IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-12, 05:21 PM
TheRusski
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone tried Seafoaming their car with this Carbon buildup issue? results before and after?
Old 06-04-12, 06:59 PM
P Rock
Driver

I also have this issue but the rough idling was rare and intermittent so I didn't worry too much about it.
Now I'm getting CEL and Check VSC lights. Took it into Autozone to get the codes pulled and I got a P0101 (throttle body??), P0171 and P0175 (02 sensor??). Disconnected the battery, reconnected and the lights went away for a couple days and came back today. Car is a 06 250 AWD with 110k miles.
Is this carbon build up related?
Old 06-04-12, 11:01 PM
new.era.13
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by P Rock
I also have this issue but the rough idling was rare and intermittent so I didn't worry too much about it.
Now I'm getting CEL and Check VSC lights. Took it into Autozone to get the codes pulled and I got a P0101 (throttle body??), P0171 and P0175 (02 sensor??). Disconnected the battery, reconnected and the lights went away for a couple days and came back today. Car is a 06 250 AWD with 110k miles.
Is this carbon build up related?
your mass air flow sensor is dirty. clean it, make sure the sensor is on there tight and there is no leaking. I had the same problem, cleaned it and tighten the screw and it was fine.
Old 06-05-12, 06:54 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am going to wait til 69000 miles before going for this piston/ring/block replacement route. Although I have the occasional stumble @ read lights, My engine revvs so smooth that I fear that once they open it up and do all the messy things, it will never be the well oiled smooth revving precision machine again.
Old 06-05-12, 09:16 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRusski
Anyone tried Seafoaming their car with this Carbon buildup issue? results before and after?
Dodge sells a better spray! its an actual foam that I believe fills up the whole piston chambers.

But im sure toyota has there own top engine cleaning solution. Or they may use any of the BG cleaning solutions.
Old 06-05-12, 09:49 AM
RA030724
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Toyota sells a Toyota injector cleaner, but I think they recommend using a GM Cleaner #88861802 in the tech bulletin.
Attached Thumbnails Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)-gm-injector-cleaner.jpg  
Old 06-05-12, 10:06 AM
twenty
Pole Position

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
A few members have just seafoamed the car to burn off the Carbon.
I run seafoam through my TB + in my gas tank every time I do an oil change... I just recently had my 50k mile service done, and my mechanic said I have zero carbon buildup. He actually asked me if I run seafoam through my engine...haha
Old 06-05-12, 11:06 AM
Martini250
Driver School Candidate

I have had an 08 250 with 54,500 miles for 8 months. I had the break down done in April for the carbon build up. After they had it for three weeks, I finally got it back. My alignment was messed up and my car was smoking out of the tailpipe. I called my service adviser immediately and he said to bring it in and they'd fix the alignment but the smoking was normal as it was simply the chemicals from the break down burning off. I went on a test drive with my mechanic who did the break down and he WREAKED of weed- I had to roll my window down because it was so bad. My car continued smoking for two and a half weeks and oil started coming out of the tailpipe. In addition to that, the oil smells like gas really bad. Now I'm really freaked out so I bring my car in despite what my service adviser was saying. They take the engine out and start the second break down in a month- really great. I met with the service manager and told him about my mechanic smelling like weed and my car is now smoking and has been for nearly 3 weeks. They drug tested the mechanic and he's no longer working there... thank goodness. Got the call yesterday that pistons 1 and 3 were filled with oil because piston 1's rings were lined up when they need to be staggered by 120 degrees and piston 3's rings were in upside down. The dealership has fully admitted fault and is trying to simply do the tsib again but that's not good enough now. The short block needs to be replaced as does the entire exhaust system since it's got oil jammed all throughout it. I want a buy-back by the dealership because this car has been messed with too much and I have zero faith in them because of everything. When I came into the service dept for my first oil change, they lost my car for 4 hours and it ended up at an upholstery shop 10 miles away. Another time I went in to pick my car up, there was a dollar-bill length black scuff on my front bumper. What the hell are they doing to my car??!

TL;DR- Dealership royally messed up my engine on the car I've had for 8 months and I now want a buy-back. Justified? If so, how much is reasonable to ask for?
Old 06-05-12, 12:53 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Martini250
I have had an 08 250 with 54,500 miles for 8 months. I had the break down done in April for the carbon build up. After they had it for three weeks, I finally got it back. My alignment was messed up and my car was smoking out of the tailpipe. I called my service adviser immediately and he said to bring it in and they'd fix the alignment but the smoking was normal as it was simply the chemicals from the break down burning off. I went on a test drive with my mechanic who did the break down and he WREAKED of weed- I had to roll my window down because it was so bad. My car continued smoking for two and a half weeks and oil started coming out of the tailpipe. In addition to that, the oil smells like gas really bad. Now I'm really freaked out so I bring my car in despite what my service adviser was saying. They take the engine out and start the second break down in a month- really great. I met with the service manager and told him about my mechanic smelling like weed and my car is now smoking and has been for nearly 3 weeks. They drug tested the mechanic and he's no longer working there... thank goodness. Got the call yesterday that pistons 1 and 3 were filled with oil because piston 1's rings were lined up when they need to be staggered by 120 degrees and piston 3's rings were in upside down. The dealership has fully admitted fault and is trying to simply do the tsib again but that's not good enough now. The short block needs to be replaced as does the entire exhaust system since it's got oil jammed all throughout it. I want a buy-back by the dealership because this car has been messed with too much and I have zero faith in them because of everything. When I came into the service dept for my first oil change, they lost my car for 4 hours and it ended up at an upholstery shop 10 miles away. Another time I went in to pick my car up, there was a dollar-bill length black scuff on my front bumper. What the hell are they doing to my car??!

TL;DR- Dealership royally messed up my engine on the car I've had for 8 months and I now want a buy-back. Justified? If so, how much is reasonable to ask for?

You want a buyback on a car that's 4-5 years old and you've only owned 8 months... because you got an incompetent mechanic at the dealership?

That's probably not gonna happen.

I'd certainly raise hell about getting everything relevant fixed/replaced and maybe a free extended warranty for your trouble though.
Old 06-05-12, 05:31 PM
PandaBear
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aftermarket PCV oil separator anyone?

Hi there, just wondering if anyone has ever attached an aftermarket PCV oil separator and remove the condensation on a regular basis? If anything this should reduce the amount of water going back on the valve, but requires a lot of dumping on a regular basis.
Old 06-05-12, 08:26 PM
FNFZ4
Driver

if this happens and the car is still under warranty is this type of thing covered?
Old 06-05-12, 08:59 PM
baputsti
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Martini250

Not gonna happen. If I were in your position, I would take my car to a different dealership.
Old 06-05-12, 09:34 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by FNFZ4
if this happens and the car is still under warranty is this type of thing covered?
Yes, that's kinda the definition of warranty
Old 06-06-12, 10:24 AM
Martini250
Driver School Candidate

Forgot to mention- there was a significant amount of gas in my oil and I drove it like this for almost three weeks. Met with the service director and service manager yesterday. They're trying to put me into a 350 because of the issues caused by their mechanic. We will see if that actually happens. The district sales manager is supposed to call me today or tomorrow to get the ball rolling.
Old 06-06-12, 10:28 AM
TheRusski
Rookie

Originally Posted by twenty
I run seafoam through my TB + in my gas tank every time I do an oil change... I just recently had my 50k mile service done, and my mechanic said I have zero carbon buildup. He actually asked me if I run seafoam through my engine...haha
Nice! Im not a mechanic but is it possible to check if you have any carbon buildup without taking the whole engine apart? or how can we check it?

Quick Reply: Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)