IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Late model '08 IS - Smart card programming

Old 01-14-10, 04:40 PM
IZZO2FIZZO
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rebs
1. Well it does specifically say the 2008 IS should have a different part number, so at the very least...it's confusing. (http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/par....asp?id=187179)

3. They said "it's either the wrong part or it's defective", so I didn't know which direction to go (get different part # or replacement part). I e-mailed Sewell for advice. They still haven't responded either. Again, I don't have any other Lexus dealerships in the area. I have 1 other Toyota dealership and they were confused about how to program Smart Cards (and reading another thread I guess that's common).
maybe this will clear things up a bit. maybe i should have said that i work at lexus in the parts dept. this picture is from our parts catalog system.
Programming a smart card key is the same as the regular smart key transmitter, i havent seen toyota do one but it should be the same as their smart key system.

so if you have this infront of u and ur local dealer cant program it something is wrong with the card.

Old 01-14-10, 04:44 PM
molexGS400
Rookie

Was you car purchased in Hawaii? Frequency / part number for the key would be different than a mainland purchased car. I have also seen brand new keys not program because they were bad.
Old 01-14-10, 06:44 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IZZO2FIZZO
maybe this will clear things up a bit. maybe i should have said that i work at lexus in the parts dept. this picture is from our parts catalog system.
Programming a smart card key is the same as the regular smart key transmitter, i havent seen toyota do one but it should be the same as their smart key system.

so if you have this infront of u and ur local dealer cant program it something is wrong with the card.
Yes, that does help a lot, thanks! I appreciate you researching that for me!

I talked the Toyota dealership into trying to program it tomorrow, and if it doesn't work I'm going to send it back to Sewell and get a refund or replacement (depending on whether or not they ever respond to me).
Old 01-14-10, 06:48 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by molexGS400
Was you car purchased in Hawaii? Frequency / part number for the key would be different than a mainland purchased car. I have also seen brand new keys not program because they were bad.
No, I purchased it new here in Idaho (unless it was imported from Hawaii somehow).

Is there anyway to confirm whether or not a key is bad other then it not accepting programming?
Old 01-15-10, 02:15 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

Quick Update: I went to the Toyota Dealership today. They were *not* able to make it work either.

Some good news: I did finally get an e-mail from Sewell today! Woohoo! My biggest problem with this issue has been feeling completely ignored (not even an acknowledgment of my e-mails), so hopefully this gets the ball rolling towards a resolution.

Here's the e-mail from Sewell (I don't think Darrell would mind me sharing this info & maybe some other Lexus techs might have some experience/insight too):
I can see the problem. By your VIN our electronic parts catalog filters the available SMART card specifically to the 50480 key – the one I myself interpret to apply to the 2009 to 2010 IS models. The production date of your IS250 (should say IS350) is August of 2008. This is on the cusp of being considered either year model – 2008 or 2009 (depends on the serial number sequence of your VIN). My parts catalog calls your IS a 2008 model yet is referring to the specific SMART card part to the 2009 model. This is where you local dealer directed you to the 50480 part number, then followed by our confirmation.

As a bit of a side note – not to confuse this anymore – see the attached PDF file (not attached here) and see the small asterisk next to the 89904C smart card part code. This asterisk I have now noticed shows it applies to the GSE20.ATM only. This is a IS250 automatic transmission only. You have a GSE21. If the schematic is correct, then the SMART card would not apply to the IS350 (or the manual transmission IS250). I find this rather odd.

Since Lexus technicians are intelligent I could only concede to the notion they could not program the SMART card you have. In lieu of this, our only other option would be to use the 89904-50641-RK from your original order. Would you like me to ship you this one and see where we land?

Last edited by rebs; 01-15-10 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-15-10, 02:39 PM
OutCaster
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rebs
Quick Update: I went to the Toyota Dealership today. They were *not* able to make it work either.

Some good news: I did get finally get an e-mail from Sewell today! Woohoo! My biggest problem with this issue has been feeling completely ignored (not even an acknowledgment of my e-mails), so hopefully this gets the ball rolling towards a resolution.

