IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-14, 07:08 PM
Valkyrie00
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey dmk720, they said $175 to clean injectors at the dealer !! They didn't give me a method. Although Lexus treated me right with this rebuild, I will try all other options b4 going back. It has a 12 month/ 12k miles warranty on the rebuild and 3 more years/ unlimited miles on the carbon build-up issue. The new pistons and rings are supposed to remedy the carbon problem. So I might try using Seafoam, or maybe the local Toyota dealer. I have put about 150 miles on it this w/e and it seems to run smoother; made a few WOT attempts on the freeway. The Lexus tech said there was not a break in period, but I still am a little bummed that this car needed such a major repair at 65k.
Old 04-14-14, 02:15 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tboo72
This. My previous cars was an RS4 and an A6. Both had carbon build-up problems. Its the nature of current DI engines. Hopefully, in the future, this can be remedied.
The future is now.. lol.

The IS350 doesn't have this problem and it's direct injected. In fact when you browse other car forums regarding DI carbon build up, the 2GR-FSE in the IS350 is very often brought up in topic. Toyota was way ahead of the times.

Toyota's ingenious design with the twin port and direct injection solves this problem. Why they didn't give IS250's motor the same injection method puzzles me, maybe cost?

How come the German's aren't using this type of technology? Too proud? Did Toyota patent it it something?
Old 04-26-14, 09:42 AM
autox250
Driver

Originally Posted by RSXiMUS
The future is now.. lol.

The IS350 doesn't have this problem and it's direct injected. In fact when you browse other car forums regarding DI carbon build up, the 2GR-FSE in the IS350 is very often brought up in topic. Toyota was way ahead of the times.

Toyota's ingenious design with the twin port and direct injection solves this problem. Why they didn't give IS250's motor the same injection method puzzles me, maybe cost?

How come the German's aren't using this type of technology? Too proud? Did Toyota patent it it something?
It does run problem free, but I bet you didn't know that the engine mostly runs with direct injectors only. It's only during cold startup and under load that the port injectors are used. The same setup is on the LS' V8 and ISF V8.

@ DMK720 in order to heat up a cat to the point of damage it would have to be exposed for a while to a rich condition

@VALKYRIE - There's no machine work, if the heads or the block have wear or are out of spec you get NEW heads or a NEW short block no exceptions. there's no need for injector cleaning, thats not the issue and under the pressure they inject they'll never get clogged even though there is a lot of carbon found in the injector bore.
Old 05-19-14, 04:47 PM
Shanksmoon
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone gotten the piston/ring work done on their car under this CSP with a modified car? Ie) intake, exhaust, headers?
Old 05-23-14, 07:49 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

Default 7th injector?

Curious question? Does the 4gr-fse actually have a 7th port injector that fires at cold start only? I've heard this all over the internet but found no evidence to substantiate it.
Old 05-23-14, 08:04 AM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mrraider
Curious question? Does the 4gr-fse actually have a 7th port injector that fires at cold start only? I've heard this all over the internet but found no evidence to substantiate it.
I think it may be the one you have to remove to change the IS250 spark plugs, it's shown in the DIY in the FAQ section
Old 07-23-14, 07:25 AM
Nguyen07
Rookie

New to the 2nd ges IS. Had a is300 prior then went to a SC. Looking at getting into an '06 IS250 or '06 GS300. I've read thru a bunch of posts.

Both have over 100k. What are the limitations to the TSB? How old of a car will they cover and how many miles is max to be covered.
Should I have the dealer do this prior to purchase? Unfortunately the car is not from a Lexus dealership
Any help would be appreciated.
Should I just steer clear and look at something else?

If this is not covered under the TSB...ballpark price to get this done?

Last edited by Nguyen07; 07-23-14 at 07:38 AM.
Old 07-23-14, 09:25 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Nguyen07
New to the 2nd ges IS. Had a is300 prior then went to a SC. Looking at getting into an '06 IS250 or '06 GS300. I've read thru a bunch of posts.

