***attention: Vibration issue resolved***

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-10, 03:48 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default ***attention: Vibration issue resolved***

Hello everyone,

I am happy to report that my dealership resolved the issue with the vibration at idle while in "D" and "R".

As some of you may know, I was experiencing a problem with my Lexus IS350 vibrating while engaged in "D" and "R"...yet not in "N" or "P". I visited over four different dealerships to get this resolved as it started happening when my "Check VSC" light came on while driving on the highway, and none were able to identify and resolve my problem. The biggest factor as to why most of the dealers weren't able to resolve the issue was because they would run a computer check, and all the times, the computer shot out correct readings. I know this has been a major concern to many IS350 and GS350 owners, and I refused to believe that just because a computer says everything is OK, that everything is OK! So I called Lexus Corp. and let them know my situation. The case manager was extremely helpful and got on the case right away! He called and made an appointment with McGrath Lexus in downtown Chicago. Within a few days, I received a call from McGrath advising to bring in my car for inspection. I personally asked to compare my IS350 w/26k miles with another IS350 w/36k miles on the lot, and we did. My car had wayyyy too much vibrations, through the steering wheel, the seats, and the door. At least way to much for a Lexus to vibrate, put it that way. So, the service manager said "yeah, I definitely feel more vibrations in your car then this other IS350 we have here." So, the service manager said, we will need your car for overnight and maybe longer depending on what we find. I got a loaner (HS250) sweet ride, and my car was with them for two and a half days. On saturday, I went to pick up my car and was I happy or what! They did a fantastic job! the vibrations are gone and do you know what the culprit was? Well, here is what the serivice order said:

"CUSTOMER STATES THE VEHICLE HAS A VIBRATION FROM ENGINE AREA. CASE OPEN WITH LEXUS CUSTOMER SATISFACTION. PERFORMED A HEALTH CHECK ON VEHICLE AND EVERYTHING PASSED. TECH NOTICED CARBON BUILD UP IN VALVE BODY. PERFORMED FUEL SYSTEM TREATMENT AND CLEANED OFF RESIDUE. TEST DROVE VEHICLE UNDER HOT AND COLD SITUATIONS AND VEHICLE RUNNING TO FACTORY SPECS."

I believe we have found the cause of our beloved IS's vibrating issue. I will try and post a picture of my service order for those who want evidence or proof. I knew there was something wrong, as this car only has 26k miles on it and has never done this before. McGrath LEXUS....JOB WELL DONE!
Old 02-21-10, 04:28 PM
hades281
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

By Valve Body, does that mean throttle body or engine valves? I assume throttle body?
Old 02-21-10, 04:29 PM
pchan0
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the vibration only happen when you are in 'D' or 'R' with the foot on the brake? Is the vibration on on the steering wheel, what about the center console?

Just curious to see if it is the same vibration I'm experiencing with my AWD after lowering. Thanks.
Old 02-21-10, 05:06 PM
lexboi250
Lexus Champion

I have the same issue. lowered on f-sport, not only vibrates, but also when you take off, it shakes a bit too. it's quite noticeble. are you lowered on anything? When my car was on stock springs, I never had this problem.
Old 02-21-10, 05:18 PM
dubsesd
Lead Lap

this vibration isn't the same vibration AWD owners get when they lower their cars. this is a different case
Old 02-21-10, 05:44 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

NAIIISSSS. did they tell you what might have cused that build up?
Old 02-21-10, 06:29 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hades281
By Valve Body, does that mean throttle body or engine valves? I assume throttle body?
Good question...I too thought the throttle body, because it says there was a fuel treatment done, so i figured guessing throttle body. Although, the service manager did mention something about exhaust valves get cleaned through this process. Makes sense as there would be carbon build up on the exhaust side more than intake side. I also read a while ago, that a GS350 owner had a similar problem, but they performed a whole valve replacement job. What could be causing this build up? Do our IS's have a recirculating exhaust valve or system? If so, we might be seeing re-occuring issues.
Old 02-21-10, 06:32 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pchan0
Does the vibration only happen when you are in 'D' or 'R' with the foot on the brake? Is the vibration on on the steering wheel, what about the center console?

Just curious to see if it is the same vibration I'm experiencing with my AWD after lowering. Thanks.
Yeah the vibration happens when in "D" or "R" with my foot firmly on brake. It goes away when I let go of the brake and roll and accelerate. The vibration is apparent in the steering wheel, seat, door, and a little bit in the shifter. What really got me ticked was the headliner began buzzing a little because of this...and that drove me INSANE! No vibrations in the center console, although, not enough to make any console noises.
Old 02-21-10, 06:36 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexboi250
I have the same issue. lowered on f-sport, not only vibrates, but also when you take off, it shakes a bit too. it's quite noticeble. are you lowered on anything? When my car was on stock springs, I never had this problem.
I didn't really notice it when taking off, yet at times, acceleration was somewhat delayed or slow...slight sputter before moving. My vehicle is 100% bone stock with the exception of painted calipers up front with Lexus logo. I know these cars are V type engines and are much more prone to vibrating than an inline type engine, but my 350Z idled smoother and that was a freak'n Nissan! My buddy has a IS250, and he will take it in soon to see if this process remedies the problem.
Old 02-21-10, 06:45 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by juice14
NAIIISSSS. did they tell you what might have cused that build up?
The service manager mentioned briefly that low grade fuel, brand of fuel, and location of gas stations can cause this sometimes. I only use premium from Shell. I have heard about some engines that don't burn fuel at low idle, and cause carbon remains on the valves...since our engines are direct injection, and idle pretty low at a stop, this could be concern...i dunno, just my guess.
Old 02-21-10, 10:42 PM
NWIS250AWD
Rookie

Our 07 is250awd is having the heads rebuilt currently due to carbon build with 34k. Was told this is due to engine design not fuel. There is no fix just clean and rebuild. Guessing this will happen again when out of warranty needing another rebuild out of pocket. From what I hear the problem is getting more widespead now that the engine is racking up miles.
Old 02-22-10, 07:18 AM
H-I-M
Driver

I bet they just used a can of SEA FOAM.
Old 02-22-10, 07:25 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by H-I-M
I bet they just used a can of SEA FOAM.
I was thinking the same thing.
Old 02-22-10, 07:30 AM
is250gurl
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

i've been complaining about the occasional studder i get from my car at idle every few months or more and they keep talking about carbon build up on the throttle body and a fuel injection cleaning. i find this hard to believe after only 42k on the car and only using premium gas since day 1. a clean & rebuild? you've got to be kidding me.
Old 02-22-10, 05:42 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

well, just rev it up when you are at a red light to avoid this.

Quick Reply: ***attention: Vibration issue resolved***