IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-10, 06:52 AM
RA030724
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I notice no one mentions the official Toyota EFI Cleaner. Used to come in a can, now in a funnel neck bottle. Part # 08813-00080. Thoughts? I've used it over the years on both my Lexus and Toyotas.
Old 05-25-10, 07:39 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TWong1200
All that gunk and blow-by in the crankcase makes its way back into the intake track. Using a catch can can soak up the oil and only allow air back into the motor.
That's exactly what external EGR is... blow-by gases in the crankcase being recirculated to burn off the hydrocarbon saturated gases that can't just be vented due to emissions standards.

It's the EGR that causes the carbon buildup... it's the lack of any catch can to "catch" the oil adsorbed in the gas, not a PCV (you're referring to a valve, right?).

I just can't imagine this being any sort of an issue on the 2GR-FSE. At low engine speeds, which is where carbon buildup typically occurs, the port injectors are very active. At WOT, where the combustion temperatures are typically too hot to allow carbon to form, as well as the difference in metal & carbon thermal expansion rates, would prevent carbon buildup.

Additionally, any sort of injector cleaner should solve whatever buildup you might have.
Old 05-26-10, 08:54 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra
That's exactly what external EGR is... blow-by gases in the crankcase being recirculated to burn off the hydrocarbon saturated gases that can't just be vented due to emissions standards.

It's the EGR that causes the carbon buildup... it's the lack of any catch can to "catch" the oil adsorbed in the gas, not a PCV (you're referring to a valve, right?).

I just can't imagine this being any sort of an issue on the 2GR-FSE. At low engine speeds, which is where carbon buildup typically occurs, the port injectors are very active. At WOT, where the combustion temperatures are typically too hot to allow carbon to form, as well as the difference in metal & carbon thermal expansion rates, would prevent carbon buildup.

Additionally, any sort of injector cleaner should solve whatever buildup you might have.
He's not talking about the valve, but the whole PCV system (Positive Crankcase Ventilation). What he's trying to prevent, by catching, is the oil vapor from the crankcase from re-entering the combustion chamber in the first place as it's MOSTLY this oil from the crankcase that gets caked on to, from what I gather, the tops of the intake valves causing them to be improperly weighted, restricting the travel, and sticky or improperly seated due to buildup gunk around the valve seats.

I'm trying to get my dealer to take in my GS for this issue, which our new TSB states requires a top engine clean which calls for a soak in the GM Top Engine Clean solvent and also newly designed valve springs. I am not sure what I can do to prevent the issue from reoccurring out of warranty, though, short of driving the hell out of the car once in a while and sprinking some pixie dust in the form of Gumout Regane every oil change (though in these engines, the additive will never see the intake valves).

I'll be keeping an eye on his catch can solution to see if it's easy and inexpensive enough to install.
Old 05-26-10, 10:56 AM
intrinsic
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm... i just passed 60k on my car and i wonder if they will change the spark plugs for me as well since they are taking most of the ignition assembly out of the engine.
Old 05-29-10, 04:22 PM
shadowIS25
Driver School Candidate

Cool Question: Rough Idling '08 IS250

So recently I've been experiencing some rough idling when starting my car & a few times when sitting at a stop light. I'm trying to figure out what it might BEFORE I take it to lexus & spend at least $130 on a diagnostic.

Anyone have any suggestions on what it might be or what I can try?
Old 05-29-10, 04:38 PM
whitecel
Pole Position

Carbon build up? I have it every now and then at a traffic light. My idle will drop below 500 rpms for a second and then go back up.

Link below...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...alerships.html
Old 05-29-10, 07:23 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

First of all, they SHOULD NOT or should I say WILL NOT charge you a diagnostic fee, especially if you are under warranty!...and since your car is an 08' there is absolutely no way its out of warranty!

Second, if they do charge you a diagnostic fee, just call Lexus Customer Satisfaction while your there and see how fast things change...its like MAGIC!

