the drive.

As far as specs go, you won't need fender mods
Old 11-08-13, 02:08 PM
Feb30th
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at winter tires for my IS 350 stock rims (18 x 8 front / 18 x 8.5 rear), looking to keep the OEM tire spec for the front tires at 225/40/18, will the rear tires at 245/40/18 fit (instead of 255/40/18 OEM)?

Basically the tires I'm looking at is available at 245/40/18 but not 255/40/18...
Old 11-08-13, 07:08 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Velocity Motoring has the 19x9.5 wheels listed as a 5x120 bolt pattern only:
http://www.velocitymotoring.com/wheels_vb3.html

the 2is uses a 5x114.3 pattern.

as such, these wheels that you're looking at won't even bolt on to your 2is without 5x120 adapters. also, so addressing any other questions about fitment is irrelevant beyond this point.

take my opinion for what it's worth, but I think you should hold off on buying wheels until the "right" set comes along. take your wheels/tires money and invest in a set of $1k coilovers (or less if you pick them up used from the 2is classified section) since you won't be satisfied with the lowered ride height of your f-sport springs.

that, and quality wheels will cost a lot more than $1500, and most of the time, you'll actually want half-decent tires than your nexen-ling long-nankang crap.

people will tell you "it's your money; spend it however which way you want," but at least be smart AND selective about it.
Old 11-08-13, 08:02 PM
mike33
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Should work on the rear but maybe to big for the front. The tire is taller and wider than the stock front size. Is this a local purchase? If so test fit and you will know for sure, but I dont think the front is going to work especially if you plan to lower in the future.
Old 11-08-13, 08:27 PM
suicidesam
Lexus Test Driver

just do it
Old 11-08-13, 09:08 PM
mIS
Rookie

Roll and pull them fenders...
Old 11-09-13, 12:35 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by killnN00bs
Lol...I like making sure I'm doing things right
problem is, you're doing things "right"... or I should say, not going about this in a smart, logical way.

the tires are too tall for the 2is, which means you'll end up throwing the speedometer/odometer off, not to mention potential clearance issues when you do get f-sport springs (btw, you won't be satisfied with f-sport spring lowering; trust me). only way to correct that is to replace the current tires with another set of tires that are of the right size, which means more money out of your pockets.

secondly, the fact that these have been re-drilled for 5x114.3 would make me stay away from them. sure, re-drilling wheels to fit a different bolt pattern is popular in the stance community, but would you really feel 100% confident with the fact that these wheels have been re-drilled? and which shop did the re-drilling? either you've haven't asked those questions, or you've glossed over them because you're in such a rush to get wheels.

I can't stress this enough, but be patient and wait for the right set of wheels to come along, instead of buying a set of wheels that might not be your first (or second or even third) choice but you bought them just because you wanted wheels. there's no worse mistake than to spend money only to realize you should've spent the money on something else.
Old 11-09-13, 10:31 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm going to help you, NO don't buy them. Those tires won't do well up front and I wouldn't mess with modified redrilled bolt pattern on wheels. Find a set if wheels you really want and save up for those. Don't just be impulsive and buy something cause they're cheap or close to you.
Old 11-09-13, 02:18 PM
infate
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Re-drilled wheels are fine IF it's done by a very reputable wheel shop, ie. Memory Fab in the for Bay Area. My wheels were re-drilled by them and I go through San Francisco potholes/cracks/bumps everyday on the way to work and my wheels hold up fine.

Also, the fitment of the car might not look how you want it to be, because a square setup would look silly, especially if it's on F-Sport springs.
Old 11-09-13, 02:22 PM
RVCAis250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sffd103
I'm going to help you, NO don't buy them. Those tires won't do well up front and I wouldn't mess with modified redrilled bolt pattern on wheels. Find a set if wheels you really want and save up for those. Don't just be impulsive and buy something cause they're cheap or close to you.
I agree with this
Old 11-10-13, 11:23 AM
SeanO
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Have a few questions.. This year i bought rims for my 08 Lexus is250 AWD. I wanted to stay close to OEM specs.

Ended up getting 19*8.5's with Toyo Proxes 4 plus 255/35/ R19's all the way around.

The tire shop i went to had the rims i got in stock which saved me ordering a new set in (avoid the wait and all).

What the guy didn't tell me was that these rims are a half inch wider then my stocks (8.5 rather then 8).

