IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-14, 09:33 PM
is250916
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I just picked up a IS250 and it has the CEL blinking and Check VSC message. Code is P0301 for misfire in cylinder 1.

How can this be resolved? I need to fix this to pass smog. Thanks for your help.
Old 04-03-14, 09:59 PM
Serifiyah
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by is250916
I just picked up a IS250 and it has the CEL blinking and Check VSC message. Code is P0301 for misfire in cylinder 1.

How can this be resolved? I need to fix this to pass smog. Thanks for your help.
Take it into Lexus
Old 04-03-14, 10:06 PM
is250916
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Serifiyah
Take it into Lexus
Will I able to get service if I have a salvaged titled vehicle? I read an earlier post on maybe not? Hopefully that was hear say.
Old 04-04-14, 12:23 PM
tomiv9
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by is250916
Will I able to get service if I have a salvaged titled vehicle? I read an earlier post on maybe not? Hopefully that was hear say.
I would guess the salvage voids warranty but you should def call the dealer to find out. If they won't do the TSB look into getting a top engine clean to remove the carbon, and then maybe install a catch can to prevent buildup in the future
Old 04-07-14, 07:05 PM
Valkyrie00
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had minor hesitation issues but never got a letter from Lexus for our 08 IS250. After finding this forum, reading about carbon build up and the CSP bulletin, we took it to Lexus dealer in Plano TX last Saturday. They called today, said it failed the diagnosis test & will do the piston swap/overhaul. Yea, we have a 2013 loaner (my wife already is saying trade in the 08) This is by far the nicest car we have ever owned and the most I have ever paid cash for one. Bought it last August with 50k - it now has 62k - glad the warranty is good for a total 9 years, but really bummed about a luxo-sport car having these kind of issues. I've put 160k+ on Hondas, 200k on Chevy trucks, Dodges, Mustangs, etc. Should have done my homework better I guess. I am a maintenance fanatic (aircraft mech) so keep all our vehicles up to par. Just hope the Lexus technician knows what he's doing and the problem never comes back. Will keep you posted when we get it back.
Old 04-08-14, 06:39 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Valkyrie00
We had minor hesitation issues but never got a letter from Lexus for our 08 IS250. After finding this forum, reading about carbon build up and the CSP bulletin, we took it to Lexus dealer in Plano TX last Saturday. They called today, said it failed the diagnosis test & will do the piston swap/overhaul. Yea, we have a 2013 loaner (my wife already is saying trade in the 08) This is by far the nicest car we have ever owned and the most I have ever paid cash for one. Bought it last August with 50k - it now has 62k - glad the warranty is good for a total 9 years, but really bummed about a luxo-sport car having these kind of issues. I've put 160k+ on Hondas, 200k on Chevy trucks, Dodges, Mustangs, etc. Should have done my homework better I guess. I am a maintenance fanatic (aircraft mech) so keep all our vehicles up to par. Just hope the Lexus technician knows what he's doing and the problem never comes back. Will keep you posted when we get it back.
The problem will come back because of the direct injection fuel system the engine uses. It's a common problem on many engines that use direct injection, like some of the Audi and BMW engines. BMW actually recommends a carbon cleaning every 45k miles in their maintenance schedule for this specific reason. Personally, I have yet to experience anything serious besides a small idle stutter after driving for a while on a really hot day, and I have almost 53k miles (85k kms) on my IS250.

For future prevention, I would look into adding a carbon clean into your maintenance schedule. A lot of people use Seafoam to clean the intake valves. I'd probably do a carbon clean once every 30k miles just to be safe. Again, I have yet to do the cleaning, but once it warms up, I'll do the carbon clean with Seafoam and see if it makes a difference.
Old 04-08-14, 07:40 AM
tboo72
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sm1ke
The problem will come back because of the direct injection fuel system the engine uses. It's a common problem on many engines that use direct injection, like some of the Audi and BMW engines. BMW actually recommends a carbon cleaning every 45k miles in their maintenance schedule for this specific reason. Personally, I have yet to experience anything serious besides a small idle stutter after driving for a while on a really hot day, and I have almost 53k miles (85k kms) on my IS250.

For future prevention, I would look into adding a carbon clean into your maintenance schedule. A lot of people use Seafoam to clean the intake valves. I'd probably do a carbon clean once every 30k miles just to be safe. Again, I have yet to do the cleaning, but once it warms up, I'll do the carbon clean with Seafoam and see if it makes a difference.
This. My previous cars was an RS4 and an A6. Both had carbon build-up problems. Its the nature of current DI engines. Hopefully, in the future, this can be remedied.
Old 04-08-14, 09:28 AM
autox250
Driver

Originally Posted by jetboy
I don't know how that's possible. The intake valves sit together in the same head cavity and neither intake valve has a lifter disconnect like the Honda system. I don't recall any butterfly valve that would obstruct intake air flow over one intake valve on each cylinder. Can you explain?

It should flow over every intake valve. The intake valves are the only ones we care about. The exhaust valves aren't the problem. Fuel *with detergent* flowing over them is the easy cure. It doesn't matter where in the intake the fuel is delivered. If it did, carbureted engines would have all sorts of problems. They don't.

