IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus Order Tracking... or lack there of?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-10, 05:05 PM
RXSwoosh
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus Order Tracking... or lack there of?

It's been a while since i posted, but always enjoy reading the posts... Hoping to get more information about the Lexus ordering process. Long story short, I ordered an IS350C from a dealership in California recommended by a friend. Ordered out of state since I am not crazy about the local dealership sales practices, even though their after purchase service is great. Also, I understand California gets a better allocation.

Anyway, its been over 8 weeks and the sales person cannot give me any additional information other than the order was completed. He says he wont know anything more until he sees it show up in their allocation and then once he sees that, it shows up at the dealership about 2 weeks later. No other order tracking is possible, he can't give a final price since he is not exactly sure on what f-sport accessories will be put on at the factory vs the dock vs the dealership. He says it is cheaper from factory, then from dock, and most expensive if installed at the dealership. (F-sport accessories - 19in wheels, front and rear sway stabilizer, shocks, and lowering springs). You may be asking, why did I need to order? He indicated he tried to find a dealer swap, was unable to find match and said one option (parking assist/roof retraction obstacle sensor) was not being put on cars in the west coast allocations, only the east coast allocations.

I tried to put down a deposit and he said that was unnecessary. He said if I didn't want it once it arrived, he would put on the showroom floor and it would be gone in a couple of days.

I want to trust the sales rep, but my natural instinct is that he may not be fully forthcoming? Has anyone else had a similar ordering experience or can anyone provide information that contradicts what I am being told?
Old 01-20-10, 06:47 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

No, that's about right.

I special ordered mine, about 2 months later the dealer told me it was on the boat headed over and I'd have it in about 2 weeks...and 2 weeks later there it was. He had no info in-between. Some folks have reported up to 3.5-4 months to get theirs, though mine was only 2.5 months.

The only odd part of his story is not knowing the price... I had an exact # the day I placed the order agreed on with the guy I bought it from. I didn't get any F-sport parts though as they hadn't come out yet... apart from the shocks and springs though everything else on your list can be installed in 1-2 hours total no matter where it's done.

But of the options I did get (ML without Nav, Sport package, and XM) the dealer knew up front which options were factory installed (everything but XM) and which were port installed (XM).
Old 01-20-10, 08:48 PM
RXSwoosh
Rookie

Thanks Kurz... It just all sounded a bit strange with such a customer oriented company. BMW provides updates at every step in the process. I was very surprised when they wouldn't take a deposit and a bit concerned that they might sell it out from under me.

Hopefully, it wont be one of the 3.5 to 4 month deals... He actually said originally that he hoped to see it in about 6 weeks. Appreciate the response!
Old 01-21-10, 10:57 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Special Order and NO deposit sounds strange to me...

Also, you should consider buying all your F-Sport parts separately..
The GB prices on here are unbeatable..

Plus, you will save a ton of money and you will have your oem parts to switch back to if you ever sell your car.

Regards,
Joe Z
Old 01-21-10, 02:13 PM
RXSwoosh
Rookie

yes, it sounded strange to me too, but I figured the only thing at risk will be time in getting the car I want. The weather isn't that great right now anyway so if the deal goes south, I just saved $$ towards the car I get a bit later.

I'll see what he comes back with on the accessories, but honestly, my preference is to not have the OEM parts. I am just not the type to try to store them and then deal with the time and expense of re-installing when I sell. I usually keep my vehicles for a long time anyway. Appreciate your thoughts!
Old 01-21-10, 07:35 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Well, I didn't have to put down a deposit on my special order, but I got introduced to my salesperson by a buddy at work who had previously bought 3 other cars from him over the years so that might be why.
Old 01-22-10, 08:55 AM
RXSwoosh
Rookie

I was also referred to this sales person/dealership as well. My friend however never special ordered and didn't know the process. Just getting a little anxious without having some type of ETA. Hoping the car is also worth the wait as the time makes me wonder whether the BMW or Infiniti might worth investigating a bit more.
Old 01-25-10, 01:16 PM
RXSwoosh
Rookie

Update - Did get a call from the sales rep today who said that the car is complete and being shipped...should see it sometime during the last two weeks of feb.

Joe Z - May need to check out the GB's since he is fumbling around now with how to get the F-Sport accessories... He doesn't seem to have ever done this before. At first glance, I didn't see the F-Sport parts in the group buy section, but will continue to look.

Also noticed the Lexus Website has changed when you do "Build your own." There is only one luxury package option and it doesn't include ML.... Still shows as available option in another section, but doesn't look like it is part of a package any longer.
Old 01-25-10, 02:08 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by RXSwoosh
Update - Did get a call from the sales rep today who said that the car is complete and being shipped...should see it sometime during the last two weeks of feb.

Joe Z - May need to check out the GB's since he is fumbling around now with how to get the F-Sport accessories... He doesn't seem to have ever done this before. At first glance, I didn't see the F-Sport parts in the group buy section, but will continue to look.

Also noticed the Lexus Website has changed when you do "Build your own." There is only one luxury package option and it doesn't include ML.... Still shows as available option in another section, but doesn't look like it is part of a package any longer.
Well thats Good News..!!

Did he confirm all the Price & Factory Equipped Options for you??
NAV & ML Combo and Park Assist, if I read correctly. (excluding F-Sport parts)

The "Build your own" is usually zip code specific..

That idea goes out the door when your creating a "Special Order" Lexus..
Exterior / Interior Color and Factory Installed Equipement that you want.
(not Port or Dealer installs)

Joe Z
Old 01-26-10, 06:44 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RXSwoosh

Yeah, ML has never been part of the Luxury package.

ML is available either:
By itself
With nav

That's it.

The "build your own" by zip isn't a real custom order system, it just lets you pick between cars as they're pre-optioned for your local area.
Old 01-26-10, 04:19 PM
JaxIS250
Driver

RXSWOOSH.....I can help you hopefully.

See if you can get the VIN number from the salesperson, and I will be able to help you and give you some more details on the car than he can. I work for TMS (Toyota Motor Sales) in Jacksonville, FL. We get the ships from Japan in to Jacksonville.

Try to get me the VIN, and I can tell you when it's arriving, what ship it is on, what is on it, etc.

Thanks!
Old 02-02-10, 12:14 PM
RXSwoosh
Rookie

I did finally get a final price and it did come it in at about where we had originally discussed it. Feeling pretty comfortable. Great price that included all options and f-sport accessories I requested. The arrival to port has been determined (feb 11-18) and Lexus Financing has dropped to 4.5%. Trucking car from Cali to Washingon also included at a fair price. As long as things continue on this course, I am going to be very happy!

Interesting note that the salesperson volunteered... Lexus "fines" their dealership $900 for every car they sell out of state... This is to try to curtail higher allocation states/regions from selling cheaper and drawing customers away from their local dealership... Oregon, Washington and Idaho were the biggest complainers to Lexus and prompted this. Even with this $900 extra charge, I am doing way better than what I could do here locally.

Jaz, appreciate your offer to help. The car will be unloaded at a port near LA and I don't have a VIN yet... Would you still be able to find out when it is to arrive if I was able to get the VIN?

If all continues to go well, I would definitely recommend this dealership if somone PM'd me.