IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

A-Hole keyed our car

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-09, 07:58 AM
jah1226
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A-Hole keyed our car

Someone keyed my wifes car over the holidays on the rear door. Scratch is just too deep to buff out. This is a 2007 that is Matador Red Mica with less than 30,000 miles on it. I am very concerned that the shop will never be able to match the paint correctly, so are there any owners of this color that have had to have any paint work done. What was your results on the repair/paint. This car has been garage kept and has never seen the rain/snow. We live in the Richmond, Va. area. Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 12-28-09, 09:32 AM
allst4r
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try putting this in the regional section of the forum.
Old 12-28-09, 09:35 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ur insurance cant cover it?
Old 12-28-09, 09:41 AM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 i think you sould try and have insuance take care of it. and i got side swiped a few months back and the paint work came out nice, but im in socal so being able to tell who to go to would be a shot in the dark, good luck gewtting it taken care of tho
Old 12-28-09, 10:26 AM
gotis1000
Rookie

usually the dealers will know who can do their paint work the best to make the car come out looking good. i've gone once with maaco and it was absolute *****, and then I used a dealer recommended person and i was amazed. every paint has a formula and i'm sure you're dealer will be able to assist with this. that sucks... my worst fear too is someone jealous screwing up my car.
Old 12-28-09, 11:22 AM
Cobra19
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jah1226
Someone keyed my wifes car over the holidays on the rear door. Scratch is just too deep to buff out. This is a 2007 that is Matador Red Mica with less than 30,000 miles on it. I am very concerned that the shop will never be able to match the paint correctly, so are there any owners of this color that have had to have any paint work done. What was your results on the repair/paint. This car has been garage kept and has never seen the rain/snow. We live in the Richmond, Va. area. Thanks in advance for any input.

Wow that sucks man! is it only on one door? if so that makes life 10 times easier. how deep is the scratch? I would take it to some buffing shops because even thought it's pretty deep they "MIGHT" be able to use some intensive polish to smooth out the surface. Give it a shot
Old 12-28-09, 12:06 PM
jah1226
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the replies. You guys are quick. I do intend to run the repair thru the insurance co. Like everyone on this forum, I am very particular about any paint work that will be done to the car. I have had many red cars in the past,and know that it is very difficult to match properly. I will let you know how this turns out. Thanks
Old 12-28-09, 12:20 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gotis1000
usually the dealers will know who can do their paint work the best to make the car come out looking good. i've gone once with maaco and it was absolute *****, and then I used a dealer recommended person and i was amazed. every paint has a formula and i'm sure you're dealer will be able to assist with this. that sucks... my worst fear too is someone jealous screwing up my car.
Agreed, I had my dealer steer me to a body shop with excellent results on my SGM IS350.

Sorry about the damage, terrible thing to do.
Old 12-28-09, 12:22 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I also have a 07 mrm. I had to have my bumper replaced after my friends neighbor backed into me... Body shop matched the paint perfectly. (sf area though...)

Remember mrm paint code is 3R1
Old 12-28-09, 04:29 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by gotis1000
i agree. major fear. especially those attacking shopping carts that mysteriously gain speed and crash right into nice rides. i hate it when haters think they can gain some sort of advantage by keying someone's car. totally disrespectful, and karma will bite them eventually-and i hope with no mercy.

as far as a paint job, ask the dealer. paint or a mismatch of paint is something you dont want to skimp on. sure cost comes into play, but id rather pay more to have the entire car painted with singularity in terms of a color formula than a color that just slightly doesnt look right.
Old 12-28-09, 04:33 PM
trixxx519
Lexus Test Driver

post some pictures and let us know how it came out
Old 12-28-09, 11:04 PM
kslater
Driver

Ohh I am sorry for the damage. I know exactly how it feels. My previous car, a 07 Black Mercedes C230 got keyed last Nov. Someone took a key from the hood and walked all the way around the car. It happened overnight and the morning I walked out and saw the damage, I was an emotional mess, I got weak in the knees, severely pissed off. I did nothing to anyone, no ex-girl friend drama, none of that stuff. Anyways, insurance fixed it, cost was over $6000 but I had it repaired at the body shop owned by the dealer (penske automotive) It came out perfect but I think they painted the whole car in my case. Good luck!

Last edited by kslater; 12-28-09 at 11:08 PM.
Old 12-28-09, 11:14 PM
ES BL155
Pole Position

i don't think you'll have a problem with the paint matching. the key is to get a reputable good body shop. i've had a lot of body work done to a few on my cars including my rx and the paint came out perfect. they'll repair the affected area and sometimes paint areas around it and buff it all together. reputable shops will make it right until you are satisfied. just don't take it to a maaco.
Old 12-29-09, 12:00 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

If this happened at home I'd find out who would hate you so much to do this before getting it painted.
Old 12-30-09, 09:43 PM
CapitalisT
Driver

Originally Posted by jah1226
Painting should be fine, I had a Lowe's flatbed cart magically run into the side of my rear passengers side door and it left a quarter sized dent, needless to say the whole side of the car was repainted at 40k miles and looked fine.

Quick Reply: A-Hole keyed our car