IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-12, 06:32 PM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ My car is actually in the shop right now getting the same thing done finally glad they fixing it i had 2 weeks left on my warrantee.
Old 03-02-12, 04:34 PM
mickificki
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carbon cleaning

does anyone know if the carbon cleaning is something we can perform on our own?

i know it's going to be kinda extensive, but was just wondering how difficult it'd be.
Old 03-02-12, 06:44 PM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mickificki
does anyone know if the carbon cleaning is something we can perform on our own?

i know it's going to be kinda extensive, but was just wondering how difficult it'd be.
If your car is still under warrantee just take it in..
Old 03-03-12, 02:13 PM
apocopa
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation

I started and stopped my (2007) IS250 the other day and noticed a shudder. Upon starting it up the next day, the car almost stalled and the check VSC, traction control and Engine lights came on. It has been running fine since but the lights still come on.

Seeing a range of issues in this thread, curious if you folks think this carbon issue could be the cause for my lights/issue?

UPDATE:

Found this solution and it solved it for now...

1) Drive car to full operating temperature. You want to evaluate the difference resetting the computer makes on the response, so you want to leave everything else constant - such as engine temp. Pay attention to any idle vibration you feel in gear.
2) Power off, and remove the negative battery cable (10mm socket required). Leave off for 10 minutes or so. I discharged the system completely by pressing the brake pedal.
3) Reconnect negative battery cable
4) Restart and drive.

It's all good now!

Last edited by apocopa; 03-03-12 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-03-12, 03:34 PM
HeartmyIS
Lexus Champion

Brought mine in today for replaces piston rings and new valves.
Old 03-03-12, 09:11 PM
mickificki
Driver School Candidate

take a step back and think about why I would ask a question like that for a minute...wait for it...wait for it...

ok...now why would i ask such a question?

because i want to know if i end up keeping the car and i'm out of the warranty and the dealer "doesn't see anything wrong" with the car, i want to know how difficult it'd be to clean the carbon buildup.

i'm pretty much deciding whether or not i want to keep the car.

Originally Posted by 600rr05
If your car is still under warrantee just take it in..
Old 03-03-12, 09:12 PM
mickificki
Driver School Candidate

have you read what's going on with the car? what in the world is resetting the car going to do to remove the carbon buildup??

Originally Posted by apocopa
I started and stopped my (2007) IS250 the other day and noticed a shudder. Upon starting it up the next day, the car almost stalled and the check VSC, traction control and Engine lights came on. It has been running fine since but the lights still come on.

Seeing a range of issues in this thread, curious if you folks think this carbon issue could be the cause for my lights/issue?

UPDATE:

1) Drive car to full operating temperature. You want to evaluate the difference resetting the computer makes on the response, so you want to leave everything else constant - such as engine temp. Pay attention to any idle vibration you feel in gear.
2) Power off, and remove the negative battery cable (10mm socket required). Leave off for 10 minutes or so. I discharged the system completely by pressing the brake pedal.
4) Restart and drive.

It's all good now!
Old 03-03-12, 11:02 PM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

that is exactly what my car first did except i lost all power had to pull over and turn it off and back on ran fine but had the lights... Took it in and from what i was told they just flush the motor a couple of times to remove the build up but ask about replacing the pistons and rings. That is the true fix otherwise im sure the issue will come back.

Originally Posted by apocopa

UPDATE:

4) Restart and drive.

It's all good now!
Old 03-03-12, 11:40 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like mine is going back to Longo Lexus sometime this month for another Top Engine Clean

Went 20k miles since the last clean...
Old 03-04-12, 03:20 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

From what my dealer told me, they aren't doing the engine "cleaning" any more as it was a short term (if any) solution. If they can duplicate the problem, they are just doing to piston/ring replacement. He didn't say anything about the valves/seals(?)
Old 03-05-12, 01:27 PM
apocopa
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mickificki
have you read what's going on with the car? what in the world is resetting the car going to do to remove the carbon buildup??
If I reset it and the issue goes away why would I pay the dealer to do something that doesn't exist? My car is not under warranty anymore so...

Anyone have insight into how much it costs to have the work done? After I reset the car, I have had zero issues with stalling or warning lights.
Old 03-06-12, 04:50 AM
sallydrive
Driver

Does anybody know how to duplicate the misfires in the engine so I can take it to Lexus?
Old 03-06-12, 08:26 AM
Gryss
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sallydrive
Does anybody know how to duplicate the misfires in the engine so I can take it to Lexus?
Drive the car in a lower gear on the freeway for 1.5 miles (keep it around 4-5.5k rpm), exit the freeway and come to a stop. If it is going to misfire, that will cause it. That test drive procedure is the one Lexus has us do on any IS with a misfire mutiple misfire code. During that drive cycle with the cars live data up on a tech-stream we do a misfire count. The number of misfires determines the repair performed. Some cars get new valves (or valves lapped), new pistons, new piston rings or a combination of the three.

Originally Posted by HeartmyIS
Brought mine in today for replaces piston rings and new valves.
I think I have your car in my shop! ^.^
Old 03-06-12, 10:38 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Does anyone know what to do when your dealership claims "there is no recorded problem with carbon build-up in any IS models"?

My car has only shuddered a handful of times, but me (and another Houston IS'er) have had the dealer tell us there 1) is no problem and 2) carbon build up as a problem only comes from running cheap (low octane) gas. The other Houston-ian even showed them the TSIB about it i think. Not a pressing problem, and i know it's been brought up in this thread before but just wondering what we could do to get a solution like so many of you have gotten.
Old 03-06-12, 11:50 AM
Gryss
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by heyarms
Does anyone know what to do when your dealership claims "there is no recorded problem with carbon build-up in any IS models"?

My car has only shuddered a handful of times, but me (and another Houston IS'er) have had the dealer tell us there 1) is no problem and 2) carbon build up as a problem only comes from running cheap (low octane) gas. The other Houston-ian even showed them the TSIB about it i think. Not a pressing problem, and i know it's been brought up in this thread before but just wondering what we could do to get a solution like so many of you have gotten.
Up untill recently as far as Lexus was concerned they did not have a fix for the problem, so there was no problem. with this new LSB that is out, I hope they wont have the same answer for you. if they do bring it to CA and I will look at it for you ^.^

Quick Reply: Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)