Here's the e-mail from Sewell (I don't think Darrell would mind me sharing this info & maybe some other Lexus techs might have some experience/insight too):
I can see the problem. By your VIN our electronic parts catalog filters the available SMART card specifically to the 50480 key – the one I myself interpret to apply to the 2009 to 2010 IS models. The production date of your IS250 (should say IS350) is August of 2008. This is on the cusp of being considered either year model – 2008 or 2009 (depends on the serial number sequence of your VIN). My parts catalog calls your IS a 2008 model yet is referring to the specific SMART card part to the 2009 model. This is where you local dealer directed you to the 50480 part number, then followed by our confirmation.

As a bit of a side note – not to confuse this anymore – see the attached PDF file (not attached here) and see the small asterisk next to the 89904C smart card part code. This asterisk I have now noticed shows it applies to the GSE20.ATM only. This is a IS250 automatic transmission only. You have a GSE21. If the schematic is correct, then the SMART card would not apply to the IS350 (or the manual transmission IS250). I find this rather odd.

Since Lexus technicians are intelligent I could only concede to the notion they could not program the SMART card you have. In lieu of this, our only other option would be to use the 89904-50641-RK from your original order. Would you like me to ship you this one and see where we land?
Sounds like pretty good customer service from that email.
Old 01-15-10, 02:55 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by OutCaster
Sounds like pretty good customer service from that email.
A big step forward. As long as we can get the ball rolling, I'm willing to try almost anything...
Old 01-15-10, 07:26 PM
Dble Agent
Pole Position

Can anyone tell me which part number would work in the 08 IS-F?
Old 01-15-10, 07:30 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Dble Agent
Can anyone tell me which part number would work in the 08 IS-F?
that would help too! ive been searching online for a comparable smart card access for the IS F, but obviously to no resolution as of yet. any information will help greatly. thanks!
Old 01-15-10, 07:33 PM
soupdawg
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same card for is350 works on isf. get 89904-50641-RK
Old 01-20-10, 02:39 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

cant go wrong with sewell....GL
Old 01-20-10, 07:50 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kickin8
cant go wrong with sewell....GL
Thanks!

Sewell has been great from a sales perspective. I haven't had my car a year yet, and I've ordered over 1k of equipment from them, and it's been reasonably priced (for Lexus parts) and received in a timely fashion.

To be frank...from a support aspect, it's been a little rough. I had to get corporate involved just to get any kind of response on this issue (previously when I contacted them I would get a response within 24 hours). /sigh

On a positive note, Sewell did ship me a different key, which should be here Monday. I expect to have an update on this issue next week, and perhaps it'll be helpful for people who find themselves in a similar situation in the future...
Old 01-26-10, 07:01 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

Update - Day 26 (from order date):

I got the other wallet key (different part number for 06-08 IS's) yesterday. Had a service appointment today. The new key works. Yay! Still not overly excited I had to contact Lexus Corp before either my local dealership or Sewell would respond to my e-mail, but on a positive note it's resolved now.

I'm not sure what the moral of the story is...other then your VIN does not always bring up the proper part numbers. ...and perhaps consider a local dealership if getting something that needs immediate programming?

Also I asked about the "floor mat issue", and was told they are going to resolve it in March, but Toyota also recalled a bunch of cars today, so that might affect some dealership scheduling (like mine which handles Toyota and Lexus). Here's what I've been told the fix is. They are grinding down the pedal (to make it smaller) and replacing the padding under the carpet with something slimmer (to create more room between the pedal and the carpet, so they don't catch). He also said they were updating the ECU and that if you press the brake and the accelerator at the same time...the accelerator would cut out (within certain speed restrictions, etc.). He was nice and forth coming, and he said the grounded down pedal looked good....but I don't really like the sound of this "fix".
Old 01-26-10, 10:18 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

im glad to hear that your situation was resolved. in the end, even though you had to go through corporate, lexus gives its customers pretty good service. did they have to take the car to the service bay, or could they just sync the car with the wallet key right when you drive up for service?
Old 01-26-10, 11:12 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
im glad to hear that your situation was resolved. in the end, even though you had to go through corporate, lexus gives its customers pretty good service. did they have to take the car to the service bay, or could they just sync the car with the wallet key right when you drive up for service?
I don't think the service was very good for Lexus. I think the story earlier today (in a different thread) about Lexus replacing a tranny for free even though it was probably due to a previous non-Lexus service was pretty amazing service.

Having said that, I'm moving on and hoping for amazing service in the future.

To answer your question...yes I did have to take it to service. I waited about an hour, but there was another car ahead of me too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Late model '08 IS - Smart card programming