IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-12, 12:04 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Gryss
Up untill recently as far as Lexus was concerned they did not have a fix for the problem, so there was no problem. with this new LSB that is out, I hope they wont have the same answer for you. if they do bring it to CA and I will look at it for you ^.^
Thanks man. You're 4 months late tho... I drove to Cali for the Pursuit III in October haha.
Old 03-06-12, 12:23 PM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Gryss thanks for your input as a Lexus Tech on this thread, it's always appreciated when solid info is shared.
Old 03-06-12, 01:56 PM
Gryss
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
From what my dealer told me, they aren't doing the engine "cleaning" any more as it was a short term (if any) solution. If they can duplicate the problem, they are just doing to piston/ring replacement. He didn't say anything about the valves/seals(?)
Correct, the LSB to perform a top engine clean is no longer performed. When this first started the fix was to upgrade the valve springs on the is250 to help them seat better (see ALE campaign for the is350) and perform a top engine clean. Now that we have seen enough isx50's with this issue they started replacing pistons and rings that can me miffed by the carbon buildup from the stems getting into the combustion chamber.

2006 IS's all get new springs, retainers, shims when/if the pistons are replaced. (sometimes valves) Newer IS's usually do not reqire replacement of anything other then the pistons/rings.

And when the heads are off the valves are cleaned/lapped.
Old 03-06-12, 02:20 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Drive the car in a lower gear on the freeway for 1.5 miles (keep it around 4-5.5k rpm), exit the freeway and come to a stop. If it is going to misfire, that will cause it. That test drive procedure is the one Lexus has us do on any IS with a misfire mutiple misfire code. During that drive cycle with the cars live data up on a tech-stream we do a misfire count. The number of misfires determines the repair performed. Some cars get new valves (or valves lapped), new pistons, new piston rings or a combination of the three.
Awesome. I will try that out today.
Old 03-06-12, 02:30 PM
Gryss
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chikoo
Awesome. I will try that out today.
That is just the test procedue that Lexus has us use. doing it yourself wont really help much unless you have a techstream or another way to capture live data to show misfire counts over the drive time. And even so the dealer needs to duplicate it with the techstream to send that data to Lexus.

Just take it to your dealer and tell them that the car feels like it is going to stall when you get off the freeway, They should know what to do from there.

And so you know, the best way to get taken care of is to tell the dealer the symptoms you have, don't go in there and tell them that you need LSB90823908423904823904823940. If you want a certian LSB performed, just look up the symptoms and tell them that.
Old 03-06-12, 02:50 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Yup! I never try to "teach" the service advisers. Even if I know the answer, I let them find the answer for me.
Old 03-06-12, 03:37 PM
Gryss
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chikoo
Yup! I never try to "teach" the service advisers. Even if I know the answer, I let them find the answer for me.
It's not an issue of who knows more. But when we open a RO it needs to look like:

"Guest states the car feels like it is going to stall when coming to a stop"

Not

"I want free pistons, perform LSB 098432342etc."

lol
Old 03-06-12, 03:51 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Lexus has you lap the valves? That's sad. There's no quicker way to ruin a good valve job. Lapping kills flow at low lift.
Old 03-06-12, 05:01 PM
Gryss
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Lexus has you lap the valves? That's sad. There's no quicker way to ruin a good valve job. Lapping kills flow at low lift.
On the older cars, they have before. or replace. really depends how bad they look
Old 03-06-12, 09:07 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 583 Likes on 393 Posts

Interesting, the Canadian TSB is quite clear that any parts outside of spec should be replaced and mentions nothing of lapping or grinding the valves beyond cleaning.

I haven't read the USA TSIB.

Jeff
Old 03-06-12, 09:18 PM
sallydrive
Driver

Does anyone have the new/updates LSB? Could you guys please post this? ..or direct me where to find it?
Old 03-08-12, 09:15 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
Less blowby = less carbon buildup. New rings combined with cleaning existing carbon deposits should get the engine running the way it was, and help prevent buildup from happening as fast (due to less blowby/oil consumption).

Jeff
Am I to infer that even with the piston job, the problem will still recur? In other words, is long term ownership of this car (beyond the 6 year powertrain warranty) inadviseable?

Also, how have other manufacturers like VW and GM resolved the issue? It seems this is an inherent flaw of any DI system. Me thinks a lot of Focus and Elantra owners are in for a nasty surprise in a few years.
Old 03-08-12, 11:13 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mrraider
Am I to infer that even with the piston job, the problem will still recur? In other words, is long term ownership of this car (beyond the 6 year powertrain warranty) inadviseable?
Not to speak for Jeff, but that's certainly my read on the situation. It doesn't "fix" the problem it just means it'll take longer to reoccur.

So perhaps instead of every 20k miles it happens every 50k.

A couple hundred buck top engine clean would then buy you another 50k miles before it comes up again.

So it's not ideal, but it's not like the car will cost 10 grand to repair every 6 months or something.

(Disclaimer: those 20k and 50k numbers are total speculation on my part for sake of the example... could really be 30k and 100k or 15k and 30k... or anything else)

Originally Posted by mrraider
Also, how have other manufacturers like VW and GM resolved the issue? It seems this is an inherent flaw of any DI system. Me thinks a lot of Focus and Elantra owners are in for a nasty surprise in a few years.

Yeah, others have had the same issue... Audi, VW, Hundai, and more... check this story about it:

http://www.autoobserver.com/2011/06/...-adopters.html

It mentions VW including in its 2002 patent the following:

Originally Posted by VW
Gasoline engines with direct injection of the fuel into the combustion chamber…suffer especially from the problem of the formation of carbon deposits…especially in the neck region of the intake valves
So it has been a well known issue for a while

The article suggests that newer DI motors won't have these problems (or not nearly as bad anyway) due to design, material, and engineering changes.
Old 03-09-12, 07:35 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

It's not an issue of who knows more. But when we open a RO it needs to look like:

"Guest states the car feels like it is going to stall when coming to a stop"

Not

"I want free pistons, perform LSB 098432342etc."

lol
Gryss, I got the top end cleaning done about 10K ago.
After that, I feel the engine runs very tight, barely making any "noise" as well as the throttle tip-in to be on the slow side, meaning I have to push the gas pedal (feels more resistance) down to get it moving, as opposed to a light touch to spin it up. Ever heard of anything like this?
Old 03-09-12, 12:26 PM
zen
Pole Position

I read a lot about this carbon buildup issues and Lexus replaced the piston and ring on my 09 IS250 about 3 months ago. After replaced, I don't have the issue of stall when I come to a stop. I know it's not a permanent fix, but does anyone know if the Lexus extended warranty cover this work if I need to replace the piston/ring again in the future ?

Quick Reply: Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)