So when i got my rims and seen that the tires were 255's i was kinda pissed off. It wasn't what i asked for but i figured i'd deal with it as the car seemed to drive just fine. After driving it for a while i realized it definitely drove differently. When reversing to the left there is a rub coming from the front left. (nothing serious) however definitely noticeable. When turning the wider front tires are definitely noticed in the steering column (kind of like the tires walk a little bit during turning - anyone who has this kind of set up will know what i'm talking about) I currently have my stocks on as my winters and this feeling has since gone away with the not so wide tires.

Here is my dilemna.. In the spring i want to get some BC racing coilovers to lower my car about an inch (somehwere in the 25 3/4 -26 ground to fender height area)

Being that there is already a small rub in the front left when reversing.. and having this "walking" feeling on turns with the wider front tires.. Will a 1 inch drop or so make that feeling even worse?!

I didn't think that 30mm (verses a 225 stock tire) would make a huge difference in the turning. This really pisses me off knowing that the guy didn't tell me the rims were a half inch wider meaning he ordered the 255's to fit them without saying shi*t all to me.

Need some help here. Will a 1 inch drop on coils with an alignment be alright with that set-up?! obviously that rub will get worse - will it make it a lot harder on the steering controls being an inch lower with the wider tires already labouring during turns?!

Being that the rims i have are 8.5's could i just switch the tire to a slimmer size?! I don't like that way my car turns with the 255's on the front. I don't want to run staggered so i would switch all 4 to the same size. Could i stretch a slimmer tire to the 8.5" rim?!

I really don't know what to do here. I don't mind spending money to have my car drive the way its supposed to. Again in the spring i want to get coilovers and drop it an inch (don't wanna go to low with the awd). I just don't know whether to say puck it and sell everything rims and tires and all (in which case i would almost certainly lose money) or have the tires changed --- or do i just buy new rims and tires and keep my tpms..

opinions and advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11-10-13, 12:22 PM
RVCAis250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SeanO
Have a few questions.. This year i bought rims for my 08 Lexus is250 AWD. I wanted to stay close to OEM specs.

Ended up getting 19*8.5's with Toyo Proxes 4 plus 255/35/ R19's all the way around.

The tire shop i went to had the rims i got in stock which saved me ordering a new set in (avoid the wait and all).

What the guy didn't tell me was that these rims are a half inch wider then my stocks (8.5 rather then 8).

So when i got my rims and seen that the tires were 255's i was kinda pissed off. It wasn't what i asked for but i figured i'd deal with it as the car seemed to drive just fine. After driving it for a while i realized it definitely drove differently. When reversing to the left there is a rub coming from the front left. (nothing serious) however definitely noticeable. When turning the wider front tires are definitely noticed in the steering column (kind of like the tires walk a little bit during turning - anyone who has this kind of set up will know what i'm talking about) I currently have my stocks on as my winters and this feeling has since gone away with the not so wide tires.

Here is my dilemna.. In the spring i want to get some BC racing coilovers to lower my car about an inch (somehwere in the 25 3/4 -26 ground to fender height area)

Being that there is already a small rub in the front left when reversing.. and having this "walking" feeling on turns with the wider front tires.. Will a 1 inch drop or so make that feeling even worse?!

I didn't think that 30mm (verses a 225 stock tire) would make a huge difference in the turning. This really pisses me off knowing that the guy didn't tell me the rims were a half inch wider meaning he ordered the 255's to fit them without saying shi*t all to me.

Need some help here. Will a 1 inch drop on coils with an alignment be alright with that set-up?! obviously that rub will get worse - will it make it a lot harder on the steering controls being an inch lower with the wider tires already labouring during turns?!

Being that the rims i have are 8.5's could i just switch the tire to a slimmer size?! I don't like that way my car turns with the 255's on the front. I don't want to run staggered so i would switch all 4 to the same size. Could i stretch a slimmer tire to the 8.5" rim?!

I really don't know what to do here. I don't mind spending money to have my car drive the way its supposed to. Again in the spring i want to get coilovers and drop it an inch (don't wanna go to low with the awd). I just don't know whether to say puck it and sell everything rims and tires and all (in which case i would almost certainly lose money) or have the tires changed --- or do i just buy new rims and tires and keep my tpms..

opinions and advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
I would jointly post this question in the awd wheel thread located here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...rt-uno-21.html

You can definitely put a narrower tire on an 8.5 but I don't know what the effects to an awd system will be in doing so. Also, what are the offsets?
Old 11-10-13, 12:42 PM
SeanO
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

couldn't tell you the exact numbers.. i haven't added spacers in or anything like that..

Quick Reply: Will those wheels fit? START HERE.