SparksLex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it truly just a weight?
Old 01-08-14, 09:59 PM
Jake
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I definitely feel the difference from stock. Money well spent!
Old 07-30-14, 03:18 PM
valeoray
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I just had this piece put in by Lexus, but they chipped my left switch cover. There is also a scratch that is hard to see on the photo, but it's there. They will order and replace it at their cost.

The steering feels more balanced and there is no more vibrations from the road especially when you go over imperfections, bumps, or manhole covers. You still feel the road and bumps, but not the resulting vibrations from going over them. I would say it's not a night and day difference, but at least half way to 3/4 of a way there. I know...it's subjective.

Anyone know the part number for that cover? I want to email Lexus and make sure they order the right one.

Thanks!

Old 07-30-14, 03:31 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I got the damper, rear sway bar and ISF ecu all around the same time... Night and day difference! It's like driving a race car now!
Old 12-28-14, 11:17 PM
rwseattle
Driver School Candidate

Default Steering Damper Installation questions?

I just received my steering damper for my 2011 IS250 F Sport and have two installation questions:

1. When you disconnect the negative battery connector can the airbagl somehow be activated and explode?

2. I can see two connectors on the back of the airbag and one black ground wire. The two plastic connectors are really hard to remove. Is that normal? Any tips on how to pull them off?

Thank you for sharing any feedback.
Ron ---
Old 12-29-14, 04:28 PM
JdSwiper
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use a flat head.. Stick it between the plastic connector and the airbag and pop out! The connectors are L shipped plugs.. Here's a how to video..
http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2009/2123.html
Old 12-29-14, 09:10 PM
rwseattle
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for sharing the connector removal tip. The video skips past the connector removal process and wasn't sure what they used to snap them off. Thanks.
Old 12-30-14, 08:18 PM
rwseattle
Driver School Candidate

Default Installed steering damper, connector tip.

I have installed my steering damper successfully and the only thing I like to point out during the installation is the removal of the orange and black airbag connectors. You need to lift-up the little square release button on top of the connector. When its dark in the vehicle it's difficult to see and this will help removing the connector easily. See pictures.
Attached Thumbnails Steering Damper?-img_1385.jpg   Steering Damper?-img_1386_2.jpg   Steering Damper?-img_1383_2.jpg   Steering Damper?-img_1381.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
buister (03-04-17)
Old 01-02-15, 02:22 PM
rwseattle
Driver School Candidate

Default Great Mod

I have been driving with my new steering damper for the last two days and It's a great mod and a very low cost upgrade worth doing. It's not as useful in the city but on the highway It's so much better.

Last edited by rwseattle; 01-03-15 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-24-15, 07:13 PM
Iceberg71
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by valeoray
there is no more vibrations from the road especially when you go over imperfections, bumps, or manhole covers. [/IMG][/URL]
I must live on another planet. Our 09 IS250AWD is so devoid of steering feel, I can't imagine wanting to make it even more numb with a steering damper. The IS steering is paradoxically heavy but the effort feels artificial and communicates next to nothing. Furthermore there is too large a dead spot in the center before the steering has any effect.

The road surface sends very valuable information to the driver. Filtering even more vibration from the steering wheel requires the driver to use only visual reference steering instead of tactile reference steering. Numb is less safe. One of the hallmarks of a responsive car is the "tingle" (mild vibration) in the controls. It's called feedback.

Last edited by Iceberg71; 03-24-15 at 07:23 PM.
Old 03-25-15, 08:52 AM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceberg71
I must live on another planet. Our 09 IS250AWD is so devoid of steering feel, I can't imagine wanting to make it even more numb with a steering damper. The IS steering is paradoxically heavy but the effort feels artificial and communicates next to nothing. Furthermore there is too large a dead spot in the center before the steering has any effect.

The road surface sends very valuable information to the driver. Filtering even more vibration from the steering wheel requires the driver to use only visual reference steering instead of tactile reference steering. Numb is less safe. One of the hallmarks of a responsive car is the "tingle" (mild vibration) in the controls. It's called feedback.
ISF steering ECU + Steering damper = awesome steering

Seriously, night and day difference.
Old 03-28-15, 11:18 PM
scorpionge
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

id only need the isf ecu.. but its not like im dying on it as i have a 250.. but i bet it should be way different
Old 07-07-16, 05:35 PM
MAizz
Lead Lap

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

looks like I am reviving an old thread but hopefully someone has a quick answer to keep my from taking my airbag out.

i was looking to get the steering damper as a cheap mod that maybe has some benefit for the ride quality. I have a 2012 350 AWD, does my car come with this installed already? it sounded like that was the case but just wanted to double check before ordering.
Old 07-08-16, 05:27 AM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MAizz
looks like I am reviving an old thread but hopefully someone has a quick answer to keep my from taking my airbag out.

i was looking to get the steering damper as a cheap mod that maybe has some benefit for the ride quality. I have a 2012 350 AWD, does my car come with this installed already? it sounded like that was the case but just wanted to double check before ordering.
The steering damper is from an IS-F. So if you don't have an IS-F, then you don't have it.
Old 07-08-16, 08:39 AM
MAizz
Lead Lap

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by istarzan
The steering damper is from an IS-F. So if you don't have an IS-F, then you don't have it.
Originally Posted by Sewell
...just learned the steering wheel (shake) damper is now factory equipped on the AWD IS350 for 2011.
...just looking to clarify, I can take the airbag out if need be...

Quick Reply: Steering Damper?