IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

For those of us with factory sport pedals.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-10, 06:46 PM
Keppie
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those of us with factory sport pedals.

I wonder how Lexus will come up for a fix for our pedals? They are cutting rubber off ES pedals to shorten the length. Cutting our pedals would look horrible.
Old 02-15-10, 10:39 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Keppie
I wonder how Lexus will come up for a fix for our pedals? They are cutting rubber off ES pedals to shorten the length. Cutting our pedals would look horrible.
Thing is, if you use the correct floor mats, properly installed, there is no problem.

Hence they're not touching my pedals, regardless of what 'fix' they come up with.
Old 02-15-10, 11:55 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Keppie
explain please, whats wrong with our pedals? are you talking about the ES or the IS? cuz theres nothing wrong with our pedals...
Old 02-16-10, 05:13 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
explain please, whats wrong with our pedals? are you talking about the ES or the IS? cuz theres nothing wrong with our pedals...
The same recall applies to both cars. Lexus mailed letters to owners.

It's the "floormat recall" where an idiot dealer installed RX floormats, without hooking them in, in an ES350, which then got stuck under the gas pedal and the driver and his family died because the driver was apparently unaware what 'neutral' does on a car.

So Lexus issues a "recall" requiring a bunch of completely unneeded steps that included at various points- shaving the padding under the carpet below the gas pedal, cutting the accelerator pedal, and, I **** you not, zip tying the floormats in place.

None of which is needed at all if you just use the correct floormats and the hooks.

Supposedly they're going to be issuing dealers replacement pedals that are pre-shortened from the mfg. in the spring so they won't have to keep cutting the stock ones at that point.

Regardless, I'm not letting em touch my pedals, carpet, or anything else since there's nothing actually wrong with any of them.

(note this is NOT the toyota gas pedal recall- that's an entirely separate issue that doesn't impact Lexus vehicles at all)
Old 02-16-10, 07:37 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what's really happening at the dealer with the IS sport pedals these days?
Old 02-16-10, 12:36 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Hence they're not touching my pedals, regardless of what 'fix' they come up with.
Same here!
Old 02-16-10, 01:30 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Thing is, if you use the correct floor mats, properly installed, there is no problem.

couldn't have said it better myself ...
Old 02-16-10, 02:21 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Agreed, not touching my sport pedals.

I think I will swing by my dealer (in my Jeep) and ask them what they actually do today on IS350's with sport package pedals.
Old 02-16-10, 02:27 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

umm... i took that recall *floormat* letter and threw it away AND it has nothing to do with our pedals, this thread suggests otherwise... this topic is a non-issue...

again:
Originally Posted by llamaboiz
cuz theres nothing wrong with our pedals...
Old 02-16-10, 04:48 PM
amoney805
Pole Position

Been wanting to get sport pedals but Im waiting to see what the dealers plans are with them. However I am 99% sure that it was never a floor mat issue more of a computer issue. Just my 2cents.
Old 02-16-10, 05:24 PM
BADFNZ
Rookie

I just bought an '06 IS350 w/ the Sport package, but the floormat anchors were missing. I swung by the Lexus dealership to see if they would give me the anchors, considering the floormat issue, but the guy said I'd have to buy them. Oh well, I don't care that much. Even if they're $.69.
Old 02-16-10, 06:01 PM
Keppie
Lead Lap

Floor mat was the preliminary guess on the ES and IS. On the ES they are modifying the carpeted area beneath the gas pedal and cutting a small amount off the rubber pedal. They are also installing an override system so if gas and brake pedals are pressed at the same time the brake pedal will override the gas. The IS remedy has not been announced. Don't be surprised if they do the same. If I didn't have sport pedals I would not care. The problem is deeper than a floor mat.
Old 02-16-10, 06:54 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

The case that causes all this BS was one idiot dealer who installed RX400 floormats in an ES350.

The mat caused the gas pedal to get stuck. The driver apparently didn't know what "N" on his gear shifter did. He and his family were tragically killed as a result, and since it got recorded on a 911 call it got a ton of press.

Hence Lexus issued a recall to address the "issue" of floormats getting the accelerator stuck, despite the fact the real "issue" was using the wrong floormats.

The "fix" has been evolving but has included zip ties on the floormats, shaving the carpet pad under the gas pedal, and cutting the bottom part of the pedal itself. Supposedly Lexus was going to produce "shortened" pedals as replacements so the dealers could stop hacking up the stock pedals themselves too.

That is the only issue known regarding acceleration issues on any current Lexus vehicle.

This is NOT the same issue as the "gas pedal recall" impacting toyotas which use a problem gas pedal on american made cars (and zero lexus cars because they're not built in the US and don't use that part)

Every time someone nebulously posts "but I'm sure there's REALLY some deeper problem" without anything whatsoever to back it up I keep waiting for them to go on and tell me how the moon landings were faked and their dad is really the one who shot JFK.
Old 02-16-10, 06:56 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Anybody had their IS250/IS350 in the shop lately, and what was the "fix" (as it's evolved-to-date) that they did to your car?
Old 02-16-10, 06:58 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 117 Likes on 44 Posts

I hope they discontinue the sport pedals so i can pick some up cheap

Quick Reply: For those of us with factory sport pedals.