IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

DIY Carbon Fiber Overlay with Trim Removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-09, 10:26 PM
YooNiBaLL
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Carbon Fiber Overlay with Trim Removal

Hey guys, going to do my first DIY. It is very long and has lots of pictures. So yeah. Hope this helps!

Supplies:
Pre-cut Carbon fiber overlay. ($70 from Aerotect)
Screw driver
Something to cut with (If you order from Aerotect, they give you a box cutter for free)

Before anything, unhook the battery in the car.

First remove the console. Turn the shift **** counter clockwise.

Next, take off the two silver trim pieces around the center console. For me, I used a flat head and wedged it underneath to loosen it and then pulled it off. It is held on by simple clips.

Then pull up on the console from the sides. It is held on by clips. It should look like this after you do it. (You can also slide the top of the ashtray and stick your fingers underneath the center console wood trim to pull up)

Unhook these two cords as picture below.

Next, take out the ashtray lid by unscrewing the two screws that is holding the whole ashtray unit in place. I don't have a picture of the screws but they are clearly visible. Pull that out, and unhook the cord from this unit also.

Now on the ashtray unit, look for these two clips. Pull them towards you gently and at the same time, pull on the trim piece. It will easily come out. Do not pull two hard or you may break off the clips.

Now take the entire center console and the trim piece from the ashtray unit indoors and begin to work on the door trim pieces.

Take a flathead and wrap it with something thin and soft to prevent damage of the leather. Wedge it in there on the ends of the trim piece. It is held on by clips and is fairly easy to loosen up. Becareful not to jab the wedge into the leather.
Then pull out the trim piece and unscrew the appropriate screws. It should look like this after you pull out the appropriate (longer) screws holding the electrical cords and window buttons.

Then unscrew the remaining tiny four screws holding the plastic pieces.

Now move onto the passenger side. Do the same and pop off the trim. It should look like this underneath. Remove all the appropriate screws. There are no long screws on this side and will only require removal of three small screws. You may choose to remove the cords connected to the trim before unscrewing the screws if you want.

To take off the teal colored unit in the passenger side trim, use something to push the hinge inwards on both sides and pull out. Here are the hinges. There are two, one on both sides.

Now move to the back and follow the same procedure to pop off the trim pieces. Unhook the cord and take off the three small screws holding the buttons in place. It should look like this before removing the screws.

You may do exactly the same thing with the other side in the back.

Now to prepare the center console for the overlay, you must remove the units attached to it. Before removal, it looks like this. You want to take off every screw holding it in place.

After, move to this part of the unit and use the same method as before and release the hinges holding this unit in place. Here is what I am talking about.

Removing these components, you should be left with just the chrome trim. Take a flat head and pop off the red/brown things that are holding the chrome trim in place.

After removing the chrome trim, the console should look like this.

Now this is where the overlays come in. I don't have pictures of me putting the overlays on but I have some tips when doing this section.

1. Use a blowdryer or heatgun to heat up the overlay if it starts to lose its stickiness.
2. Laying down the trim faced down with the sticky side up and taking your trim and laying it straight down on to the overlay is an easy way to do this. It is easy to do this for door trims but not so much the center console.
3. Make sure that the overlay wraps around trim where it is visible to the eye. Other areas may be removed with a boxcutter.

After doing all the trim pieces, here is how mine turned out.

As you can see, the pre-cut wasn't PERFECT but I am not too good with this overlay stuff so you will see some exposed areas. However, I must note that I couldn't do anything for this section.

Here are some more pictures to wrap it up.

I must note that from some angles, the trim is visible on the center console. However, it still looks very nice.

To conclude, I would say the overlay itself has a nice texture to it. They did a great job in the pre-cut I think. It has nice color to it and makes my interior look much better. Even my mom said it looked nice, which is very rare for her to even notice a mod. Well that's it guys! Enjoy!

