IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-10, 02:41 PM
ajfinoak
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dreaded Carbon Buildup Vibration NOT Resolved

I have an '08 IS 250 with 20K miles and have been encountering the vibration at idle in "D" with no A/C or lights on since 10K miles. I have brought the car in 4 times since when it went from intemittent to ongoing and 3 months ago they performed the TSB top engine cleaning and kept the car for a week. The vibration returned within weeks. I always run top tier premium fuel. Lexus Corporate (800- 255- 3987) indicates that their Factory Rep feels the vibration is "within factory specifications" and will not authorize more work to resolve. Basically, I have to live with it- who would buy it from me if they feel it on a test drive? After owning numerous Toyotas and Lexus' and encouraging family and friends to buy them (plus I was a Toyota stockholder), I'm done. What has happened to this company???
Old 06-17-10, 02:45 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How bad is the vibration? Would the vibration cause liquid to spill out of a full cup of water when it's idling?

Also, if the dealer is unable to fix the same issue on a car after a number of attempts (lets say 3), you can refund the car under CA Lemon Law. Perhaps it's something to look at.
Old 06-17-10, 02:48 PM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

take it to a reputable mechanic and see if they can diagnosis the problem. Yeah your gonna have to pay for it. On the flip side if it fixes it and for good you can take it up with Corporate for a reimbursement. I think it is more the dealership convincing corporate that there is nothing wrong. I have done this with or cars with success.

G/L
Old 06-17-10, 02:50 PM
ajfinoak
Driver

Originally Posted by shadowman
How bad is the vibration? Would the vibration cause liquid to spill out of a full cup of water when it's idling?

Also, if the dealer is unable to fix the same issue on a car after a number of attempts (lets say 3), you can refund the car under CA Lemon Law. Perhaps it's something to look at.
I can't say I have tried the cup of water test but the steering wheel vibrates uncomfortably enough that I take my hands off of it at stoplights. At times can also feel it on the door sill and armrest. Unfortunately, it is too late to return it under the CA Lemon Law- thanks anyway for the suggestion
Old 06-17-10, 03:36 PM
AtlantaGuy
Rookie

Originally Posted by ajfinoak
I can't say I have tried the cup of water test but the steering wheel vibrates uncomfortably enough that I take my hands off of it at stoplights. At times can also feel it on the door sill and armrest. Unfortunately, it is too late to return it under the CA Lemon Law- thanks anyway for the suggestion

Call your local news stations and let them come out and film it for the nightly broadcast. With all the attention in the news with Toyota and Lexus, it'll get some attn.
Old 06-17-10, 04:02 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by AtlantaGuy
Call your local news stations and let them come out and film it for the nightly broadcast. With all the attention in the news with Toyota and Lexus, it'll get some attn.
maybe you should reconsider the above option, as you might open another can of worms and thus affecting the future resale value of everyone's lexus - including YOUR lexus.

seriously, let's look at the big picture here, folks. /OT

to the OP: as far as the california lemon law is concerned, i can only point you to this link:

http://www.ag.ca.gov/consumers/general/lemon.php

if you can specify the condition of your 2is prior to your ownership (new/used) and where you purchased it from (dealership, used car lot), it would help. btw, i believe the california lemon law gives you four years to pursue legal action, and seeing as to how your 2is is MY2008, the CA lemon law should still apply.

hope you have this situation resolved. best of luck.
Old 06-18-10, 08:44 AM
ajfinoak
Driver

Interestingly, I just did a search for this on clublexus and looks like some folks with the IS-F are having the same idle issue. Hmmmmm.
Old 06-18-10, 12:24 PM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

i think you should meet up with some local CL members with IS250 and sit it there's and have them sit in yours and see the difference.
Old 06-18-10, 12:29 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

^^^

I guess this with the same year or mileage would make sense.

BUt perhaps we should do the cup of water test and record it. Then have other members do the same cup of water test.

By the way... I got the cup of water from Initial D. Don't go drifting your IS on me now.
Old 06-18-10, 01:20 PM
ajfinoak
Driver

To compare, the cars probably should have similar mileage. Mine did not do it when new until about 10K and started out as an intermittent problem and the new loaner I had did not do it either. I may have to check into the CA Lemon Law since it looks like Lexus is not going to take care of it. Perhaps if enough people with the problem let them know they will take their car buying $'s elsewhere they may start to listen.
Old 06-18-10, 02:21 PM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

Before you use the lemon law you need to go to lexus mediation. that is what BAR will tell you to do before they will even listen to your case. File for Lexus mediation and go from there. They usually send a real toyota engineer to look it over and work on it. If that doesnt work then you can file for the CA Lemon Law.

Good Luck
Old 06-18-10, 02:38 PM
ajfinoak
Driver

Originally Posted by slee18
Before you use the lemon law you need to go to lexus mediation. that is what BAR will tell you to do before they will even listen to your case. File for Lexus mediation and go from there. They usually send a real toyota engineer to look it over and work on it. If that doesnt work then you can file for the CA Lemon Law.

Good Luck
Thanks for the tip. I may look into that option.
Old 06-18-10, 03:15 PM
Clay Easto
Pole Position

My IS250AWD is my first and LAST Lexus/Toyota product ever. Never again. Too many recalls. Too many bugs/problems.
Old 06-20-10, 02:31 PM
faast
Driver School Candidate

What are the signs of carbon build up in a IS 350 and could this be checked/verified in a PPI ? On a side note,how expensive is the fix ?
Thanks
Old 06-20-10, 08:42 PM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by faast
What are the signs of carbon build up in a IS 350 and could this be checked/verified in a PPI ? On a side note,how expensive is the fix ?
Thanks
Once again it is very rare for IS350's to have carbon build up. After all the IS250 carbon build up threads it's causing a "non-existing" IS350 carbon build up.

For everyone discussing in this thread or in any other related thread please stick to the topic being the IS250's current issue.

For those that are new, IS250's have been developing carbon in the intake manifolds and in other engine parts due to it's DI (Direct Injection) fuel delivery system. The bigger 3.5l IS350 contains two methods of fuel delivery DI and Port Injection.

Unless someone has a solid case of IS350's having carbon build up and it has been documented by a de-carb at the dealer then share your experience. Until then IS350 owners please stop worrying about carbn build-up on your vehicles.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)