Both have over 100k. What are the limitations to the TSB? How old of a car will they cover and how many miles is max to be covered.
Should I have the dealer do this prior to purchase? Unfortunately the car is not from a Lexus dealership
Any help would be appreciated.
Should I just steer clear and look at something else?

If this is not covered under the TSB...ballpark price to get this done?
Coverage in the US is 9 years from the date of manufacture, unlimited miles. You can take the car to a Lexus dealership for the issue, as long as it is still under warranty and the car is exhibiting the symptoms described in the TSB. Apparently it happens in most 250s, though for some reason it seems to happen less in Canada, which is why we don't have a TSB for the same issue.
Old 08-08-14, 06:12 AM
czar
8th Gear

I took my Lexus in when I started having P0302 errors. It's a 2007 Canadian IS250. Lexus told me that I was responsible to pay for a top engine clean and that the piston work would only occur if the problem came back. (Approx $800)

Is this really how it works in Canada for out of power train vehicles?
Old 08-11-14, 05:43 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by czar
I took my Lexus in when I started having P0302 errors. It's a 2007 Canadian IS250. Lexus told me that I was responsible to pay for a top engine clean and that the piston work would only occur if the problem came back. (Approx $800)

Is this really how it works in Canada for out of power train vehicles?
Nope, but every dealership seems to spin this work in a different way on a case by case basis. Try other dealerships.

It is not 9 years from manufacturing date, it's 9 years from the in-service date which would be the day that the original purchaser of the car drove it out of the lot.
Old 01-25-15, 02:36 PM
autox250
Driver

Noeh the 7th injector is cold startup only and is located in the drivers side rear of intake manifold. Plain sight by the brake reservoir.

Nguyen7 dont get into a 06 GS....

Most of the top engine cleans done after warranty are typically good willed..

So far with the revised PCV, rings, pistons and 0w20 the newer ISs aren't having these problems
Old 02-05-15, 07:29 AM
akuma88
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe im just being paranoid but when I start the car some times its makes a quick rattle noise, it sounds like its coming from the catylic converter. I have tried to restart the car several times but it does it once every blue moon. Also I sat down in my car for about 10 minutes and I could feel a very small vibration, the RPM does not move at all but I can feel the car have a subtle shake. You can not feel it unless you close your eyes and sit still for about 15 seconds, it seems to do it at 15 second intervals. Anyone had this issue before???

The car had the pistons rings and all that serviced last year at 105k, I am the third owner and the car is 122k on it. There are no codes what so ever tho.....MAYBE ITS JUST ME BEING PARANOID ha ha
Old 02-23-15, 08:12 PM
autox250
Driver

Originally Posted by akuma88
Maybe im just being paranoid but when I start the car some times its makes a quick rattle noise, it sounds like its coming from the catylic converter. I have tried to restart the car several times but it does it once every blue moon. Also I sat down in my car for about 10 minutes and I could feel a very small vibration, the RPM does not move at all but I can feel the car have a subtle shake. You can not feel it unless you close your eyes and sit still for about 15 seconds, it seems to do it at 15 second intervals. Anyone had this issue before???

The car had the pistons rings and all that serviced last year at 105k, I am the third owner and the car is 122k on it. There are no codes what so ever tho.....MAYBE ITS JUST ME BEING PARANOID ha ha
If it knocks/rattles at startup after sitting for a while, be careful it's a warning that the intake cam gears are starting to NOT retain oil. (Starting up dry)
Old 02-25-15, 04:24 PM
613tl
Driver School Candidate

good to know
Old 03-02-15, 02:21 AM
firelikeiy
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by autox250
If it knocks/rattles at startup after sitting for a while, be careful it's a warning that the intake cam gears are starting to NOT retain oil. (Starting up dry)
Mine does this and it is the cam gears but it only happens when the oil is warm. It doesn't do it when I first start the car but rather when I stop for an errand and start the car again. Is this bad? Can I keep driving like this?

Quick Reply: Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)