IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-10, 04:42 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Clay Easto
Quick - my service advisor said he didn't recommend it. Based on your knowledge, what are the chances that they could mess something up doing the top engine cleaning?

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.
Well, its kinda hard for me to believe that a service advisor would turn away a good paying TSB like that, maybe he is just nervous that it just came out and they don't have much experience in doing this yet...and if the TSB states it corrects this condition, then why not do it? If they mess up in the process, then you really get a de-carbonated brand new engine!
Old 05-18-10, 08:37 AM
ajfinoak
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this whole process done 4 months ago (the Regional Service Rep happened to be at the Dealer when I brought it in and witnessed it). Sad to say, the vibration has been slowly coming back (was never totally gone). My vibration only goes away in "D" at idle if the idle kicks up due to A/C compressor running, lights on or rear defrost on. Very frustrating. . . .
Old 05-18-10, 09:33 AM
is250gurl
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

yes the vibration is never totally gone.
Old 05-18-10, 01:44 PM
blue_dlb
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My vibration is 50-75 percent LESS now.

After the water injection cleaning I didn't drive it the next day because I was raising the car up. I'm not sure if there were still debris from the carbon that was still in the car and gone now because i drove it more or because I raised the car up. I'm AWD but i put is250 spring on to raise it up so i can bring it in for 3 recalls that I recently got. I did read somewhere that lowering AWD will cause vibration. I also did noticed that my front axles were pushed out a little. The inner boot was not in the right place. I'm on is250 springs now and wonder if I went with my stock AWD spring will it decrease the vibration any more?

So i'm wondering for those who do have the vibration with NO check engine light, are you lowered or stock?
Old 05-18-10, 04:17 PM
is2seattle
Lead Lap

i just brought my car to a dealer this morning. my car has 58,000 miles (i don't have the extended warranty). my service advisor told me that i do not have to pay for top engine cleaning thing since it is still under 70000 miles powertrain warranty. i am gonna pick up my car tomorrow. hopefully my car would have less vibration.
Old 05-18-10, 05:34 PM
ajfinoak
Driver

Originally Posted by blue_dlb
My vibration is 50-75 percent LESS now.

After the water injection cleaning I didn't drive it the next day because I was raising the car up. I'm not sure if there were still debris from the carbon that was still in the car and gone now because i drove it more or because I raised the car up. I'm AWD but i put is250 spring on to raise it up so i can bring it in for 3 recalls that I recently got. I did read somewhere that lowering AWD will cause vibration. I also did noticed that my front axles were pushed out a little. The inner boot was not in the right place. I'm on is250 springs now and wonder if I went with my stock AWD spring will it decrease the vibration any more?

So i'm wondering for those who do have the vibration with NO check engine light, are you lowered or stock?
My car is not AWD and is totally stock and only have vibration with no check engine light
Old 05-23-10, 09:14 AM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's the full TSIB for those interested
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 05-23-10, 09:39 AM
CRB
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TWong1200
Here's the full TSIB for those interested
Reading that it looks like a chronic problem that isn't going away.
Old 05-23-10, 11:02 AM
TWong350

Originally Posted by CRB
Reading that it looks like a chronic problem that isn't going away.
You hit the nail right on the head. Really what it comes down to is a poor PCV system. It's an inherent engineering design flaw where nothing can be done to improve it short of adding an external oil catch can, which is something I (and another 3GS member) am looking into doing.
Old 05-23-10, 05:15 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

You hit the nail right on the head. Really what it comes down to is a poor PCV system. It's an inherent engineering design flaw where nothing can be done to improve it short of adding an external oil catch can, which is something I (and another 3GS member) am looking into doing.
Why would GS350 owners be looking into this? They have the same engine as the IS350. Which doesn't have this problem.

The TSIB is specifically for the 250, which is DI only... everything I've read said no issue on the 350 due to having both PI and DI.
Old 05-24-10, 02:37 PM
TWong350

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Why would GS350 owners be looking into this? They have the same engine as the IS350. Which doesn't have this problem.

The TSIB is specifically for the 250, which is DI only... everything I've read said no issue on the 350 due to having both PI and DI.
Well, although the GS350 (2GR-FSE) has DI and PI, we still suffer from carbon build-up. The motor designs are essentially the same, thus they both have the same PCV system. While it has the PI to help keep the valves clean, they don't keep them clean enough. There are plenty of GS350 owners that have this problem as well even though the TSIB out for the 3GS only pertains to the GS300.
Old 05-24-10, 03:02 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, although the GS350 (2GR-FSE) has DI and PI, we still suffer from carbon build-up. The motor designs are essentially the same, thus they both have the same PCV system. While it has the PI to help keep the valves clean, they don't keep them clean enough. There are plenty of GS350 owners that have this problem as well even though the TSIB out for the 3GS only pertains to the GS300.
This doesn't really make any sense.

Do you have photo evidence? Engines with PFI have used internal & exhaust gas recirculation to reduce emissions just as cars DI have. It is not a feature unique to a DI engine, yet it is not a problem PFI engines seem to have.
Old 05-24-10, 03:07 PM
TWong350

No photo evidence but saw my own in my own intake valves with my very own eyes on my 350. Surf the 3GS forums and you'll see 350 owner's complain about symptoms. Perhaps not as wide-spread as the 300 (likely due to the PI) but it exists.

EGR can only help so much if the PCV system was designed poorly. All that gunk and blow-by in the crankcase makes its way back into the intake track. Using a catch can can soak up the oil and only allow air back into the motor.
Old 05-24-10, 08:20 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

No photo evidence but saw my own in my own intake valves with my very own eyes on my 350. Surf the 3GS forums and you'll see 350 owner's complain about symptoms. Perhaps not as wide-spread as the 300 (likely due to the PI) but it exists.

EGR can only help so much if the PCV system was designed poorly. All that gunk and blow-by in the crankcase makes its way back into the intake track. Using a catch can can soak up the oil and only allow air back into the motor.

Then why does it seem to be exclusively 250 owners with this issue on the IS?

The IS350 has the same motor as the GS350 far as I know so we ought see widespread reports of it here if you're saying it's widespread on the GS350.
Old 05-24-10, 09:25 PM
TWong350

Not sure why but that's an interesting question. I don't frequent the 2IS board much but I'd be curious to know if the issue is in the GS350 more than the IS350. From what I'm reading, carbon isn't an issue with the IS350? Or are we just playing percentages here? The IS250 is a better selling model perhaps thus diluting the data? I don't know, really.

But, I did not say that the problem is widespread on the GS350. I said you'll see complaints and that it's NOT as widespread when compared to the GS300. I know for a fact as I've seen it with my own eyes that I've got quite a bit of carbon build-up on my intake valves on both banks of my motor. I'm not having any symptoms or issues anymore. My idling issue was something else (plugs).

Quick Reply: Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)