IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Clear bra question???

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-10, 01:51 AM
SilvaIS350
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Clear bra question???

Thinking about getting clear bra and i was wondering how long do they last and will it turn yellow in the long run and will it harm the paint? for example when removing the clear bra off the car will it take the paint with it? also with the clear bra does the car still shine with bra on? anybody have pics with bra on for couple years? thanks
Old 01-28-10, 07:24 AM
OutCaster
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can probably the answers in a search. how long they last and whether they turn yellow depends on the brand of film you install I believe. they shouldn't harm the paint if taken off properly. car still shines with the bra, but i believe it still depends on which film you put on.
Old 01-28-10, 07:44 AM
YoungMoney
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car has a 3M clear bra on it. Installed by "pros", and it's been on the car since 2006.
On the front bumper, half of the hood, front lip, mirrors, rear bumper and rear quarter panel edges.

Looks great, no yellowing, no peeling and it damn sure has saved the front part of my hood some nice chips (and not baked lays).
Old 01-28-10, 08:34 AM
rebs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SilvaIS350
Thinking about getting clear bra and i was wondering how long do they last and will it turn yellow in the long run and will it harm the paint? for example when removing the clear bra off the car will it take the paint with it? also with the clear bra does the car still shine with bra on? anybody have pics with bra on for couple years? thanks
As someone else mentioned, there is a lot of data on this topic already (across multiple threads).

3M originally had some issues (including yellowing), but I believe it's been resolved for a few years. After I did some research, I went with VentureShield. I had it installed by a local company here in Idaho and they did a pretty good job.

If I was in California, I probably would have called Aerotect and got a quote from them. They are an approved installer/reseller, and they've had amazing customer service on the few products I've purchased from them.

Here's their info: http://www.aerotect.net/Contact-Us.html

Good luck with whatever you decide.

(Regarding your other questions: It does not take the paint off your car - I can vouch for that personally. The car shines pretty good, and you usually don't even notice the clear bra from a few feet away. In my opinion, it's definitely worth it!)

Last edited by rebs; 01-28-10 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-28-10, 09:16 AM
HeartmyIS
Lexus Champion

It lasts a few years, there is no UV ray protection in the film so upon removing it later on...your paint will be the same color as the rest of the car. As mentioned it depends on what brand film you use, the most popular ones are 3m and Ventureshield which will not turn yellow overtime from the sun or other harsh weather conditions.
Old 01-28-10, 09:51 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

VentureShield has a lifetime warrenty. Mine is 4 years old and it still look GREAT, no yellowing. Check out this demo;

http://www.automotivepaintprotection.com/

The most important thing to make sure of is that the installer is very experienced. The IS has the highest/hardest install rating (5), which requires an installer with a lot of experience. If the Stealer uses a Lexus employee to install, I would recommend not using them. I was lucky to find an installer that has been doing this for long time and is great at it. Also, the Stealer will charge more.

I had the whole front end done including the headlights, fogs, fenders and spoiler. Also important is that the bra has as few pieces as possible. My whole front end is two pieces. I also had the mirrors, door handle wells, wheel well openings, rocker panels, gas door (below) and rear bumper. I had 24 inches up the hood, with a bikini cut. You can have the whole hood done if you would like.

Koz
Old 01-28-10, 03:51 PM
gahagan
Driver School Candidate

I have one that was installed by the factory when I bought it. It is an 08 I really hate the thing. It gets dirt around the edges that is a pain to clean off it is starting to peel and apparently something hit my bumper and cut the fil and dirt get stuck in it as well. I dont like it at all. I want to know how simple it is to remove it. If someone knows that let me know.
Old 01-28-10, 04:20 PM
AeroTect
Former Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SilvaIS350
Hi Silva, if you are near us, we can help. Give us a call or drop a message if you want more info.

Otherwise, we would be more than happy to help you find an installer in your area.