You can PM me with any questions if you would like! Thanks!
Old 12-17-09, 10:40 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

very nice, not bad from someone whos 'not too good with the overlay stuff', not bad at all
Old 12-17-09, 10:51 PM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks sick man, job well done!!
Old 12-17-09, 10:56 PM
HeartmyIS
Lexus Champion

Looks nice =) good job!
Old 12-17-09, 11:03 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Nicely done!
Old 12-17-09, 11:29 PM
MotoX
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't need to remove the chrome trim for center console. Because it not wrap around those part.
Old 12-17-09, 11:41 PM
file82
Driver

do you feel the new CF surface hard to clean?
Old 12-17-09, 11:43 PM
YooNiBaLL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by file82
do you feel the new CF surface hard to clean?
the surface is definitely not hard to clean. it is vinyl i think so it should be cleaned like a vinyl surface. i really don't know how to maintain it though.
Old 12-18-09, 12:31 AM
HeartmyIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by YooNiBaLL
the surface is definitely not hard to clean. it is vinyl i think so it should be cleaned like a vinyl surface. i really don't know how to maintain it though.
I just had my window pillars wrapped in CF vinyl. I already have like a mark on it, tried to clean it wouldn't come off. Not sure how to clean it either.
Old 12-18-09, 01:03 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

nah i begged the diff, i've seen and felt the over lay from cf, its ok not nearly as good as the nefty wrap. by the way the nefty wrap very easy to clean and has the texture feel to it,
Old 12-18-09, 02:10 AM
YooNiBaLL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by blitz_714
nah i begged the diff, i've seen and felt the over lay from cf, its ok not nearly as good as the nefty wrap. by the way the nefty wrap very easy to clean and has the texture feel to it,
not trying to start a neffy wrap vs aerotect cf but the overlays from aerotect definitely have feel to them. they look nice too. i dont really care for either, as long as i got it on my trim
Old 12-18-09, 07:11 AM
aznpapaya
Lead Lap

Andrew, how did you get the cup holder lid off? that's the only part im stuck at.
Old 12-18-09, 08:27 AM
IS-K
Driver School Candidate

First off thanks YooNiBaLL for doing this nice write up! Very nice and detailed! Just have a quick question with regards to the exposed trim areas:

Besides the heat/cooling seat dial area, cup holder lid, where else do you see the overlay not fully covering the woodtrim underneath?

I was thinking to cover those areas up with either a black permanent marker or something other members with more experience can suggest to eliminate the red from the woodtrim showing through.

What do you think about that idea? Would it turn out better in your experience?

Thanks again
Old 12-18-09, 10:39 AM
AeroTect
Former Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks for putting this together. Should help people with their own installs.

As far as maintenance, water is good for cleaning, just be gentle on any exposed edges. You should also use something like plexus or mcguires quick detailer to maintain the film.
Old 12-18-09, 01:23 PM
YooNiBaLL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by aznpapaya
Andrew, how did you get the cup holder lid off? that's the only part im stuck at.
I actually didn't know how to do pull it off. I didn't want to risk breaking anything so I just put it on the lid while it was still attached to the unit. It's not too bad though.

Originally Posted by IS-K
First off thanks YooNiBaLL for doing this nice write up! Very nice and detailed! Just have a quick question with regards to the exposed trim areas:

Besides the heat/cooling seat dial area, cup holder lid, where else do you see the overlay not fully covering the woodtrim underneath?

I was thinking to cover those areas up with either a black permanent marker or something other members with more experience can suggest to eliminate the red from the woodtrim showing through.

What do you think about that idea? Would it turn out better in your experience?

Thanks again
I was also thinking about covering it with a permanent marker so it is dark and unnoticeable. However, I just decided I'd pick up a roll of CF later and make it nicer. I don't know if I would take permanent marker to the trim even though I could remove it with ethanol or something. Also, the pictures show it all. I tried to show everyone what areas were exposed. If you missed them, I showed the cup holder lid, areas around the gauge, and also around the heat/cool control area. Aerotect did a great job IMHO, it's just that I'm not very good with stickers. Lol

Quick Reply: DIY Carbon Fiber Overlay with Trim Removal