This also helps explain why the issue is limited to very few instances in cold weather areas.
The lower intake manifold is aluminum, it has a butterfly system to restrict flow to one of the two intake valves bc increased air speed thru one port improves cylinder filling at lower revs.
the actual spray on port injector is directed to the top of the valve, a mist of fuel travelling thru the runner doesnt have anywhere near the effectiveness.
you are wrong about misfires being isolated to cold areas, this is all weather nationwide. They misfire just as bad when its hot out they come in all year round.
Old 04-08-14, 09:42 AM
autox250
Driver

@ tomiv9 its not only that the PCV flows more than it should, it's that the piston rings had lower tension to decrease drag and improve mpg.
the new set you get has rings with more tension and redesigned pistons.

@dmk720 if a misfire persists, the ECU will turn off that cylinder injector until the next time you cycle the key. thats why ppl complain that the car started to run like crap until they restarted and it ran fine after. raw fuel will light a cat up cherry red

@is250916 try to go to the dealer, if there's no note of your car being salvaged on the national history database you'll be OK.
Old 04-09-14, 05:05 PM
dmk720
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by autox250
@ tomiv9 its not only that the PCV flows more than it should, it's that the piston rings had lower tension to decrease drag and improve mpg.
the new set you get has rings with more tension and redesigned pistons.

@dmk720 if a misfire persists, the ECU will turn off that cylinder injector until the next time you cycle the key. thats why ppl complain that the car started to run like crap until they restarted and it ran fine after. raw fuel will light a cat up cherry red

@is250916 try to go to the dealer, if there's no note of your car being salvaged on the national history database you'll be OK.
Half a second misfire.misfire. That is what I occasionally have. Can it be harmful,cherry red harmful.I do not think so.Do you?
Old 04-10-14, 06:20 AM
zen
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I did the recall when the car was around 38k miles, now it's 95k miles. The check engine showed P0306, cylinder 6 misfire after I changed the spark plugs on the car. At first I thought maybe the coil or the plugs are causing the misfire, but after I drove the car with check engine light on about 10 miles, the light was off by itself. I took the car to the dealer to double check, they told me it's the carb build up, and since the recall has already performed, they can just do a top engine clean. The recall doesn't solve the carb build up issue, it's only to slow it down.
Old 04-10-14, 07:05 AM
tomiv9
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zen
I did the recall when the car was around 38k miles, now it's 95k miles. The check engine showed P0306, cylinder 6 misfire after I changed the spark plugs on the car. At first I thought maybe the coil or the plugs are causing the misfire, but after I drove the car with check engine light on about 10 miles, the light was off by itself. I took the car to the dealer to double check, they told me it's the carb build up, and since the recall has already performed, they can just do a top engine clean. The recall doesn't solve the carb build up issue, it's only to slow it down.
True, the recall just slows it down. So looks like we will need a cleaning every 60K miles or so. I would of thought that was the scenario before the recall. Seems like the recall didnt even do much. What do they charge for the cleaning? The other option, is to do a catch can, (after the cleaning of course) to prevent the need for cleaning in the future. Here's a thread about it: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...xperiment.html
Old 04-10-14, 12:58 PM
zen
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tomiv9
True, the recall just slows it down. So looks like we will need a cleaning every 60K miles or so. I would of thought that was the scenario before the recall. Seems like the recall didnt even do much. What do they charge for the cleaning? The other option, is to do a catch can, (after the cleaning of course) to prevent the need for cleaning in the future. Here's a thread about it: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...xperiment.html
The top engine clean done at the Lexus dealer should be free, at least it was free for me. I think it's warrantied for 9 yrs with unlimited mileage. The check engine light went off by itself therefore I think my case is not that severe after almost 60k miles since the recall performed. I think it should last 60k + miles before it needs a engine clean, but it's depends on the driving condition.
Old 04-11-14, 07:27 PM
Valkyrie00
Driver School Candidate

Well, I just got our 08 IS250 back from Park Place Lexus in Plano (Dallas) Tx, after the carbon buildup recall. They did new pistons, rings, and cleaned cylinders, valves, and runners. Could not verify if the heads were machined or cylinder walls honed , but they did remove the engine for this procedure. Paid $300 for a water pump R&R at my request; this was not covered under the service bulletin. Overall, I am not really sure it runs any better; no hesitation, but not any increase in power either. Our loaner was a '13 model with newer design engine and it ran much quicker than my "new" engine. The service manager says that mine should only need injectors cleaned every 15k !! Not sure if we'll keep it that long. Might go back to a Honda/Acura if this car needs more over-the-top maintenance, I do realize a direct injection engine is more performance oriented, but c'mon, these 250's are pretty low in the HP range. Lexus should ship new crate engines from Japan to install in all our cars. Let's hope the engine tech put it back together right.
Old 04-12-14, 04:37 PM
dmk720
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Valkyrie00
Well, I just got our 08 IS250 back from Park Place Lexus in Plano (Dallas) Tx, after the carbon buildup recall. They did new pistons, rings, and cleaned cylinders, valves, and runners. Could not verify if the heads were machined or cylinder walls honed , but they did remove the engine for this procedure. Paid $300 for a water pump R&R at my request; this was not covered under the service bulletin. Overall, I am not really sure it runs any better; no hesitation, but not any increase in power either. Our loaner was a '13 model with newer design engine and it ran much quicker than my "new" engine. The service manager says that mine should only need injectors cleaned every 15k !! Not sure if we'll keep it that long. Might go back to a Honda/Acura if this car needs more over-the-top maintenance, I do realize a direct injection engine is more performance oriented, but c'mon, these 250's are pretty low in the HP range. Lexus should ship new crate engines from Japan to install in all our cars. Let's hope the engine tech put it back together right.
"need injectors cleaned" How and how much?

Quick Reply: Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)