IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

ISx vs C-Class Interior Legroom Comparison?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-10, 10:11 AM
AKFORTY7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool ISx vs C-Class Interior Legroom Comparison?

On alot of reviews for the IS people complain about the backseat beeing cramped. I actually posted a topic about this here before. But anyways today I was doing a comparison with the C-Class which alot of people praise for beeing roomy for a compact luxury sedan class, but it only looks like the total legroom difference is 0.6 inch.

http://www.cars.com/go/compare/trimC...1A0&compType=D

so are reviewers out there just biased or what? since the ISx has more front legroom upfront, cant you compensate for the backseat legroom by adjusting the front seat or does the back still suck even after adjusting the front?

or maybe people buy compacts then biotch about legroom because they expect a compact to have same legroom as a full or mid-sized? or are americans just too fat? lol i kid i kid

Last edited by AKFORTY7; 03-02-10 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-02-10, 11:40 AM
Lawr
Driver School Candidate

I've got an IS and my gf has a C300, the IS does have the feeling of being smaller in the backseat. I wouldn't call the C class roomy though, my 530i was what I would call the bare minimum of "roomy" for the back seat. I would just rack it up as both cars are ok if you don't have to have passengers all the time. Otherwise if you have a family, it would be ok as long as the kids are babies or very young still...
Old 03-02-10, 11:57 AM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There was a good diagram charts about legroom/headroom comparison for IS, A4, 3-series and C-class. But I read it here long long time ago.
Old 03-02-10, 11:58 AM
Phil888
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Their all the same to me. it depends on how the two seats are seated when ppl are sitting the rears. Right now, i only allow one person to sit in the back lolz.. but yeah seems like alot of ppl are biased when comparing Lexus to mercedes and BMW. Love it or Hate it!
Old 03-02-10, 01:26 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

the 0.6 inches is miniscule considering the overall configuration of the cars. theres more front seat room for the IS i think, whereas the C class felt it had more rear room (which made the front a bit cramped). some people recline further back than others, while others in the rear may not be very big- thus not needing too much rear leg room. it depends on who's in the car. both my parents sit in the back of my IS, and they're fine with it. with guys in the backseat, they tend to complain more because their knees are rubbing against the back of the front seat much of the time. but theres no rubbing. my dad even says its large enough for him (6'0", ~200 lbs).

on a completely off note, my sister's corolla s has an absurdly amount of rear leg space, even when both front seats are reclined at a good incline. i thought this was odd considering the car itself isnt even that big. haha
Old 03-02-10, 01:34 PM
LexFather

Many times seeing the difference in dimension size does not paint the picture. In some cars that should be smaller I fit better in.

You have to look at the IS design to see why the rear is so cramped. The IS really tapers to the rear and the C-pillar is inset compared to where the doors/body is, offering a smaller shoulder area for the rear.

It makes for a beautiful looking sedan though.
Old 03-02-10, 02:10 PM
AKFORTY7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
on a completely off note, my sister's corolla s has an absurdly amount of rear leg space, even when both front seats are reclined at a good incline. i thought this was odd considering the car itself isnt even that big. haha
very true, it sucks how many smaller/cheaper cars still beat out the ISx on rear legroom; some examples:

Kia Rio
Suzuku SX4
Toyota Yaris
Hyundai Elantra

http://www.cars.com/go/compare/trimC...,USB80HYC021A0

lol

i wonder how much this issue has impacted sales. i guess i have to go in to the delearship and try out the seats myself. im 6' most of my friends are about 6' but they are legroom-whoores. one of my friends would rather get a camry than an ISx