Third, this problem your experiencing is a known issue, and there is a solution. The problem is related to carbon buildup in the valve body (see my work order below). I have an 07' IS350 and from what the dealer told me, its a issue with how the IS250/IS350 direct injection system is designed. It has a tendency to created excessive carbon buildup due to something about recirculating exhaust or something...i dunno. Be careful where you service your car, some dealers have no idea about this carbon buildup issue and will give you B.S. I believe Lexus is working on a possible TSB campaign, but not for sure. I hope they do, because this looks very bad for their image and reputation for reliability.

My car did the same thing as yours...after the fix, it was like new...not an ounce of noticeable idle...HOW A LEXUS SHOULD BE!!! Have them perform the valve body cleaning, DEMAND IT if you have to, it will solve the problem.

Good luck, and I hope my work order below helps...

btw, my car only had less than 25k miles when this happened.

Old 05-31-10, 09:10 PM
shadowIS25
Driver School Candidate

Cool rough idle doc

I found this on one of the other posts in case you need it in the future (hopefully not!). hopefully i wont have to go thru the trouble of calling Lexus customer svc, but i really appreciate the information!! i'm glad to see i'm not the only one & it's not a major major issue... eventhough i'm surprised buying an expensive car like this that it would have these issues so early on.
Attached Files
Old 06-04-10, 10:31 AM
Cali326
Driver School Candidate

If im only under the power train warranty will i still be able to build a case with Lexus Customer Satisfaction about the diagnostic fee?

Im taking my car in today, i noticed this starting to happen 2 weeks ago. I thought nothing of it i just thought i might need gas cuz i was running low. Two days ago i was at the stop light and the car started that vibrating about to stall out feeling, so i rev'd the engine and it went away (little more worried now). Then on my way to work this morning i was about to hop on the 405 and its started with the vibrating stall feeling.

So far Lexus dealer has been good to me, i really dont have the money to pay for a diagnostic fee so will see what happens..
Old 06-04-10, 11:59 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Cali326
If im only under the power train warranty will i still be able to build a case with Lexus Customer Satisfaction about the diagnostic fee?

Im taking my car in today, i noticed this starting to happen 2 weeks ago. I thought nothing of it i just thought i might need gas cuz i was running low. Two days ago i was at the stop light and the car started that vibrating about to stall out feeling, so i rev'd the engine and it went away (little more worried now). Then on my way to work this morning i was about to hop on the 405 and its started with the vibrating stall feeling.

So far Lexus dealer has been good to me, i really dont have the money to pay for a diagnostic fee so will see what happens..

If you are still under powertrain warranty why would you need to pay a diagnostic fee for an engine problem?
Old 06-04-10, 12:32 PM
Cali326
Driver School Candidate

Oh is that how that works? My mistake, i figured i would cuz the first poster stated something along those lines, even better for me..

Thanks Kurtz!
Old 06-04-10, 03:02 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Toyota/Lexus have really been struggling lately with their quality, and alot has to do with the "lets build, build, build..." mentality. This way of thinking is outside Toyota/Lexus norm, it was never a formula for success, as we all see with domestic cars. What Lexus needs to do, or at least to have me as a return buyer, is build higher quality cars then what they have now by really testing them out in the real world. Obviously the car will perform flawlessly around a smooth track outside the factory during break-in, but what about other factors? I will wait and see what the next IS looks and performs like...if it doesn't have at least 350HP, purr like a kitten, and last a year without problems, then Lexus will be dead to me. Just my two cents...
Old 06-09-10, 05:24 AM
is250gurl
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

well the gremlins are back already!!! my car acted like it was about to stall again yesterday and once last week. you have got to be kidding me! it's on its way back to lexus soon. i am not a happy camper!
Old 06-09-10, 02:47 PM
kevetard
Rookie

i have the same symptoms with my 2010 IS250 with the drop in rpms...but it only has >4k miles on it...possibly something else?
Old 06-09-10, 03:46 PM
ajfinoak
Driver

Originally Posted by kevetard
i have the same symptoms with my 2010 IS250 with the drop in rpms...but it only has >4k miles on it...possibly something else?
It would be helpful if you (and others affected by this issue) would post what the dealers' are telling them and doing so we can share info on if a fix is found or at least keep pressure on Lexus corporate to come up with a fix. It does not appear that the top engine cleaning process remains effective. I now have 20K but have had the problem since early on. At first it was intermittent and now is constant.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)