IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-11, 03:35 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
What you want to do is use a hose connected to the manifold. The brake booster is one possibility, but generally if there is a smaller hose, use it. Put the hose into your water source and have an assistant raise rpm to about 2500 rpm.

If you're really worried about it, you can put a restrictor in the hose to slow the water flow, but again, it's really difficult to hydrolock an engine without completely submerging the intake.
VERY VERY CAREFUL when you're doing this. I saw two IS250 engines went KABOOM when 2 of the techs( about two months apart on each incident) did the old TSB with the chemical spray through the brake booster hose. They slowly spray the top end cleaner through the brake booster hose and all of the sudden....the engine making a banging noise. Both engines has one big hole on the block, hydrolocked,broke the connecting rod and bend a few valves. Oh, both techs has been with us for over 10 years and very experience.Those engines are all aluminum.
If you spray water inside the intake by yourself and some goes wrong...you're on your own. The best way is drive the heck of the car and burn it out.
Old 10-12-11, 09:10 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,843 Likes on 2,331 Posts

Driving it won't do anything for the intake valves. There's nothing to clean them because the fuel isn't going down the intake.

Also, the chemical spray could easily reduce the effective octane in the cylinder and cause detonation. Many of the lighter hydrocarbons have great solvent ability, but very low octane numbers. Water does not affect octane and actually reduces octane requirements for any engine.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 10-13-11 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-12-11, 10:32 PM
jay90011
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

hey guys so i got my car back today and this is the info that was on the paper work from the service that was performed. Only downside right now is that my AC does not work so ill be taking the car back on saturday.

Name:  NewPicture.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  44.9 KB

Last edited by jay90011; 10-12-11 at 10:38 PM.
Old 10-13-11, 12:04 AM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
What you want to do is use a hose connected to the manifold. The brake booster is one possibility, but generally if there is a smaller hose, use it. Put the hose into your water source and have an assistant raise rpm to about 2500 rpm.

If you're really worried about it, you can put a restrictor in the hose to slow the water flow, but again, it's really difficult to hydrolock an engine without completely submerging the intake.
Christ this is going to be scary when I perform this on Saturday.
Thanks for the info Lobu
Old 10-13-11, 02:40 PM
PandaBear
Driver

Is it proven that it is indeed EGR that causes the carbon build up? or is it just a speculation?

If it is the fuel or oil vapor from PCV then the valve closer to the PCV would have more deposit than the other, whereas if it is the EGR the carbon buildup would be fairly even. Also I'm not sure how much EGR is used today especially with variable valve controlled engine, as they can always reduce intake instead of pumping exhaust back to the intake (more work).

Regarding to ring replacement, it could be that a stuck ring is causing excessive blow by that causes more build up. I remember Saturn has a lot of problem with ring design that causes excessive oil burning and many engine died because owner didn't top off on a regular basis.
Old 10-13-11, 07:18 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,843 Likes on 2,331 Posts

EGR is done with cam timing. No extra valves or plumbing required, all done with software. There's no indication the deposits are not evenly distributed, and they don't look like oil anyway. They're dry carbon.
Old 10-18-11, 10:56 PM
freeflight
Driver

Good point about not getting extended warranty right now, let's wait and see.
I wonder when this issue surfaced. If Lexus was aware of this issue and didn't make any remedy for a few years, it would be a real shame.

Last edited by freeflight; 10-22-11 at 08:52 AM.
Old 10-24-11, 04:23 PM
meangene
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone else have any updates? I'm considering letting the dealership replace/repair it. I'm just worried about the dealership doing a complete overhaul on my engine.
Old 10-27-11, 03:19 PM
g2bme
Pole Position

Originally Posted by meangene
anyone else have any updates? I'm considering letting the dealership replace/repair it. I'm just worried about the dealership doing a complete overhaul on my engine.
yes, i'd like to know this. I went to the dealership not too long ago and they said they could not duplicate the problem, so there was NO problem. Anyone know how to duplicate it, how to go about getting a fix?
Old 11-08-11, 12:55 PM
mrraider
Pole Position

Read teh thread and it seems the build-up prblem is due to the engine being DI, and a common problem on many DI engines. I have not had any of the symptoms described in the posts, but I am coming up to the end of my warranty in the new year. Any recommended prevention or maintenance I can ask for at the dealer at my final visit before the warranty is up?
Old 11-08-11, 01:32 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mrraider
Read teh thread and it seems the build-up prblem is due to the engine being DI, and a common problem on many DI engines. I have not had any of the symptoms described in the posts, but I am coming up to the end of my warranty in the new year. Any recommended prevention or maintenance I can ask for at the dealer at my final visit before the warranty is up?
End of your factory or powertrain warranty? Because remember, this will be covered by your 6 year/70k mile powertrain warranty.
Old 11-08-11, 03:12 PM
trixxx519
Lexus Test Driver

went to dealer last summer for a recall, but not sure if this was done. How do i check if this was done or not?
Old 11-08-11, 04:13 PM
mrraider
Pole Position

Originally Posted by calvin2376
End of your factory or powertrain warranty? Because remember, this will be covered by your 6 year/70k mile powertrain warranty.
No. The basic warranty. If powertrain warranty will cover it, then I'll be happy to keep driving for another two years. Still, is their no prevention possible? From what I read, this is a design flaw in all DI engines.
Old 11-08-11, 06:48 PM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default DIY Guide to Check Engine Light

I'm still baffled by the lack of help in part of Lexus on this issue. Mostly because a lot of people are coming to the end of their powertrain warranty, as far as mileage is concerned.

I've devised a method that's worked twice in the past. Throwing a check engine light on behalf of engine misfires.

The first step to getting this LSB warranted by Lexus is simple, baby your car & do several short trips every week, short I mean 5 to 10 min drives.

Next step is to pay attention to your car every time you come to a complete stop at a red light or stop sign. If and when you notice your car acting like it's about to stall, immediately drop the gear to N (Neutral) and rev up the engine to red line for a few seconds consecutively. Let it bounce off the rev limiter, don't worry these cars have a cut off so you won't be doing any harm.

If done correctly at the moment you put the car into D (Drive) it should throw a misfire witch will generate a check engine light.

Quickly proceed to your nearest dealership and have them take care of your concern.

This has been a service announcement in case you didn't know

Please note, this method mentioned here is only for purposes of having the dealer acknowledge your concern. It's meant for those who have been battling the problem and spending much of their hard earned cash on injector cleaners, fuel system cleaners, and other expensive bandaid fixes. Not to mention dealerships offering to do the top engine cleaning as a "charge service". The dealer cannot try to duplicate a check engine code with misfires as it's stored in the computer immediately after it happens.

Last edited by XhyDra; 11-09-11 at 11:49 AM.
Old 11-09-11, 11:12 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That is awesome....thanks xhydra....although my service advisor has always taken my word for it.
Couple of months back went to Park Place Lexus, told my advisor David Williams that cars seems like stalling every now and then. He says "OK" and gets the carbon cleanup procedure done. Simple.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)